Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Supaida
    replied
    yes yes! i agree with leng leng on that curry smell!! yucks! but it sure helps with the flow!

most kids will not have reaction when mum take fernugreek.. unless one with weak intestine like my younger child.. but very rare case..

make sure drink 1 cup of water before and after breastfeed/express.... feed or express regularly to increase flow

Leave a comment:

• tanlengleng
    replied
    Originally posted by Soxx
    hihi,

i've tried fenugreek for 3days and it does help to increase the milk supply but i've stopped taking it coz i find that the milk seems to smell weird.Now my milk supply seems to revert back to low. Will fenugreek still work to increase milk supply if i eat it again?
    Hi Soxx,
    Fenugreek will not affect the condition of our BM,
    side effects are on us, we'll smell like curry & our urine will have a maple syrup smell.

Yup, when your MS is low, try taking 3 caps, 3 times a day & drink 3L of water daily,
    do this for 2-4 days, your MS should return.

Good Luck!

Leave a comment:

• tanlengleng
    replied
    Hi hi,
    I have some left-overs GNC Fenugreek to let go,
    BrandNew, not opened, do PM me your email addy if you need them. TIA.

Leave a comment:

• Soxx
    replied
    hihi,

i've tried fenugreek for 3days and it does help to increase the milk supply but i've stopped taking it coz i find that the milk seems to smell weird.Now my milk supply seems to revert back to low. Will fenugreek still work to increase milk supply if i eat it again?

Leave a comment:

• ShoppingQueenie
    replied
    Currently i do 3 ways - latching him on (when i'm not tired), expressing & formula. Because once he latch on he'll be stuck at my 2 breast for 2 hours. But he do like to suckle my breast before he sleep. So i'll just tell myself take it easy as too much stress affect my express milk.

Leave a comment:

• wanderlust
    replied
    Breastfeeding is what makes you thirsty. the more you produce, the more fluids you lose and hence you get thirsty.

Fenugreek (Trigonella foenum-graecum). Fenugreek seed has been used to increase milk production since biblical times. The herb contains phytoestrogens, which are plant chemicals similar to the female sex hormone estrogen. A key compound, diosgenin, has been shown experimentally to increase milk flow.(0)

Fenugreek and Breastfeeding
    Fenugreek seeds contain hormone precursors that increase milk supply. Scientists do not know for sure how this happens. Some believe it is possible because breasts are modified sweat glands, and fenugreek stimulates sweat production. It has been found that fenugreek can increase a nursing mother's milk supply within 24 to 72 hours after first taking the herb. Once an adequate level of milk production is reached, most women can discontinue the fenugreek and maintain the milk supply with adequate breast stimulation. Many women today take fenugreek in a pill form (ground seeds placed in capsules). The pills can be found at most vitamin and nutrition stores and at many supermarkets and natural foods stores. Fenugreek can also be taken in tea form, although tea is believed to be less potent than the pills and the tea comes with a bitter taste that can be hard to stomach. Fenugreek is not right for everyone. The herb has caused aggravated asthma symptoms in some women and has lowered blood glucose levels in some women with diabetes.

Leave a comment:

• Grace Liow
    replied
    Tired fernugrek once and i stopped. As it makes me thirsty. Guess after taking it. mums drink more water and as a result more milk? Might as well drink water faithfully instead of popping in the pills....

Leave a comment:

• wanderlust
    replied
    I think you should add ginger instead of pepper. ginger gets rid of the fishiness and is good for "wind"

there IS such a thing as nipple confusion. if you introduce the bottle/pacifier before your breastmilk is established (around 4 weeks approx), the baby will not know how to latch on properly. sucking on a teat is very different so the baby will tend to suck on the nipple only instead of the around areola which will be very painful for the mummy and not establish the milk flow properly.

if you need to return to work, then about 4-6 weeks you should introduce a bottle. firstly because your production should have stabilised, and secondly if you wait any longer the baby will refuse to suck from a teat.

my girl also cried alot and quite frequently, i fed her on demand because i also supplemented her with formula while she was in the hospital for jaundice. when she got back, i let her latch on as much as possible, but she was always unsatisfied because the amount of formula she was taking in the hospital was much more and flowed much faster than what i could provide. it takes patience and lots of feeds to catch up. if you get stressed by other people, just shut yourself up in the room and feed. when she first came back, i did supplement with formula but cut back one feed at a time till i was total breastfeeding. whenever i gave her formula, i will express so that it makes up for the feed i missed.

it's tough in the first 2 months but hang in there! i did and i'm still breastfeeding my 2 year old! all the best!

Leave a comment:

• ShoppingQueenie
    replied
    Sure - i'll take good care of myself. I have 2 man to take care now

Now i manage to latch him on. But will still do cross feeding. As it's too tiring to keep feeding him (he's been feeding like every hour).

Leave a comment:

• popcorn
    replied
    yes i agreed with rafemama, Shpg Qn try 10-15mins or even half an hour before his hungry time maybe it works so that he can try to latch on again.
    Fish Soup with Papaya is good for BM though is bit fishy you can add some pepper and it will taste better. Take good care during your confinement period.

Leave a comment:

• ShoppingQueenie
    replied
    Ok - i'll take note of it

Leave a comment:

• rafemama
    replied
    dun force baby to latch when he's angry and not when he is very hungry, because let down takes quite a while, hence, when you latch if baby is very hungry, baby might be frustrated and refused to latch (because he is veyr hungry and just cry for milk).hence, feed baby only when there is a sign that he's hungry.

Leave a comment:

• ShoppingQueenie
    replied
    Right now, i keep telling myself that milk bottle don't exist in the house. So it made me for determine to breastfeed him

Leave a comment:

• rafemama
    replied
    you can try papaya and fish soup, supposedly help lactation. take more protein-based stuff, such as meat, tofu, milk, etc.

you can try La Leche League, they are very very helpful. talk to them about your problem and they can help you.

or http://www.breastfeeding.org.sg/ hotline.

it's very difficult for first 3 mths, but then, once you master the technique, breastfeeding is a breeze. try whatever you can, because breastmilk is certainly far better for your baby.

last time, I didn't know you can feed baby with spoon/cup, so, I used bottle, but that was a very terrible move. Rafe just refused to latch properly after that. so try not to use bottle.

Leave a comment:

• Gio
    replied
    Oh that's interesting to know! Thanks for the info, ShoppingQueenie

Leave a comment:

Working...
X