Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What to give as a gift for a baby's first month party?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to give as a gift for a baby's first month party?

Hello all, My bf's sister is having a party for her baby boy next week, who is turning 1 month old. I totally am clueless as to what to give as a gift, i dont know what's appropriate and what's not.. Any cotters can give me advice?

Thanks!

ang bao? fairprice vouchers? to buy milk powder or nappies... hahaa

i have seen people giving few big packets of pampers, milk bottles, baby clothes...

Comment

Thanks faylinn! I think i will give the little one new clothes to wear!

Comment

Clothes are a good buy. Otherwise, since it's for "somewhat family" and you want to give something of more value, go for baby anklets or get something you know they may want and you can afford e.g. baby rocker, particular brand of diapers or milk powder, etc.

Comment

Don't know why, most of the time I will give AP. I think is better ( for me ) because parents can choose to put the money in BB's account, Buy things they need for the BB, like food warmer, little rice cooker, steamer for the kids in future.

That's why I always give cash when come to celebration, housewarming.

Comment

From past experience, Ang Pao or NTUC vouchers are good. NTUC - cause diapers and milk powder are cheaper than Cold storage, $$$ - cause like cotters say, parents can choose to save or spend on things they need.

Don't buy DOM. I've received so many bottles frankly i hardly even drink! Just drank 1/5 of the 1st bottle i have? hahhahahha but if you know your friend loves drinking DOM [knows someone who drinks 2 bottles a month] then yes, please by all means.

I've received vouchers from places like Mothercare - frankly, as the things are more expensive there, the voucher u give will not enable the receipient to change for anything much.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Comment

Diaper Cakes.

These are diapers beautifully wrapped up in useful baby things like towels and wraps, but you can ask for toys and whatever else you want. They look fantastic, and they are always the talk of the bb shower. Because they are hand-made, they are much more personal than the usual baby hampers from florists. Plus, they can work with most budgets.

There are a number of moms in Singapore who run home-based diaper-cakes businesses. I like supporting them, as they know exactly what new moms are looking out for.

You can just google to find them. (I have my favourite, of course, but well, this is no advert for any particular one).

Agree with veraclari - no DOM, please, unless you know the mom enjoys them. I had like 10 bottles!!!

Comment

Is that the trend now giving out DOM? As for my sister, she always buy PAMPERS to the baby, she said this is something that babies MUST USE so help to lighten the burden of the mummies.

I used to think very close families/ families will give GOLD. Mum used to keep them aside and when my baby is born, my mum said she will give me a share of what belongs to me in the past. Anyone still buying GOLD for babies?

Comment

Ang Pow or vouchers?

Unless you are very close to the baby's parents, you may want to ask them if there is any specific item/s that they are looking at?

Comment

Originally posted by Smoochie View Post
                    Is that the trend now giving out DOM? As for my sister, she always buy PAMPERS to the baby, she said this is something that babies MUST USE so help to lighten the burden of the mummies.

I used to think very close families/ families will give GOLD. Mum used to keep them aside and when my baby is born, my mum said she will give me a share of what belongs to me in the past. Anyone still buying GOLD for babies?
                    Gold is more from the previous generation. Current generation are a lot more practical and diapers, milk etc at least can be used rather than gold.

Comment

practical? GOLD is sentimental reason I think. The older generation like to buy gold and keep for the young and for themselves.

When the USD dropped like nobody bussiness, my aunt and my mum sold some of their "small"gold for thousands.

Comment

just wondering what's the norm?

a close friend of mine just gave birth, i've given her baby's present before the baby was born since we meet up quite regularly cos i didn't want to give it to her in the hospital since it will be just an additional thing to carry back home so in the hospital, i only brought her the reddates tea drink since her mom didn't prepare for her.

so now for the baby's 1 month celebration, should i bring another gift for the baby?

my usual practice is to bring the gift to the hospital and i usually skip the 1 month celebration but this time i think i can't skip.

Comment

So far I have received 4 bottles DOM and 2 packs essence of chicken which I don't like to drink.
                          Not really expecting gifts but would much prefer shopping vouchers or cash.
                          As for baby clothes, I received a lot, new ones and hand-me-downs and also bought quite a bit so baby clothes I would feel is not such a good choice.

Comment

i think its better if you ask the mother directly what else does she needs if she is a close friend.. because alot of times, the gifts are duplicates... or just give a red packet...

my buddy's baby 1 year old party, her baby has 4 baby motorbikes as presents!!

Comment

agree, sometimes buy gifts for kids then ended up is the parents who think these gifts are cheapo and the next day, you will see these gifts at eBay.

I ever bought gift for a 4 yr old bday, when I saw her the following week, I asked her, do you like the ballerina girl? She'just stared at me.
                              Last edited by Smoochie; 20-08-2009, 07:48 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X