Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Busy Working full time and studying part time?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hmm i'm currently a mass comm student at NP and am planning to study at SIM's RMIT once i graduate to get my degree. so afraid of the stress level that i will face very soon

Comment

I'm a part time student too with TMC, but its gonna be my last sem. Phew! after 4 years finally see something that I can look forward to.

Knowing it's going to be tough juggling work and student I decided to take things slow, taking only 2 modules per semester, which explain the 4 years. But still things just get crazy during assignments period and exam. Especially the assignment really drive me nuts with the amount of research and the lenght that I have to write.

Definitely agree with Zjaninez, the lecturer/tutors are really lousy. And they are totally hopeless in helping with assignments and giving exam tips so we are left pretty much on our own. So it takes a lot more individual motivation, and since you already on that path just walk right to the end.

Comment

Hi Cup, I understand how u feel and i am currently taking up a PT diploma course in BA. THose lines which ur consultant told u i had heard million of times from different agencies and my friends too. Well, I had resigned from a perm. job last feb have been doing many contract and temp jobs to finance my education and also my daily expenses.

This year i have decided to go for PErmanent job which offer me benefits such as leave. Some contract or temp jobs dont carry such benefits in fact many. I had been to countless interviews, and most of the employers actually mind part time students as they wanted us to do OT but afraid we could not commit. But of course there are nice ones who actually dont mind and would want to give u a chance.

I think job hunting requires a lot of luck. But of course u must have proper time management as it is really tough and tiring to juggle between work and studies. Lucky i only have one more year to go after this i wont want to go for any more part time courses.

Comment

Thanks for the replies ladies!

I'm currently working in an advertising agency. Considering taking up a BS in Business & Managament Studies (Marketing) from University of Bradford by MDIS.

Does anyone know much about the course? I'll be accepting end of this month.

I know my life will probably be hellish for the next 3 years, but I guess there's no choice.

Comment

hi gals,

i am choosing a degree now... will be studying part-time and working full-time.. am quite worried now as i'm afraid i can't cope

anyone in SIM Bachelor in Science (Hons) Management?

i wonder how u gals cope with it.... study, working, bf, friends... oh i have no time...
            Last edited by hamham; 26-02-2006, 11:12 PM.

Comment

Hi,
              Currently I am a full time student in SIM but I converting into part time studies due to finance problems. Actually I was going to graduate this year but I had flunk some modules so I need to extend another year. So I would like to ask u gals..is it better to find a perm job than a temp job? As all the while, I thought temp is better than perm when it come to part time studies. Once the contract end, you are able to have more time to concentrate on the studies..??Hope you gals can correct me

Comment

Hi Gals,

Am juggling a full time job and part time studies and due to financial difficulties, it's difficult for me to do both part time. Personally, my preference is that I work part time and study part time rather than taking a temp job. Reason being, a temp job is much like a full time, except that it is for a short period of time. Doing part time will mean that I have more time for my social life, my family and frenz, and of cuz to myself and my studies... If possible, do get a part time job. Think that is the best option... at least for me, that will be an ideal option...

Comment

Originally posted by Minoru
                  Hi,
                  Currently I am a full time student in SIM but I converting into part time studies due to finance problems. Actually I was going to graduate this year but I had flunk some modules so I need to extend another year. So I would like to ask u gals..is it better to find a perm job than a temp job? As all the while, I thought temp is better than perm when it come to part time studies. Once the contract end, you are able to have more time to concentrate on the studies..??Hope you gals can correct me
                  Temp job is what everybody feel will be good for a part timer but then the salary wise is very low especially when you are paid on hourly basis-you dont work you dont get pay..when there are many public holidays in a month again you don't get pay. I have been working as temp for a year and I can't say it i am really happy with it. No doubt I don't face as much stress as compared with my classmates who are working as permanent staff, I dont feel happy and partly because the money suck.

So now I have chose to go back to permanent job since I have only a year left for my part time studies. Also working as temporary staff u lose out on annual leave which u can use for preparation of your exams.

Unless you have no financial worries then go for temp job.

Comment

I'll be handing in my confirmation for my part time studies tomorrow.

So scared!

Comment

This is such a timely thread for me! I'm gonna be starting my part-time Monash BA Arts (Comms) degree with TMC this week and i'm still very apprehensive about it My motivation to get a degree was cos' of my BF, he's an honours grad from NUS in Linguistics so he can help me with my assignments and stuff. Also figured that i need a degree somewhere down the road, therefore might as well do it now.

I've been working for about a year since graduating from NP's Mass Comm and i think i've really learnt alot through working. I've found a great company which allows me time to study and work at a relatively slow pace. Reason why i don't want to work part-time while studying is cos' i really think i'm running out of time to develop my career, don't wanna graduate only to have to start from scratch again.

After hearing the comments on TMC, i'm really "looking forward" to meeting these lousy lecturers, maybe i will give them a piece of my mind in class since i'm known to shoot my mouth off Not sure how long i will be taking as well but only taking 2 modules for my 1st semester to see how it goes. It's great to see so many girls here who're on the same path, let's all work hard together!

Comment

im also about to embark on my part time studies next year...really quite worried i won't be able to cope as i will be working full time as well...
                        just wondering how many years did u fellow cotters take to finish ur studies (part time)? my studies, if taken full time , takes 3 yrs to finish..if part time....i think already , also want to faint... ..i don't know how long i will take to finish mine...

Comment

i am so tired ...

just got started with the degree in comms at APMI ... still working in the bank ... there's christmas rehearsal in church (i'm in charge of the li'll kids) ... my mom is up to one of her moods again and she thinks it's very bloody easy to conjure up an essay in no time ... i'm still trying to help my friends (one has a graduation coming up and i hope to be there) ... boss asks me to organise the year-end christmas party for the entire capital markets ... my eyes hurt ... i realise i can't wear my pants cos i've lost weight ...

and i'm still tired ...

this is so new to me, studying working at the same time, while trying to keep a normal life ...

i'm sorry to say, but it doesn't seem easy for the independant person in me now ... it's really hard ... and i'm mentally and physically exhausted ...

hah ... but i guess life still goes on yeah ... all rite man, 3 more papers, one major party, one major concert and i should be out soon ...

helll yeahhh ... tell me i'm normal ... the whole idea of being exhuasted is big bruise to my huge ego man ... like since when i needed a break ...

back to question ... yes i'm studying part-time and working full time ...

Comment

im working full time and studying part time.
                            Recently finding diffiuclty to cope with my work n studies... OT almost everyday at work till late...
                            somemore exam next week... applied block leave but unsucessful .... been taking 1 or 2 days leave per week since last week....
                            hopefully everything goes well......

Comment

Can totally understand what you gals are going through. I was kind of lucky though, since my bosses had been really understanding during the exam periods and making sure I don't stay late so that I can get to classes in time. But still, the assignments and preparing for exams can be a killer.

It might be tough right now, but it does develop your perserverance, making you a better person. So gals... "jia you". It will be over before you know it... but always remember work hard and party hard. Sometimes you need that balance in life.

Comment

may i know if we are doing a very intensive project work (those without exams) subject in poly, can we still work part time? i m considering ... don't know if it'll affect my grades or not

Comment

Working...
                                X