X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SummerDay
    replied
    yeah i finally received my breast pump.
    I have order the Ameda Backpack style from website via Vpost to Singapore and finally received it today
    Need to go home and feature how to use it.

Leave a comment:

• Bashful
    replied
    Hi Lumos,

I agree with makeupmag, ask ur cousin to get a lactation consultant and fast. ( I went too late)

My baby also scream like I was beating her up whenever I tried to breastfeed her. In fact, she screamed at the sight of my breasts. And no, I have milk for her from the first day, right after birth.

The baby might be suffering from nipple confusion as bottles is soooo much easier than the breasts. If she want to be successful, she really should not give bottles, if not the baby will prefer bottles more and more and make the situation worse.
    Also, baby may not latch on correctly, hence getting little milk.

Breastfeeding is extremely stressful when everybody is kind of like "watching" u.
    I strongly believe that all women has enough milk for their babies. If not, centuries ago where there is no formula, how did the babies live? When there is no alternative, things just will happen.

Also, very important, try to ask ur cousine NOT TO STRESS. The baby can feel it.

Leave a comment:

• makeupmag
    replied
    Hi lumos - perhaps you could tell your cousin in law to breastfeed privately, or tell her husband to tell relatives to keep away? All this intervention is very stressful for a first time mother, in this vulnerable post partum period and this interferes with her milk supply too!

Also, it is unlikely that she has not enough milk - she needs to work out the problems feeding formula caused (if formula has been fed). Additionally, her type of birth may determine the fussiness of the baby as well, i.e. the baby may be fussy because of drugs still in his/her system.

The crying (from the way you described) could stem from nipple confusion as Ariel pointed out. This would be a very precarious time in establishing a bfg relationship, becase the mom would be stressed and fear that the baby would have no milk, and feed formula which as mango pointed out, would be detrimental to supply. If she is truly serious about nursing, she must have the determination to stop ALL formula and persevere in nursing.

If it's not formula, it's porbably the latch - perhaps the baby is not sucking correctly. This link may help:
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/positioning.html

Btw, if she feels engorged or uncomfy, hot water compresses, cabbage leaves would alleviate the pain. Sometimes nursing the baby in a warm bath or when the baby is semi drowsy helps.

Why not get her to visit a lactation consultant as well?
    Last edited by makeupmag; 11-09-2004, 11:38 PM.

Leave a comment:

• lumos
    replied
    as far as i know the baby has been breastfed since day 1. my aunt keeps complaining to my mum cos she cannot stand the baby crying so i was just wondering

good info to know, thanks for all your help ladies

Leave a comment:

• Ariel
    replied
    I agree with what mango has said because that's what the books say as well.

Also, was the baby bottle-fed before she was latched on? If so, the baby may have developed something called 'nipple confusion'. It's so much easier to suck from a bottle than a mother's nippe so babies will of course fuss a lot (cry like crazy like lumos said) when she's being latched on since the milk flow is so much slower. This is what happened to my niece as well. She was bottle-fed at the hospital and when my SIL tried to latch on, she fussed so much that my SIL gave in and bottle-fed her. This went on for two days and her milk supply eventually dwindled to zero. She blamed it on her flat chest but we all know that the size of your breast doesn't determine how much milk you can produce.

Leave a comment:

• mango
    replied
    Originally posted by lumos
    not a mom but just wondering cos my cousin-in-law (my cousins wife) just gave birth recently and it seems like she is really not producing any milk at all. so can there be a case where the mom really cant produce milk? cos her baby cries like crazy everytime she tries to feed him :huh:
    Newborns (presuming they are not underweight or premature or anything like that) can go up to 3 days without milk cause they are born with more than enough reserves. How often is your cousin latching her baby on? The more she latches (whether there is milk or not), the more the baby suckles, the more it stimulates her milkflow. Alot of new mothers gave up latching during the first few days cause they dont think they're producing enough milk and resort to feed FM (formula milk). The thing is, when baby is already fed, there's no demand for BM, and when there is no demand, the already-low/non-existent supply dips even further due to lack of stimulation, so it becomes a vicious cycle. These are just my $0.02's worth. I'm sure the more experienced mums will be able to offer even better and more practical advice.

Leave a comment:

• lumos
    replied
    not a mom but just wondering cos my cousin-in-law (my cousins wife) just gave birth recently and it seems like she is really not producing any milk at all. so can there be a case where the mom really cant produce milk? cos her baby cries like crazy everytime she tries to feed him :huh:

Leave a comment:

• Bashful
    replied
    Good to realise it now then before getting into trouble

I am getting a pump call "whisper wear" from ebay.
    Lucky it is power by AA batteries. :roll:
    I have placed a bid for it.

Leave a comment:

• Moo
    replied
    it will definitely need a transformer because its US voltage....so buying a pump off ebay might not be feasible, unless you don't mind using a transformer all the time.

(bashful - i made a similar recommendation on another forum and one of the members pointed this out to me).

Leave a comment:

• Bashful
    replied
    That I am not so sure too.
    But it could be problemtic. Ask the seller before buying?

Leave a comment:

• Moo
    replied
    hi bashful, what about converter problems if purchases are bought from ebay? i understand electrical products from US need a transformer. that makes it very troublesome right?

Leave a comment:

• SummerDay
    replied
    Have ask around and do some reading up from the website, i feel that i prefer Ameda than Medela

Mog,
    Thank for your infor, will check the Ameda website

Leave a comment:

• Bashful
    replied
    Sometimes, it is cheaper to buy through ebay in USA. (Can be as much as S$200 for Medela Pump In Style)
    Even after paying for the high shipping cost.
    But again, I don't know how the warranty will work out.
    It is quite straight forward, U just need a credit card and a Paypal account.

If u are going mums and babes, ask to test out the different pumps. They will be happie to accommodate.

Individual people react to differently to different brands / Models of breastpump.
    Some even find manuel pump works wonderful for them (not for me!).

Leave a comment:

• mogmick
    replied
    Summerday, are you referring to the Ameda Lactaline dual pump? Moms in Mind which is a local website does sell it:

http://www.momsinmind.com.sg/lactalinepump.html

Not sure if this is exactly the model you are looking at.

I believe Ameda also has a local distributor in Singapore. Check this page out, there's a Singapore contact:

http://ameda.com/international/international.asp

I'm pretty sure you can get Ameda breast pumps in Singapore. Infact, I even see some 2nd hand ones in Yahoo auction (the singapore site).

Leave a comment:

• Bashful
    replied
    I have some experiences with ebay.
    But I can't help u because I am really busy with work, baby and pumping.
    Do more research on breastpumps before u buy because they are really costly.
    I heard good things about Ameda and Medela. Some can let u try them out. Do ask experiences mummies around.

[email protected] has many discussion on breastpumps too. u may like to join to know more.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X