No announcement yet.

Doing Away with Wedding Dinner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

But does anyone here who held a small wedding reception still manage to have the traditional tea ceremony? How did you have it? during the reception or some days after it?

Comment

hi kula
      generally the traditional tea ceremony has a certain date you have to adhere to due to auspicious dates and all that. Reception dates depends on your venue availability and your preference of weekday/ weekend.

Some couples have tea ceremony in morning, recep at night on same day.

Others have tea ceremony followed immediately by recep (lunch or dinner). In this case you have to consider logistics; arrange for a private room or corner to do tea ceremony, book the dining room, plan for the flow of program and people from ceremony to recep.

I know of friends who had their tea ceremony on a weekday morning, and a dinner recep on the following weekend, 3 -4 days later. Reason is because the weekday date had to be observed for traditional ceremony due to auspicious date, and the weekend dinner was planned because venue of choice was only available on that weekend.

So it's really up to you. :D

Comment

Thanks ladies for your comments. I really enjoy reading your feedback. I'm the eldest in the family and SO is the only guy in his family. It's far too early to think about marriage but somehow I can't help thinking about it even right now.

I hope to do away with the grand wedding dinner banquet as well and settle for something simple and small scale. But on the other hand, our parents may want it.

I have a colleague who borrows from parents and in-laws for the banquet and ended up having a hard time paying them back. So I am hesitant.

I never thought of the honeymoon as something really crucial. Wow 2 weeks of blissfulness and relaxation. I must start thinking about this now too. hehe...

Comment

citrella, wish i could be like u. tried to do away with the wedding dinner but my family objected to it strongly. we are now just having a rom/tea ceremony cum lunch wedding all on one day to reduce the hassle. the banquet wise, u may not lose that much cos u will still get ang pows. just plan it well and u may reap a little bit.

My advice is to consult his and ur parents. dun commit the same mistake like me and end up getting into bad relationship with them. they have their reasons for wanting the banquet. although i hate all that trouble, i find it slightly enjoyable in the end. there are some fun memories with SO still.

Comment

Im planning to do without a wedding dinner as well. I think is too much of a hassel. My plan is to have the normal groom fetch bride in the morning , tea ceremony and last but not least solemenzation cum lunch buffet or high tea buffet. The end....
            Hope my ideas & plan will turn out well.
            Btw, what does SO stand for?

Comment

I think high tea or lunch buffet sounds great. I was discussing with my friend last night and she thought it was a good idea too - less hassle and most of all, it saves ALOT.

SO means significant other.

Comment

Greetings to all...

newbie here.

Found this tread interesting so joining in e talk

Both of us not into the wedding dinner stuff..and both parents quite heck care about us. (good news perhaps?)

Like the rest, we rather spend the money on getting a flat and reno done.. and possible go for a honeymoon.

Of course we intend to throw some housewarming parties for friends and relatives when the flat is nicely done up.

I think there is more interaction with the guests this way.

Comment

My fairy tale wedding

Me and my SO are from different culture. I'm Singaporean and he is from London.
                  I want to have a wedding dinner because I am very close to my mother side of the family.
                  Even thought there are about 70plus of them. I don't think I am going to invite my dad side because my father wasn't all that great. Anyway we are going to have two weddings, first in
                  Singapore and second in London. (So I thought) It's only recently that I found out that SO wanted
                  to have another wedding in Thailand/ Bali for our(His) friends. I thought that is going to be such a waste of money!!! We don't even have our house yet! I know that he is really excited about the whole affair.

Comment

i hope to do away with wedding dinner too.... my SO and mine parents are okay with this idea as they also can feel the hassles of a banquet.... but just too bad, my grandma love "face", and i believe although our parents say nevermind nevermind, in their heart, they might also love to see us having a wedding dinner, so that they can proudly see us get married.

i was thinking of having a wedding dinner so that my grandma won't lose face and at the same time, i can also have the kind of banquet that i want, those garden/beach theme one.... but i know its impossible because i got a tight budget...... sighz.....

Comment

I am at a contridiction. At times I want to do away with banquets thinking I can save the cash for a great honeymoon. But on the other hand, it's a once in a life time thingy n I really hope to share the joy with my family and friends. And many of my friends who got married did comment that the "march in" time, u will only get to experience it once in a lifetime. And it's so magical...

Comment

Originally posted by Luvying
                        I am at a contridiction. At times I want to do away with banquets thinking I can save the cash for a great honeymoon. But on the other hand, it's a once in a life time thingy n I really hope to share the joy with my family and friends. And many of my friends who got married did comment that the "march in" time, u will only get to experience it once in a lifetime. And it's so magical...
                        hey ying, i actually have the same contradiction as you.. sometimes want banquet, sometimes want to do away with it.

the reason why i want banquet is because, its really once in a lifetime and everyone is doing it, doing it can also earn angbao, and can give my parents some face, afterall they raised me up, its time for me to repay their kindness by giving them a good banquet.

the reason why i want to do away with banquet and settle for a good honeymoon is because don't want the hassles of changing the gown here and there,scared angbao loss, want to save the cash for flat and reno.....don't want yum seng...

and sometimes i even thought of going for a cheap honeymoon to save the $ for flat.... sighz

my mind has been changing non stop

Comment

Originally posted by kula
                          hey ying, i actually have the same contradiction as you.. sometimes want banquet, sometimes want to do away with it.

the reason why i want banquet is because, its really once in a lifetime and everyone is doing it, doing it can also earn angbao, and can give my parents some face, afterall they raised me up, its time for me to repay their kindness by giving them a good banquet.

the reason why i want to do away with banquet and settle for a good honeymoon is because don't want the hassles of changing the gown here and there,scared angbao loss, want to save the cash for flat and reno.....don't want yum seng...

and sometimes i even thought of going for a cheap honeymoon to save the $ for flat.... sighz

my mind has been changing non stop
                          same here kula! But at this moment my mind is kinda set for a banquet. I really really want to experience the kinda feeling that brides went through during the wedding banquet. The wearing of pretty gowns and makeups, lovely hairdos. And people giving their blessing to you.

Maybe I will go for a not-so-expensive hotel and also I don't think we will have alot of tables. Perhaps 20 or so.

Comment

Originally posted by Luvying
                            same here kula! But at this moment my mind is kinda set for a banquet. I really really want to experience the kinda feeling that brides went through during the wedding banquet. The wearing of pretty gowns and makeups, lovely hairdos. And people giving their blessing to you.

Maybe I will go for a not-so-expensive hotel and also I don't think we will have alot of tables. Perhaps 20 or so.
                            Yeap! i want to experience the March-in actually... hee

if you don't have alot of tables, perhaps you can try some very good restaurants...
                            so far, i heard that tunglok group is good,.... at least good food and atmosphere, price range is affordable, for eg Noble house, Paramount

www.tunglok.com

Comment

i'm also doing away with the wedding dinner as i find it rather meaningless. im just gonna have a church wedding and reception after. =)

Comment

Originally posted by kula
                                Yeap! i want to experience the March-in actually... hee

if you don't have alot of tables, perhaps you can try some very good restaurants...
                                so far, i heard that tunglok group is good,.... at least good food and atmosphere, price range is affordable, for eg Noble house, Paramount

www.tunglok.com
                                yupyup!! My SO actually prefers restuaruants as he's more particular with the food. But somehow I prefer hotel? Lol.. Am researching on the prices now. What about you? Any places for banquets you have in mind???

Comment

Working...
                                X