Pre-Pregnancy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ginger, you sure plan well in advance!

I'm not taking any multi-vit, I only took 400mcg of folic acid when I was TTC, that's all. Hosp-wise, you might want to find a good gynea you want to stick to, then find out what hospital he/she can deliver your baby. IMO, most private hospitals in singapore are pretty up to standard (the usual gleneagles, Mt A, TMC, Mt E, and so on), so the choice of gynea might be more of a reason to base your decision on.

Comment

Originally posted by mango
      Ginger, you sure plan well in advance!

I'm not taking any multi-vit, I only took 400mcg of folic acid when I was TTC, that's all. Hosp-wise, you might want to find a good gynea you want to stick to, then find out what hospital he/she can deliver your baby. IMO, most private hospitals in singapore are pretty up to standard (the usual gleneagles, Mt A, TMC, Mt E, and so on), so the choice of gynea might be more of a reason to base your decision on.
      Heehehehehe too many people claim their pregnancy is an "accident" Anyway, just in case I get pregnant, so I wanted to have a peace of mind. I've been taking normal vits from GNC, but just thought that I should include folic acid into my daily dosage. I was just wondering whether 400mcg is too little?????

Where are you popping? I am deciding between Gleneages and Raffles (my hubby think Raffles is good, I' m not so sure. Most good gynaes that are recommended to me is at Glen) IMO no offense to anyone, Mt E is horribly overpriced for mid range service.

Comment

Originally posted by ginger
        Just so that I can have a piece of mind should I be pregnant (was not planning, even now, just let nature take its course) The test consist of pap smear, a scan, blood tests.
        Hi Ginger,

I'm definitely planning -- planning NOT to get pregnant until next year, at least.

I'd like to know what sort of things a pre-pregnancy test tests for -- pap smear's for cervical cancer, right? What about the scan and blood tests?

And out of pure nosiness -- feel free not to answer this bit -- are you not using any form of family planning ie letting nature take its course quite literally? Cos if you're doing that, then I can see why the tests would be timely, but if you're actively using contraceptive methods, then I'm thinking, darn, I should get off my lazy butt and start preparing for pregnancy too!

Comment

Heehehehehe too many people claim their pregnancy is an "accident" Anyway, just in case I get pregnant, so I wanted to have a peace of mind. I've been taking normal vits from GNC, but just thought that I should include folic acid into my daily dosage. I was just wondering whether 400mcg is too little?????

Where are you popping? I am deciding between Gleneages and Raffles (my hubby think Raffles is good, I' m not so sure. Most good gynaes that are recommended to me is at Glen) IMO no offense to anyone, Mt E is horribly overpriced for mid range service.
          I don't think 400mcg is too little, cause dont forget, folic acid is also available from food we eat, and this is supposed to be a supplement after all. Babies are smart, they take the best from their mummy, no worries about your baby not getting what she needs if you're preggie.

I'm delivering in TMC cause that's where my gynea's clinic is (more convenient for him and me). Plus I've heard plenty of good reviews about the good service and how the nurses there are very pro-BF.

Comment

Originally posted by Pronuptia
            Hi Ginger,

I'm definitely planning -- planning NOT to get pregnant until next year, at least.

I'd like to know what sort of things a pre-pregnancy test tests for -- pap smear's for cervical cancer, right? What about the scan and blood tests?

And out of pure nosiness -- feel free not to answer this bit -- are you not using any form of family planning ie letting nature take its course quite literally? Cos if you're doing that, then I can see why the tests would be timely, but if you're actively using contraceptive methods, then I'm thinking, darn, I should get off my lazy butt and start preparing for pregnancy too!
            Actually I am quite bad. I am not sure what kind of tests I should go for. But I know there is one test you defintely need to take, that is to check for Thelmassia (I can't spell!!!!) I just went to the doc and told her that I am thinking of trying for a baby and I think I need some tests!!! So she told me what is necessary and what is not. My husband is probably better at remembering what test is for what!! I have the tests results somewhere, let me go home n dig it out.

Heheheeh you are right, I am not using any form of contrceptives. But its not that easy to conceive for me. We spend one month overseas and came back thinking how can I NOT BE PREGNANT?? But I wasn't! Anyway we are not rushing to have one, so so far not counting of dates or temperature or whatever, we just urm.....do when we feel like it!

FYI my tests cost about 200plus

Comment

I don't think 400mcg is too little, cause dont forget, folic acid is also available from food we eat, and this is supposed to be a supplement after all. Babies are smart, they take the best from their mummy, no worries about your baby not getting what she needs if you're preggie.

I'm delivering in TMC cause that's where my gynea's clinic is (more convenient for him and me). Plus I've heard plenty of good reviews about the good service and how the nurses there are very pro-BF.
              Right you put me at ease. I seriously think that a whole bottle of folic acid might be too much for me !! AHAHAH but just need to ease my mind!

hiaz TMC is too far for me, so my choice is either Raffles or Glen. Most prob I will opt for Glen as its nearer to me and my families.

Comment

I am not using any form of contrceptives.
                Phew! Thanks! Now I can go back to sitting on my lazy butt!

I love the sound of "letting nature take its course" -- sounds all sweetness and light, then you can tell the baby that he/she was completely a gift from god in his good time etc. But I'm such a compulsive planner, the uncertainty would drive me insane I think!

Comment

hiaz TMC is too far for me, so my choice is either Raffles or Glen. Most prob I will opt for Glen as its nearer to me and my families.
                  Glen is a good choice. I've heard many good reviews about their service (I'm quite particular about service) and initially wanted to take Glen or Mt E, but decided against Mt E because of location (what if I go into labour on a weekend afternoon?! Then I'll probbaly be stuck in that dreadful weekend jam). And just when I was sourcing for a gynea in Glen a friend recommended me a gynea from TMC whom I then visited and felt very comfortable with. And since TMC is not too bad either, TMC it is then!

BTW, I do think that Mt E's service standard is really impressive, I used to see a GP quite regularly from Mt E, and everytime I step into the hosp, I'm greeted by polite smiles from everyone, that was why I initially wanted to deliver at Mt E.

Comment

Originally posted by Pronuptia
                    I love the sound of "letting nature take its course" -- sounds all sweetness and light, then you can tell the baby that he/she was completely a gift from god in his good time etc. But I'm such a compulsive planner, the uncertainty would drive me insane I think!
                    Hahahaha I think I am a complusive planner too! but then I realise its not that easy to actually "plan" for the baby, so I just give up and if it comes, it comes! As you say, its a gift from god! and I am sure we would be able to fit our lifestyle around the little precious!!!!

Comment

Glen is a good choice. I've heard many good reviews about their service (I'm quite particular about service) and initially wanted to take Glen or Mt E, but decided against Mt E because of location (what if I go into labour on a weekend afternoon?! Then I'll probbaly be stuck in that dreadful weekend jam).

BTW, I do think that Mt E's service standard is really impressive, I used to see a GP quite regularly from Mt E, and everytime I step into the hosp, I'm greeted by polite smiles from everyone, that was why I initially wanted to deliver at Mt E.
                      I agree with the jam part!!! I used to think Mt E have very good service and I do encounter good service when I was there. But this time round during my cousin's stay, the nurses are not as great as they used to be. Probably we were also comparing them with the super friendly n nice nurses over at Glen.

Comment

I agree with the jam part!!! I used to think Mt E have very good service and I do encounter good service when I was there. But this time round during my cousin's stay, the nurses are not as great as they used to be. Probably we were also comparing them with the super friendly n nice nurses over at Glen.
                        yep yep, i got stuck in the jam when i decided to admit myself at 8-min apart contractions. that was like 12pm sat afternoon - the stress level was darn high. thank God for the breathing exercises taught at antenatal class!

agree on the nurses bit, i had a terrible experience with service. the nurses were hopeless when it came to breastfeeding and there were no LCs around because it was a weekend.
                        Last edited by Moo; 18-08-2004, 05:36 PM.

Comment

hi Pronuptia

My first pregancy was not plan either cos i have being using contraceptive method cos we have plan to have children only after i turn 30.
                          I think it better to have a check up as soon as you can, as you hear there are many accident around ( not plan ). Some time think just dont work the way you want them too

Comment

Tell me about it! This weekend I'm attending a baby shower for a baby that was conceived barely one month after the wedding! The groom said they'd planned to wait a long while before conceiving. The best-laid plans....

Comment

Hi Keiko thanks for sharing your story. Now you have to take good care of yourself!!

Anyone have any preference to which hospital they might want to deliver in? I know I am waaaaaaaay ahead...I'm not even pregnant yet HAHAHAHAHAHAAHhahahahaah
                              I initially felt that Raffles hospital is a good choice because it's new and accessible (can go shopping at bugis after that! )
                              That was why i chose to see a gynea there initially.

I subsequently changed gynea and mango is right. I think it's better to choose gynea first and see which hospital he / she delivers in. My current gynea is at Mt Alvernia. Although the hospital is a bit old, i'm very comforted by the thought that it's a catholic hospital. When i was waiting for my blood test result to confirm this pregnancy, i went to the chapel there and it gave me this peaceful feeling. I'm glad that i've made the switch there.

Comment

We wanted to conceive after wedding, but I procrastinated on the gynae visits/ check-up (I couldn't even decide on a gynae).

Married in Nov, by Chinese New Year, his relatives were all asking why I wasn't pregnant (they probably thought we would hit the jackpot wedding night itself huh), even his half-senile granny took me aside and suggested I discreetly go for a check-up "to make sure everything is fine".

I started panicking and thinking we must have some problems (I have friends my age who've either been married years and still having trouble, or married years and had treatment, or married years and both healthy and trying but still not hitting jackpot,etc etc, so I was rather concerned). But hubby was laid-back and not too anxious.

When we confirmed pregnancy mid-Feb, I still hadn't gone for check-up, nor found a gynae, nor even had any clue what my period cycle was/ ovulation all that. But I had sort of started on my folic acid (not very disciplined). I randomly chose a gynae, thinking her location and opening hours were very convenient- and was considering switching to a "recommended" gynae later on. But of course, never got round to switching because hubby was very reassured by her during his questionings and had confidence in her.

We're opting Eastshore hospital (my gynae has her own clinic in Gleneagles which is near my current place, as well as night hours at Bedok which is near my mum's place and my hubby's workplace, plus she delivers at Gleneagles as well as Eastshore). Nearer EDD I'd be moving to my mum's place, so more convenient travelling-wise.

Comment

Working...
                                X