Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aphrael
    replied
    Actually, babies usually smile between the ages of 6-8 weeks, corrected for prematurity. So, for full term babies, that's the time after birth. For premature babies, add the number of weeks he/she came early by. That's the most common age so if your dd is looking like she's smiling, it's still pretty early, so that's a great start. I wouldn't worry about it at all. Doctors don't get excited when babies reach their milestones early - your pediatrician would be skeptical if your child starts smiling that early as the nervous pathways wouldn't have developed. But if it's much later than the usual 8 weeks (corrected for prematurity) it might be a problem with brain development.

When a baby smiles, it's spontaneous. You pretty much just have to hold a new toy and he/she will break into the most ecstatic expression. If it's just like an upward twitch it probably isn't though parents are usually extremely excited.
    Last edited by Aphrael; 26-11-2004, 08:52 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Medusa
    replied
    Baby healthbook already has the milestones... so my baby supposed to smile consciously by now. I can't quite confirm if she does that. Standby with camera trigger forever and can't catch the smile. I think I probably don't know how to make her smile either (oops I forgot to ask Davis to demo some techniques). She does wail consciously though haha.

Leave a comment:

• Aphrael
    replied
    If you're worried about developmental milestones, go get a Denver's developmental milestone chart from your pediatrician. Although all kids are different, there should be a time range where it's considered normal. But I'm sure you guys get your babies checked out by the doctor anyways. It does help when the parents are more aware because the parents are almost always the first ones to notice a problem. HTHS.

Leave a comment:

• naughtygirl
    replied
    I love baby milestones and discovering the new things my baby can do.

Truth is I love babies and this forum but in general, I actually do not like to indulge in too much baby talk with other parents. It can be fun but too much I can't take it. I don't compare but I know others do, I don't get upset by what others say but know others might get upset by what I say so if the conversation is not really fun and interesting and meaningful, I rather not get involved.

Plus, its boring if some parents dominate the conversation and I usually won't say much (cos it becomes really silly to talk too much and the conversation becomes a competition). So basically, I only would get myself involved in meaningful baby conversation when ever possible.

Leave a comment:

• cherie
    replied
    Originally posted by poem

Yup cherie...have been trying to enocurage her to crawl with the above methods. hubby even went to buy a "crawling baby" toy that crawls & sings twinkle twinkle little star.
    Crawling toy? I've seen a few but never buy them before.. i know one that rolls around for the baby to catch but definitely havent seen one that crawls and sings
    Interesting

All the best

Leave a comment:

• Jen_Babez
    replied
    deleted-------------
    Last edited by Jen_Babez; 16-03-2008, 04:32 PM.

Leave a comment:

• poem
    replied
    Secondly, u can start crawling yourself for demo and encouragement purposes, that's what i did Seems more fun to them in a way seeing their mom is doing it and they will wanna copy too

And lastly, u can put a toy or food or something interesting in front of your baby for him/her to reach out and slowly, add the distance.

Yup cherie...have been trying to enocurage her to crawl with the above methods. hubby even went to buy a "crawling baby" toy that crawls & sings twinkle twinkle little star.

Leave a comment:

• cherie
    replied

Really makes me stressed out when people asked me: So...can she crawl yet?
    Hubby have been religiously conducting crawling lessons with her ....but she usually cries & fusses after 20 mins of "lesson".
    Wow.. 20 mins is long! My baby crawls for less than 10 mins (soldier crawl) and he'll wanna be picked up already, unless there are toys

Stressed out when questioned by people regarding baby's milestones? I'm numbed to that already.. At first, i was really conscious when friends tell me what their baby can do and i'll be wondering , why my baby cant do that yet etc.. but now, i'll just smile and say, nope, baby can't do that yet.. Nothing to be ashamed off. All babies are different. There are things which other babies can do and my baby cant do but some things my baby can do but others cant do.. No sweat

But i do HATE it when my mil always says, why your baby so small size, cannot grow fat and she'll compare my baby with other babies, saying oh, that mom is so clever and capable, can manage to bring up the baby to become so fat and chubby.. -DUH-

Inside, i'll be thinking hey, it's not my fault that your grandsons got your family genes, generally very slim people ok, eat like a cow but still not fat :bore:

Leave a comment:

• cherie
    replied
    Originally posted by mel171103kev
    Yes! I read that some famous (but radical) school has their primary school age kids crawl around for half-hr before lessons start, to good results. Helps in left-right brain something, as well as body coordination. :huh:
    Yeah yeah.. my sister told me the same thing too about the school thingie. Was telling me how important crawling is and i MUST make my children crawl.. lol

Leave a comment:

• Medusa
    replied
    Yeah, tend to get stressed over these developmental milestones- I still can't confirm if my baby smiles consciously yet. It's like an upward twitch, followed by wrinkling of forehead and impending tears. Oh well.
    Wow, 20mins so long? We do several sessions on weekends... total in 1 day is 10-15mins. As expected, seems some babies like being on their tummies... some will fuss.

Leave a comment:

• momopeach
    replied
    I feel ya. For awhile, my mum was stressing me out too by comparing Mila with her friend's grandson who was suppossedly very advanced in everything for his age. As long as your baby is doing ok for his age group, then just don't bother what others said.

Leave a comment:

• poem
    replied
    Yup i read before that crawling helps in developmental in the future.
    Hubby have been religiously conducting crawling lessons with her ....but she usually cries & fusses after 20 mins of "lesson".
    Thank you for the tips & info gals.
    Hopefully there will be some improvement!

Leave a comment:

• Medusa
    replied
    Originally posted by cherie
    Heard and read that crawling is good for child's future developments so it's advisable to encourage your baby to crawl for at least 2 months before walking.
    Yes! I read that some famous (but radical) school has their primary school age kids crawl around for half-hr before lessons start, to good results. Helps in left-right brain something, as well as body coordination. :huh:
    I'm already trying to encourage the soldier crawl, first we started with her curled up on hubby's tummy (or mattress, we prefer hubby's tummy cos more comforting), then we progressed to putting her on the mattress and letting the soles of her feet press against our hands. She manages some sort of assisted soldier crawl for... a few inches?

Leave a comment:

• cherie
    replied
    Mummies of older babies & toddlers....when did your baby started to crawl? mine is coming close to nine months old but she doesnt seem to take that first crawl yet. However she manuveors quite well in a baby walker.
    Hi poem,

My baby started at 6.5 months but not the 4 legged crawl though. It's the 'soldier' crawl..

Like what momopeach said, crawling stage is from 6-10 months, so nothing to worry about. However, there are babies who skip the crawling stage all together and proceed to walking. Heard and read that crawling is good for child's future developments so it's advisable to encourage your baby to crawl for at least 2 months before walking.

Things u can do to help your baby to crawl is get rid of the baby walker ( i know it's really convenient but walker does slow them down in their milestones according to some reseaches), or cut back the time spent on walker.

Secondly, u can start crawling yourself for demo and encouragement purposes, that's what i did Seems more fun to them in a way seeing their mom is doing it and they will wanna copy too

And lastly, u can put a toy or food or something interesting in front of your baby for him/her to reach out and slowly, add the distance.

Hope this helps

p.s: my firstborn started 'walking' first before crawling (4 legged) at 10 months old

Leave a comment:

• momopeach
    replied
    Hi poem, I think my baby started crawling at about 7 .5 months old. But I read that from here most babies starts crawlin between 6 to 10 months, so no worries.

I find this Baby Developmental Milestone Chart pretty useful: http://www.babycenter.com/general/ba...ment/6476.html

Leave a comment:

Working...
X