Eastern Europe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bumping up the thread.

If I am planning for about 2 - 3 days at in both Prague, Bratislava and Budapest, how much of slovak and czech kroners should I bring with me? I am having a hard time determining my budget... Am not worried about Euros.

Comment

Accomodation recommendation & any things to note?

Dear cotters,

I'm going London/Paris/Amsterdam/Prague/Vienna in May. *** is it that i need to look out & any recommendation for accomodation?
      TIA !

Comment

hostel recommendation

Originally posted by butterie View Post
        Dear cotters,

I'm going London/Paris/Amsterdam/Prague/Vienna in May. *** is it that i need to look out & any recommendation for accomodation?
        TIA !
        are u a budget traveller?

For amsterdam i stayed in a place called "the shelter". I'ts a christian runned hostel right smack in the red light district. It's near damrak about 10mins walk from the train station. It's safe at night cos a lot of police patrolling. There is a curfew if i rembr correctly. I stayed in a all girls dorm, which is good if you want to interact with the other travellers for tips.
        http://www.shelter.nl/

Vienna
        stayed in a Aussie runned hostel "wombats". bright cheery place, very clean. only problem was it was a little out of the way. I found it a ***-racist here. Not many asian travellers. so *** recommend.

Prague
        ohh nightmare place. very hard to find accomodation without prior booking. Language is also a problem. I had to settle for this basic B&B place..

Comment

hey girls!
          I'm thinking of going to poland-krakow and auschwitz. Does anybody have any hostel recommendations? What are the places to visit in krakow?

Comment

any good travel agency to recommend to go prague? and not too expensive hotels to recommend in prague?

Comment

Originally posted by grace View Post
              hey girls!
              I'm thinking of going to poland-krakow and auschwitz. Does anybody have any hostel recommendations? What are the places to visit in krakow?
              Hi Grace, how was your trip? I am still saving up (trying very hard to fight all temptations) for my EU trip. Is there any difference between krakow and auschwitz? Since I'm going on a tight budget, I figure one part of Poland will be enough? How many days did you spend in Poland?

Comment

Hey ladies, can anyone advise on whether there's anything worth getting from Prague other than the chocolates? I'm dying to get a warm knitted sweater and was hoping to get it cheaper in Prague than in London. Can someone who's been to Prague advise? I'm just looking for something along the lines of simple brands, just as H&M / topshop if possible...

Comment

Originally posted by delirious View Post
                  Hi Grace, how was your trip? I am still saving up (trying very hard to fight all temptations) for my EU trip. Is there any difference between krakow and auschwitz? Since I'm going on a tight budget, I figure one part of Poland will be enough? How many days did you spend in Poland?
                  Hey! The trip was fantastic. I went to krakow AND auschwitz because the WW2 extermination camp has always been on my top 10 places to go before I die. Plus my friend drove so it was very convenient for us to shuttle between places But if you're not prepared to become depressed (the camps were quite heartbreaking and I couldn't speak for 2 hours after that), then you could skip auschwitz I guess. I heard that warsaw isn't fantastic so if you just want to visit one city, then I'd say krakow!

Comment

any new reviews on eastern europe?

hubbie and i are considering going, either year end (maybe not...think it's too cold) otherwise next spring.

i'm worried that it will be rather depressing/disturbing, cos of all the nazi related sites. am i being ironic?

cos i know most people go to eastern europe with the intention to see hitler's castle, the nazi concentration camps ...etc

i just want to see castles, old churches, distinct looking towns and cities with their cultural quirks, great natural scenery would be a big plus.
                    Last edited by v_ni; 30-04-2008, 12:08 AM.

Comment

v_ni - u will see lots of castle, churches, towns, squares, rivers in eastern europe..in fact for our 3 weeks prague - budapest - krakow - vienna - salzburg trip, we got quite jaded after a while coz it seems to be repeating itself. Austria is ex bec of euro. the other 3 cities are much cheaper - so do yr shoppings there!

Comment

pebs,

oh dear...jaded doesn't sound good...haha...did you go F&E or by tour?

i think we'lll get a land tour, makes my life easier, i don't need to plan extensively. the only prob with most land tours, they seem to be filled with old, retired people!

unfortunately, i think i'm getting too old for contiki, still within the age group but.....

Comment

Working...
                        X