Dos and Don'ts during Confinement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

just out of curiosity...

did you really stay indoors for the whole one month?
    >>>of course not! I went shopping at robinsons & JL with hubby and baby (for short while l.a.) at second week.

did you cover yourself from head to toe and not wear tank tops and shorts?
    >>>Definitely not! I wore shorts and tank top when my mil was around. When shes not around, I wore my nursing bra and shorts LOL- more convenient to BF.

did you wear slippers in the house?
    >>>Yes, but only because I saw a really cute pair at watsons at only $4.99.

did you cover your head with a scarf if you were allowed to go out at night? (theres dew at night)
    >>>Dew? dew is water isnt it?? Of course not, surely I dont think that the water will go through my head?

were you allowed off the bed or treated like a queen? (0r more like an invalid?)
    >>>100% not! I was bathing/changing/diapering/feeding/caring for my baby all by myself since the day I was discharged. My mil was around but I insisted on doing everything cause my hormones went a little crazy and I didnt trust anyone else (apart from hubby) to take care of my precious newborn. Haha so in the end my mil only cooked for us, she didnt even get to change one diaper in that whole month lol.

Comment

Did you really stay indoors for the whole one month?

Nope. I went out shopping after two weeks.

Did you cover yourself from head to toe and not wear tank tops and shorts?

Nope. I wore short-sleeved pyjamas and nighties.

Did you wear slippers in the house?

Yes, only because MIL kept insisting that I do so.

Did you cover your head with a scarf if you were allowed to go out at night? (theres dew at night)

Nope.

Were you allowed off the bed or treated like a queen? (0r more like an invalid?)

I was free to walk around the house and certainly didn't spend the whole 30 days cooped up in my bedroom. Friends and relatives who saw me said I didn't look like a woman in confinement..hehehe..

Oh ya, I washed my hair and showered on the second day. After that, I washed my hair every other day and took showers every day, much to my MIL's horror but she got over it in the end

Comment

Originally posted by fresia
        did you cover your head with a scarf if you were allowed to go out at night? (theres dew at night)
        were you allowed off the bed or treated like a queen? (0r more like an invalid?)
        No.
        No. I wore robe- easier to BF.
        Slippers were only when masseuse was around (like opening door for her or sending her out... then pretend-pretend wear slippers). I couldn't cultivate the habit of keeping them on.
        Dew? LOL! No.
        I didn't have to wash clothes, do housework or cook- so I suppose rather royal treatment.

Oh the red dates water wasn't bad- quite liked it but was told it's heaty, to take in moderation in view of BFG. I didn't manage to use any herbal bathing water, just normal heater water, cos I didn't know how the herbs would react to my c-sect wound and dressing.

Comment

Originally posted by fresia
          just out of curiosity...

nope , went out shopping 3 weeks after i gave birth.

wore mostly sleeveless cotton night gowns because the weather was HOT, impossible to catch a chill .....but i put on socks to keep my ankles warm & also put on a cardigan when my masseue visits.

yes plus ankle socks too because marble flooring is too cool for me.

didnt venture out at night before my confinement ends.

i was allowed to move freely & even brought my baby girl out for some suntanning during her first week

Comment

O/T but poem, your gal is so adorable! I don't know why I only noticed your signature link now.

Comment

Originally posted by Ariel
              I washed my hair and showered on the second day. After that, I washed my hair every other day and took showers every day, much to my MIL's horror but she got over it in the end
              According to my friend who works in KK Women's Hospital, the whole no-showering/washing hair thing came about because in China, the winters were cold and you could truly catch a chill from washing your hair in the depths of winter. But in the tropics, no such risk. She told her MIL that and her MIL said she wasn't being scientific.

Comment

yes yes...i also heard that these confinement tales originated from china where there were cold and harsh winters and makes sense that women should do all those stuff to avoid catching chills!

asked hubby why ang mos don have confinement and never hear them complain about feeling pain in their bones or whatever...hubby only said coz ang mo don know *** is rheumetisim...

anyway if its a concern about rheumetism, how come men who do not give birth will also suffer from that? so its not due to giving birth and not following strict confinement rules?

Comment

Originally posted by mel171103kev
                  O/T but poem, your gal is so adorable! I don't know why I only noticed your signature link now.
                  Thank you Mel. Every child is beautiful in IMO.
                  My girl was also on the heavier side at birth...3.75kg .I was reminded of my girl's newborn period when i saw Athena's photos!

Comment

Did you really stay indoors for the whole one month?

Nope. I went out shopping with hubby after 3 weeks or so.

Did you cover yourself from head to toe and not wear tank tops and shorts?

In this weather? No way! I wore what I usually wore - tank top or tees and shorts or PJ pants. And I even have the aircon on the whole time. lol.

Did you wear slippers in the house?

Nppe. Never had the habit.

Did you cover your head with a scarf if you were allowed to go out at night? (theres dew at night)

I didn't go out at night during confinement. Even if I did, I wouldn't do that.

Were you allowed off the bed or treated like a queen? (0r more like an invalid?)

I was allowed to do whatever I want.

Comment

Hair Shampooing During Confinement

I am doing my confinement right now. Was told not to wash my hair for the entire month

Anyone there follow this religiously?

Heard there's some sort of dry shampoo (powder form) for confinement use. Do you know where I can get one?

I've tried both Chinese medical hall and pharmacy but to no avail.

Please help

Comment

Nope, I did not follow the rule at all. I showered every day (with warm water) and washed my hair on alternate days. My MIL was horrified when she first saw me do that but after a while, she got used to it. Even my confinement lady encouraged me to do it :booty:

By the way, I think the rule was 'invented' because in the olden days in China, people seldom showered or washed their hair due to the cold weather or maybe a lack of water? :huh:

Comment

i showered and washed my hair once i was well enough to get out of bed after delivery

i think the important thing is to dry it properly and not catch a cold.

Comment

i bathed and shampooed my hair in the hospital the day after i got off the drip. Wanted to do it the very day i was off the drip but the nurse didn't allow me to because she was afraid that i may faint in the bathroom.

I'm doing my confinement now and the hot weather is not helping. I've been bathing and washing my hair every day. Just make sure you wash it during the day and blow dry immediately so that you won't catch a chill.

Thankfully my confinement lady is fine with it. She says it's more important to build up strength through nourishing food. Bathing or washing hair doesn't weaken the body so long as you use hot water and don't catch a chill.

I bought the Klorane dry shampoo but did not get to use it at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Ariel
                              Nope, I did not follow the rule at all. I showered every day (with warm water) and washed my hair on alternate days. My MIL was horrified when she first saw me do that but after a while, she got used to it. Even my confinement lady encouraged me to do it :booty:
                              By the way, I think the rule was 'invented' because in the olden days in China, people seldom showered or washed their hair due to the cold weather or maybe a lack of water? :huh:
                              Totally agreed! I bathed everyday but wash my hair like every three days (as requested by MIL) MIL was not too happy when I insisted on bathing every day - guess she has no choice. :eh:

Comment

I think it's just as important to maintain personal hygine even during confinment, what more we are living in a tropical country.

I took bath & wash my hair too but using herbs that I think happybean is referring to. It comes in packets and available in Chinese Herbal shop. Herbs has to be boiled 1st before use.

When washing hands I either use lukewarm water (just run water from shower heater) with soap or instant sanitizer (no water needed) which at 1 time it was very popular during the SARS period.

I think we should be able to achieve harmony by adopting a bit of traditional practice with a modern twist.
                                Last edited by GG; 23-02-2005, 10:09 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X