Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Miyamoto
    i am very curious about something....
    big breast doesnt mean got alot of milk, right?
    this is what i heard of...
    advise me if i am wrong...
    yes you are right, size has nothing to do with it

Comment

thanks dearies for your wonderful advices..
      but i still have some queries.. TIA for answering them patiently..

milk production will commence about 3-4days after delivery.. so meanwhile my baby need not b fed?? will he go hungry... keke~ n if i were to allow formula milk to b fed while i wait for my own milk production.. will he eventualy reject my milk?

Comment

Originally posted by crystal
        yes you are right, size has nothing to do with it
        heehee...
        thanks...
        lucky...

Comment

do the nurses realy do accordingly to what we ask them to do?

Comment

Hmm... although in theory milk only come in about 3/4 days. But I am the lucky one that colostrum came in immediately. A few of my gfs too.
            At least the nurse who help me examined my breasts and told me "you have colostrum ready for baby."

Not so lucky as I was in pain (due to the C-section), hence unable to feed baby, hence led to no simulation until 5 days later I have to simulate my breasts with a manual pump and occassionally baby sucking. From then onwards, I suffered from undersupply badly.

I do agree that there is no need to pump if your baby can feed directly and very often.
            But in any case, (touch wood!), the breastfeeding didn't go very well, or baby cannot feed etc, it is good to simulate the nipples by pumping right away.
            It is very very unlikely that by pumping alone in the early stage will lead to oversupply of milk as a pump is much less effective than baby sucking. It will only help you tell the brain that there is a baby to feed.

However it is very important to establish a demand for milk (either by feeding or pumping) as early as possible so as not to run into undersupply problem.
            I learn the hard hard way and have not enough milk to feed baby via pumping for the first 3 months. (I exclusive pump). Even now, I have to fight to keep up with my baby demand by pumping.
            Last edited by Bashful; 19-05-2005, 12:44 PM.

Comment

by milk coming in on 3rd/4th day, i meant the liquid starts looking like milk. colostrum is available immediately...

Comment

Correct me if I am wrong. There are certain food to help you produce more milk right? Like some papaya and fish soup? One of my gf's husband cook for her during confinement. She mention she ate alot of sesame food. She had so much milk!

Comment

sesame oil laden food is confinement food. i don't think it has any effect in improving milk supply.

foods like green papaya (must be green!) + fish soup is very good for improving suppply. i also took fenugreek supplments which helped too.

Comment

oh... stupid me!!

I know lot of women have good result by taking fernugreek. But I am the really unlucky one. It did nothing to my milk supply and give me bad diarrhoea & tummy upset.

When taking fernugreek, you must also look out for diarrhoea in baby, as some babies will react to it by having running stools or very gasy.

My baby no problem, but I have problem with this herb.

Comment

crystal where can you get the fenugreek supplments?

Comment

I also don't think sesame oil laden food helps supply.

Comment

ginger, i got mine from GNC. However, the last time i went and asked for my friend, the SA said they were going to stop bringing it in. During my search i did find alot of stores on the internet that sold it, maybe you can do a search on google. alternatively, you can make fenugreek tea using the herb itself. that's what my lactation consultant taught us actually. you can buy it from indian spice shops. it's apparently quite a commonly used indian herb.

bashful, i've been wanting to comment on your cute avatar... so cute! is that a towel over valerie's head? looks like she's wearing a big sun-hat

Comment

crystal, thanks for the information!!

Comment

oops i guess i was lucky then

Comment

while waiting for the milk supply to come, i just have to feed my baby on colostrum?

went for the hospital tour at TMC yesterday. i saw the babies in the nurseries.. aiyo!! so cute..

Comment

Working...
                                X