• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
    Priscillia
    Cozy Rookie

• Priscillia
    replied
    thanks dearies for your wonderful advices..
    but i still have some queries.. TIA for answering them patiently..

milk production will commence about 3-4days after delivery.. so meanwhile my baby need not b fed?? will he go hungry... keke~ n if i were to allow formula milk to b fed while i wait for my own milk production.. will he eventualy reject my milk?

Leave a comment:

• wanderlust
    Cozy Celeb

• wanderlust
    replied
    Originally posted by Miyamoto
    i am very curious about something....
    big breast doesnt mean got alot of milk, right?
    this is what i heard of...
    advise me if i am wrong...
    yes you are right, size has nothing to do with it

Leave a comment:

• wanderlust
    Cozy Celeb

• wanderlust
    replied
    Originally posted by Priscillia
    what do u mean by that? dont realy understand..
    it's due to the production of hormones that will cause uterine contraction which may cause you to go into labour

anyway, milk production depends on the baby's needs, so as long as latch on is ok, no need to pump. baby's stimulation is enough. don't be overly anxious, it's normal for milk to come in on 3rd/4th day. also, don't be in a hurry to pump on the first couple of days because you don't know how good your flow is. some people have the trouble of oversupply which makes it difficult for baby to feed. So before your milk comes in naturally, it's best not to pump.

most hospitals do have classes for bf. but what happened to me was, i gave birth at 5am, due to epidural did not get off bed till noon. missed the first day's lesson (they have it everyday at 10am), only managed to go for second day. in the meantime i already attempted to latch baby on for at least 6-7 times on my own, and I didn't know how to do it, nurses were not helpful as they didn't seem to know, by then the baby was already doing it wrongly and i was in pain...

luckily my lactation consultant actually goes around and attend to patients who ask her for extra help after class, so i got some help although it could have been better if i had an idea before hand.

Leave a comment:

• Miyamoto
    Cozy Rookie

• Miyamoto
    replied
    i am very curious about something....
    big breast doesnt mean got alot of milk, right?
    this is what i heard of...
    advise me if i am wrong...

Leave a comment:

• SummerDay
    Cozy Rookie

• SummerDay
    replied
    My stay at TMC is ok, no problem at all. i did borrow the manual breast pump from the nurse as that time my milk has already come in and baby was not available to drink at that time, they did not charges me at all. Wonder how come Bashful_1119's friend was told no pump can be borrow but i must say so every hospital have good and not so good nurse, so Bashful_1119's friend might just be unlucky to have meet a not so good nurse. My SIL has just give birth in TMC too, her comment was the night duty nurse is better.

Breast milk will only come in on the 3rd or 4th day after giving birth, but you should let baby latch on as soon as you can to simulate your brain for producing milk. You have to worry about the baby will be hundry while you waiting for your milk to come cos meanwhile you will producd colostrum which is very good for your baby this will keep your baby full and while baby is birth they actually have a three day reserve to wait for your milk to come in.
    In order to have a better chance of getting baby to latch on dont give baby any bottle feeding at all in the initial stage. If baby really need to have FM ask the nurse to do spoon feed so baby will not have nipple confuse

Leave a comment:

• Priscillia
    Cozy Rookie

• Priscillia
    replied
    Originally posted by Bashful_1119
    Forgot to mentioned, simulate of nipples is a huge no no if you are still pregnant. It will induce birth.
    what do u mean by that? dont realy understand..

Leave a comment:

• Bashful
    Cozy Rookie

• Bashful
    replied
    Yup. So as to fake demand, trick the brain to make the breast produce milk.

Forgot to mentioned, simulate of nipples is a huge no no if you are still pregnant. It will induce birth.

Leave a comment:

• Priscillia
    Cozy Rookie

• Priscillia
    replied
    ic.. so immediately after giving birth, if my baby doesn't latch on i can try to pump so that it stimulates the production yahh.. thanks!
    enlightened...

Leave a comment:

• Bashful
    Cozy Rookie

• Bashful
    replied
    Breastmilk will come in if you try to simulate either by feeding or pumping as soon as you give birth.

You will be very surprise that alot of doctors are pro formula feeding, because they spend hrs of training on benefits of formula sponsored by wealthy formula companies. Little education was given for breastfeeding as few sponsored education on breastfeeding.

Some lactation consultants are very scared of Pedi.

But of course, not that formula are evil or Pedi are bad.

Leave a comment:

• Priscillia
    Cozy Rookie

• Priscillia
    replied
    omg! thats bad.. :Doh:
    SummerDay, how was ur stay at TMC?

Originally posted by Bashful_1119
    The doctor did not even check her and just told her her milk will come in on the 4th day
    man, the doc is being so irresponsible! i dont think such behaviour of a doctor is being approved in any hospital ya.

breast milk is produced once baby is delivered or ...? keke.. i am not sure about this also. Or even before delivery?

my colleague's wife is working in TMC, not a nurse thou. She's in good contact with the nurses and doctors. I guess it will b of some aid to me when i'm hospitalised there.. anyw, thanks bashful! i'l b more cautious n not let them push me over there. ... lolx

Leave a comment:

• Bashful
    Cozy Rookie

• Bashful
    replied
    Gal, not to scare you, but my friend who delivered at Thomson medicial did not have a very good experience for breastfeeding.

The nurses are not exactly very supportive and her baby was bornt 1 month early. The doctor did not even check her and just told her her milk will come in on the 4th day. In the mean time, just give mik powder to fatten her.
    My friend attempt to ask for a breast pump to start pumping but to her surprise they do not have pump available for mothers. If they want a pump, they will have to buy, and they only have manual pump that cost more than S$100.

In the end, I brought her the Medela PIS I brought from ebay on the same day. And guess what, within 2 pumping sessions, she has some milk came in for her baby.

I also passed her 5 tiny bottles of my frozen milk as she told me she is comfortable with her baby taking some of my milk. But in the end, they throw all away, because the nurse, did not put the frozen milk in freezer but all the 5 bottles in the chiller!!
    I am very surprise and angry that their nurses do not know how to handle breastmilk for baby.

It is also very difficult for her to get hold of the hospital LC as she is very busy.

But other than the breastfeeding part, my friend have good experience with the hospital.

Hope that I don't scare you. But it may be a good idea to prepare yourself in advance.

Leave a comment:

• Priscillia
    Cozy Rookie

• Priscillia
    replied
    i am also goin to Thomson Medical to deliver.. keke! just nice to have advices from u.

the classes they conduct is during the hospital stay there? or after..

Leave a comment:

• SummerDay
    Cozy Rookie

• SummerDay
    replied
    No problem you can alway ask the nurse to help and teach you how to start on breast feeding, this is what i did hee hee too lazy to attend any class during my preggie
    Not very sure about watching nurse bathing for baby, cos i was taking all the time i can to while baby was send back to nursery, cos scare that i will not be able to have enough rest when baby go home . But i dont think you are allow to watch nurse bathing the baby on normal routine cos they do it in the nursery and nursery is out of bound to outsider. But they will have a class everyday to show new parent how to bath n feed the baby.

Ooh... forget to mention i birth in TMC, not sure is it the same for other hospital too

Leave a comment:

• Priscillia
    Cozy Rookie

• Priscillia
    replied
    i thot after delivery the nurse will teach the proper way of breast-feeding.. don't they? we can request to stay around n look when the nurses bathe my baby too, right?

Leave a comment:

• wanderlust
    Cozy Celeb

• wanderlust
    replied
    yes priscilla, no need special care to prepare for bf. just lots of stimulation when baby comes. in fact if the hospital allows, start in the delivery room asap once baby and mummy are cleaned up

however, for best results, its best to attend some classes and learn what is a proper latch on so that you have an idea. my baby didn't latch on properly for the first two days because i had no idea and by the time i could attend the hospital's lesson, my baby was already nipple-sucking which was wrong and delayed the progress because i was in such pain.
    wanderlust
    Cozy Celeb
    Last edited by wanderlust; 17-05-2005, 09:09 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X