SAHM - Stay At Home Mom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi all,

I think, to be fair to princessk's question, I must confess I do get bored spending so much time (as opposed to being in the office and out after work for at least 12 hours) at home. It's not that there is nothing to do. Conversely, there're plenty of things to do, but some are just really monotonous! Feeding every 3-4 hours, bathing my baby twice a day, washing...

That said, I cherish every moment that I can spend with my baby and his every "first" experience - his first smile, first time he rolled over from tummy to his back, first time he sat on his own. My husband doesn't say it in as many words, but I know he's really bummed out about missing those firsts. Never mind that pedis, massages, and eating meals with both hands are things of the past. Reading Dr. Seuss, squinting to cut tiny finger and toe nails and being given pats by little wet hands is my thing now.

Comment

• Originally posted by princessk View Post
      hi to all the mommies here! im also interested to know more about what you mommies do. i dont have kids yet, don't know if im mentally prepared to have a bb now... very envious and happy for all of you here so xing fu with your kids... but i think i will also choose to be a SAHM next time when i have kids, can take better care of them i feel... just curious, so how do SAHMs like yourselves occupy time? do u ever get bored spending so much of your time at home?
      Boy once you have kids around there are a lot things that you have to sacrifice. Really proud of all the SAHMs. I'm a working mum at the moment. After finish work I have to rush home to cook dinner for the family while my hubby will fetch our daughter from the nanny and keep her occupied while I'm preparing for dinner. After that spend time with her and put her to bed. And by the time she was asleep it was almost my bedtime. Mostly of our routine is revolved around the kids and I'm looking forward to meet some of the mommies for gathering to share some tips on parenting.

Comment

• wow thanks to all the mommies here for sharing. very helpful advice for me.

Comment

• krimie,
          how old's your daughter?

princessk,
          are you planning on starting a family soon?

Comment

• Originally posted by paixsg View Post
            krimie,
            how old's your daughter?

princessk,
            are you planning on starting a family soon?

im thinking abt it, still not sure cos i feel its a big responsibility and i dont know if im ready, and to be honest, i think its quite scary to give birth, all the pain and needles and all... but my mil quite anxious to have grandchild lei... and im quite happy to be a homemaker. lol

Comment

• Hi Princessk,

I am a SAHM with a 16 months girl. When the time i know i was pregnant, i was thinking the same problems like u, eg. child birth pain and etc. I was a working mom till I decided to be a SAHM coz IL problems. Some may feel that it's such a waste for giving up my job (almost 4k per month) to stay at home to look after my girl. I thought I could not take it at first for staying at home 24/7 to look after my little one. I have to admit that I do have moments doubting whether am i doing the right choice and I do get bored at times coz the chores at same everyday. I only take care of my girl. No house chores and cooking coz the maid n MIL are doing them.

Comment

• good life. i dont have this "hao ming". everything i hv to diy tiring but i get to c my kids progress. how many parents can actually c it?? must prepare to make sacrifices & no turning back. fr all the chores & kids screaming, im getting hagged

Comment

• Am "in between" smdotdot and July. :D I do some chores such as putting the clothes to wash and hanging them, and I cook occasionally, when we have guests or when my baby's being cooperative.

Indeed, it's a huge decision to stay home 24/7, and with a newborn baby, you can be sure you won't have much freedom yet. On one hand, toddlers are easier to bring out, but I'm sure there'll be enrichment classes to attend, etc.

Like smdotdot, I constantly doubt my decision to stay home (at least twice a week! haha). Sometimes, I tell myself to submit my resume for a particular job and if they pay me $____, I'll go for it and get a nanny for my baby. But that won't happen. :p I think I'm too accustomed to staying home!

Comment

• i think next time i will have to do everything myself, cos i dont think i can trust maids... plus i very jie pi one, i will drive my maid crazy... lol... think if can manage then i will do myself ba, can save $$ also... but i guess still have to try to maintain a balance between taking care of the family and having own life? hopefully my hubby will help out so i can still enjoy some personal time mayb at night or on wkends, then i can still go out with friends, do online shopping and play games... i hope la...

Comment

• princessk: most importantly is to have a supportive hubby!

Comment

• Hi all
                        just joined today as I was looking for some info on DIY confinement. Happen to see this thread & cannot tahan myself to drop a few notes

I have been working FT all along & stopped work last Nov as my contract was terminated early (i/o end Mar 09) due to bad economy as my company put it. Anyway, I was already 14wks pregnant with no 2 then. My son was nearly six at that time. My plans were completed stop work after contract ends in Mar 09 & be a SAHM.

While I was working, Wesley went to pre-school in the morning & the bus picks him up after school for the after school care in a child care centre & I picked him up at 5.30pm after work. (we are living in remote Australia)

Being a SAHM here is quite xian, not like in Singapore where there are so many things to do (shopping mainly). I kind of miss the days when I was working with income coming in as well.

My normal routine will be getting up at 7am, get Wesley ready for school, send him to school at 8am, then come home & surf the net, watch TVB series (down loaded ones), online shopping, housework or meeting other SAHM for coffee at the shops (1 pathetic shopping complex in the whole town). Picked Wesley from school at 2.30pm & then go thru with his homework when he gets back & prepare dinner at 4pm as hubby comes home at 5.30pm. I enjoyed it in the first month but now getting kind of sick of it. I can say things will be different once bub #2 arrives in early May, caring for him as well as my super active six yo.

However, If i am in Singapore, that will be a different story. I think I will enjoy being SAHM there compared to here

Comment

• Mommies, does ur bb sleep well? mine often making noise in his sleep.. Throwing tantrum, groaning in his sleep.. He is 7 months old.

Thou i am a SAHM but i am really v v tired out by his sleep patterns!

Comment

• DiorSnow79,

I'm currently going through that too!! Is your baby teething, crawling or trying to get to a sitting position from a lying one?

So hard to get my baby to fall asleep - used to be that he would fall asleep 2 hours after he last awoke. now, it's 3, 4 hours before he's willing to sleep. And that's only if I rock him to sleep! Otherwise, he'll be rolling around in bed, crawling up to the head of the bed, then down to the foot.

Also, both his bottom centre teeth are just out so he's quite irritable.

Comment

• Originally posted by karenfung View Post
                              Hi all
                              just joined today as I was looking for some info on DIY confinement. Happen to see this thread & cannot tahan myself to drop a few notes

I have been working FT all along & stopped work last Nov as my contract was terminated early (i/o end Mar 09) due to bad economy as my company put it. Anyway, I was already 14wks pregnant with no 2 then. My son was nearly six at that time. My plans were completed stop work after contract ends in Mar 09 & be a SAHM.

While I was working, Wesley went to pre-school in the morning & the bus picks him up after school for the after school care in a child care centre & I picked him up at 5.30pm after work. (we are living in remote Australia)

Being a SAHM here is quite xian, not like in Singapore where there are so many things to do (shopping mainly). I kind of miss the days when I was working with income coming in as well.

My normal routine will be getting up at 7am, get Wesley ready for school, send him to school at 8am, then come home & surf the net, watch TVB series (down loaded ones), online shopping, housework or meeting other SAHM for coffee at the shops (1 pathetic shopping complex in the whole town). Picked Wesley from school at 2.30pm & then go thru with his homework when he gets back & prepare dinner at 4pm as hubby comes home at 5.30pm. I enjoyed it in the first month but now getting kind of sick of it. I can say things will be different once bub #2 arrives in early May, caring for him as well as my super active six yo.

However, If i am in Singapore, that will be a different story. I think I will enjoy being SAHM there compared to here
                              I have been a sahm since oct 07, still breastfeeding my lil girl. Been a long upcoming 18mths.
                              Breastfeeding journey has been great apart from the night feeding which fortunately has been break through 2 months ago and she had since slept till morning.
                              At home without a helper just me and her and luckily with my 2 pet dogs.
                              Amazing journey i must say.
                              I bake together with her, (she messed up the dough but she enjoys it), cooking for her is fun yet challenging.
                              Maybe you guys can go for outing together, baking, making pottery, anything fun.

Comment

• I became a housewife not by choice. My employment was terminated right after I gave birth to my first child. My position became obsolute, so to speak. And they only gave me a 1 month compensation. The decision was difficult since my hubby's own business wasn't quite stable then. He could afford to pay for all the daily expenses but then I was't having any extras in hand. Renting out my common rooms helps. But I have no regrets after so many years. At least I was there when my child first smile, first called 'mummy', first crawled, first stood up, first loose their baby tooth,.... I was there.

Comment

Working...
                                X