No announcement yet.

Doing Away with Wedding Dinner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am truly surprised by how more parents are becoming more open. So many of your parents actually do not mind!!

naughtygirl, you have such a dreamy wedding...i could almost see it happening.You must have been very blissful. And i bet you felt like a princess. :bestwish

Comment

i think elaborate weddings with banquets and all are nice, but the reality is money is a great deciding factor
      i would rather put the money for my house (which i already have) and also a good honey moon (round the world trip will be nice)

for my case, it is quite clear cut a banquet will be in place for my SO's family.
      being the eldest son and the 1st grandson, i think chances we cant run...
      oh well, if we cant then it is still okie cos we expected it anyway

my parents dont really mind if we hold a banquet or not, probably they have seen how troublesome it is when my cousin has his wedding dinner...

Comment

Originally posted by Peace
        I am truly surprised by how more parents are becoming more open. So many of your parents actually do not mind!!

naughtygirl, you have such a dreamy wedding...i could almost see it happening.You must have been very blissful. And i bet you felt like a princess. :bestwish
        Hi peace, i did indeed felt like a princess.

And i personally feel that if a couple prefers a smaller wedding party or no party at all, they must still go for their honeymoon and it must be soon after their wedding day.

We flew off the next day after our banquet party and had an enjoyable 2 week honeymoon. The magic, joy and blissfulness extended and when we got back, I am still feeling like a princess.

And there is something very special about honeymoons right after the wedding day. If you wait for a while before going on one, its not quite the same. And these wonderful feelings is not something you can try to create.

Comment

Originally posted by naughtygirl

And there is something very special about honeymoons right after the wedding day.
          Hey, I agree with this statement. Even though we went for only a short 4-5 days trip (hubby couldn't take more time off than that), it was a magical experience! The feeling is so different from a normal trip overseas. Can't explain why but its absolutely the most enjoyable and amazing trip ever. Till today I look back at our little honeymoon trip and still can't help smiling to myself.

Comment

Originally posted by natnatviv
            my parents dont really mind if we hold a banquet or not, probably they have seen how troublesome it is when my cousin has his wedding dinner...
            Yeah, maybe. My friend's mum had such a headache organising her eldest daughter's wedding banquet, that she later told my friend, who's the 3rd daughter, "Right. No wedding dinner for you!"

Comment

pronuptia
              i am the eldest so was quite surprised when my parents said they dont mind not having a dinner
              in fact, they sort of suggest i go for a good honeymoon vacation instead of the usual banquet!

Comment

Originally posted by natnatviv
                pronuptia
                i am the eldest so was quite surprised when my parents said they dont mind not having a dinner
                in fact, they sort of suggest i go for a good honeymoon vacation instead of the usual banquet!
                That's cool. For most of my friends, their parents are the primary (or only) reason why they hold big wedding dinners. In fact, I know two couples who told their parents they would only attend their own wedding dinners if the parents organised and financed the whole thing. And the parents were quite content with that.

When I went for my wedding lunch for my in-laws' side, absolutely nobody cared about the bridal couple. I swear, everybody was just congratulating my in-laws, and hardly looked at my hubby, let alone me. I'm sure most of them didn't even know our names. Still, being left to our own devices suited us just fine. When you've just gotten married, as long as you have each other, the rest of the world could jump off a cliff and you wouldn't care!

Comment

i am actually quite comfortable with having a wedding dinner or wedding lunch. We had a small wedding banquet with 13 tables for our own big day.

But what i dont like is the procedure of traditional wedding banquets. bride only appear during march in ??!!,cut cake ,wedding games???!! , yam seng??!!!, change of 3 or 4 gowns?!?

so for my own wedding, i came down during cocktail reception & took candid photos with everyone , talk to & thanked everyone individually. i had so much fun rather than staying in the room until march in time.

i make do away with cake cutting which i find unnecessary & my SO & i gave a small speech which he ended with a yamseng!!! We had agreed on a bottoms up but i think the alcohol did him in & he got carried away!

& by the way i had on my one eveing gown for the entire night while my vain SO had a change to a smart casual suit at the end of the dinner

Comment

Re: Doing Away with Wedding Dinner

Originally posted by Peace
                    Just out of curiousity, how many of you would not mind doing away with wedding dinner for your Big Day?

For those of you who sees wedding dinner as a must, maybe you can share why so?
                    My eldest brother did without the wedding dinner!
                    Theirs was due to financial constrain. So far, they had no regrets!

Comment

i guess it's not de rigueur these days to have a huge wedding bash

i had to go through mine, traditional parents and all...but i couldn't be bothered to do gown change. i stayed in the normal white wedding dress throughout. i'm sure my guests were grateful too because dinner finished early

Comment

Weird thoughts that may not make sense- recently saw my wedding pics at my mum's place (she has them scattered all over haha) and was kind of "taking stock" of my life.

Well it hit me that the "babe" years are over for me (the wild dating and so on), the baby is coming sometime soon (and I look so... "motherly", even the hubby sees me as a mother instead of a Gal or Wife or, sigh)... and though there's nothing to complain about (happily married and all), the next few exciting events in my life involves organising the baby/ future kids' birthday parties, quietly celebrating my 30s and 40s and so on, attending kids' graduation (IF they graduate), kids' wedding (IF they marry and even then, supposing they want a celebration).

I'd never have the same experience of being in that phase of life where I'm somewhat attractive (though fatter than most) and somewhat young (though abit older than most), celebrating a grand wedding with a somewhat young guy, with all the attention on us "young" newly-weds, with all the gowns I ever wanted to play around with. Even if my hubby should ever become some tycoon and afford a grand anniversary wedding aka the one in the news recently, it just wouldn't be "the same". Perhaps it would feel "richer" having gone through kids and ups and downs of the marriage... but it just wouldn't feel the same as when we were young newlyweds.

So I guess I felt happy we did have a nice-enough wedding, I suppose, though a twinge of sadness it's past. Maybe it's my hormones gone crazy :huh:

Comment

Originally posted by Sharon
                          but i couldn't be bothered to do gown change. i stayed in the normal white wedding dress throughout. i'm sure my guests were grateful too because dinner finished early
                          Same here! i was in my evening gown right from the start. It was too much of a hassle to do gown change. I just wanted to spend more time mingling.

Comment

Originally posted by keiko
                            Same here! i was in my evening gown right from the start. It was too much of a hassle to do gown change. I just wanted to spend more time mingling.
                            and then we chose same place to stay

yeah mel, it's called growing old. cannot escape.

Comment

I'd like a small and personalised wedding dinner - like one of the cotter's mentioned, booking a nice restaurant like Pete's Place would be ideal. I'd love an outdoor wedding but in SG, not very practical. Basically I'd like the wedding to be small and cosy - about 80-100 max for both my side and my hubby's side combined.

But I have a feeling that my wedding (if and when it happens), will turn out to be a big affair. My parents will want to invite all the relations, dad will invite his colleagues and clients and mum will invite her colleagues and friends.

And if i do marry my current beau (which i am hoping to), his parents will also want to invite their many relations and friends.

But at the same time I understand it is a grand affair as it will be the first wedding for my parents and my bf's parents - I'm the eldest daughter and my bf is one of the only two children and his bro is not attached at the moment.

The only thing is that the cost of the wedding dinner is disturbing. The mass in church will be affordable but the dinner - can't imagine the cost, esp when we are also saving up for our home.

But will cross the bridge when we come to it. At present we have not set anything in stone.

Comment

I'll love to do away with Wedding dinner cos i think its far too troublesome and usually, IMO, you do not know most of the people at the dinner. Discussed this with my mum b4, and she say i can go without it if i sponsor dad and her a trip around the world.

IMO..ROM is *****. a small cosy affair among close frens and relatives is *****. A small buffet style dinner by the pool/beach under the stars will be splendid!

Comment

Working...
                                X