Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Busy Working full time and studying part time?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• kolya
    replied
    I just finished my final semester for a part time MA course. Could barely cope with work deadlines as well as my FYP. i thought i was going to flunk the FYP and would really have thrown away the past 2 years of hard work, but managed to score decently

Cotters, never never give up! It is never easy to cope with our studies while holding a full-time job. And reading this thread had helped me along the way (yes i checked out the forums back when i enrolled into my course). We can do it !

Leave a comment:

• namida
    replied
    must try girl

Leave a comment:

• shootingstar18
    replied
    Originally posted by namida View Post
    hi shootingstar

your worry of failing your exams is the same worry that we all share. my frens also told me the same thing that education is my priority now and i shouldnt work esp when i am in my final sem and will graduate in 3 months time. however, money is also a problem. not to worry i believe with proper time management u can make it
    I know! But it's actually easier said than done. The problem lies with me not knowing how to manage my time efficiently.

Leave a comment:

• namida
    replied
    hi shootingstar

your worry of failing your exams is the same worry that we all share. my frens also told me the same thing that education is my priority now and i shouldnt work esp when i am in my final sem and will graduate in 3 months time. however, money is also a problem. not to worry i believe with proper time management u can make it

Leave a comment:

• shootingstar18
    replied
    I am facing the same problem as well. For my age, I'm supposed to still enjoy being a full time student and not working full time yet. Not because of financial problems. My previous school offers full time classes but only thing is that, that school really sucked and i failed a subject because of them. (I passed with tremendousl improvements in my referral which I attended extra lessons with the new school for only 2mths. Compare it with the useless 1 yr I was with my old school. -.-)

I'm so much happier in this new school but unfortunately, it doesn't provide full time classes so I've to take part time classes.

For me, I've spoken to the bosses and am allowed to leave at 5.30pm when I have classes. I'm working in TPY while my school's at Bencoolen.

I've also mentioned about taking a mth off before exams but recently, thinking if I should take 2 mths off?

My probation is about to end soon though.

Anyway, I was giving tuition which is of course more flexible but I'd realised that I would need experience as well, since what I deem is that, it would be tough for me to find a job with a clean resume. But I've worked though part-time jobs before though, but still, in the legal industry, they would only see whether you have any experience in working in a law firm. That's what worrying me.

So I took up a job and am now pursuing my LLB and working in a law firm. It's extremely tiring and everyone says that I should quit if working jeopardises my education because it's supposed to be top priority for me now.

But the allowances that my mum gives, is never enough.

I am so worried that I'll fail my exams for this year.

I have problems balancing and managing as well.
    Last edited by shootingstar18; 26-12-2009, 11:52 AM.

Leave a comment:

• namida
    replied
    agree with jojoyap, stop thinking about how tough it is. when i thought of how tough it is , i felt even more panicky and stressed up. when i just go with the flow i am fine. i am into my final sem and will be busy with fyp plus two exams modules...i really hope i can clear my previous sem papers as well. if everything goes fine i should graduate in March 2010.

whenever i saw so many of my classmates fighting the exams battle together with me, i felt somehow 'good' ..we r like shouldering this together.

Leave a comment:

• jojoyap
    replied
    What I did is to stop thinking of 'how tough' it is. I just do it. Really.

I find that the more I think of the work load etc... the more difficult it is coping.

I went to open -U & I see my classmates, some even with children/work/husband. Then there's a guy who just got married with a new born! Everyone is doing fine, but sometimes barely coping haha....!

When I see these people, I feel inspiration, I know I can do it too! Just think of the good stuff , it makes things easier!

Leave a comment:

• MissEra
    replied
    Oh my But how do you guys stay awake? Coffee? But if we do regular studying and revising over the months, do we still need to cramp on midnights as exams period approaches? Due to a personal condition, its not advisable for me to burn midnight oil.

Also, how many modules do you girls choose to study each semester?

Leave a comment:

• babyang
    replied
    im currently working full time, studying part time.. you just need determination to drag yourself to school after work and pay attention!

because my company does not have study/ exam leave, i have to use my annual leave. so be prepared to sacrifice your annual leave.

you have to spend some time after work or during weekends to do your assignments. last sem was the worst tho.

one of the days i woke up at 7.30am to go to work, reached home at 8pm, started on my proj at 10pm all the way till 5.30am. went to sleep, woke up at 9am, touched up on the proj, lunched and went back to office

Leave a comment:

• yunbabe
    replied
    I'm studying part-time n working full time now, in fact all of my classmates are the same. It is really very very tough, especially when i was working in Jurong and knock off at 6pm, then need to rush all the way to DG and most likely will be late for 20-30 minutes. When exams period is approaching, i'll need to set up a time table for 4 modules, that include the timing from 4am to 6am...
    After i left ex-company, managed to find a job where the workplace is nearby DG, it is really much more better, at least won't be late for lesson, especially lesson that is calculation based, need a lot of attention.
    The most important thing is whether your company willing to compromise with you, especially during exam period you will need at least a week or so to prepare for that..

Leave a comment:

• MissEra
    replied
    Maclover:Thanks for sharing. It's becoming more and more common. Which school were u with? It's so scary but i actually found a full-time position that i really like so i find it a pity if i give it up now.

Leave a comment:

• maclover
    replied
    I used to study and work part time and its really very very tough. After a long day of work i still have to drag myself to school and concentrate on what the lecturer is teaching, and lots of homework to do and to submit before a date line. When it comes to exam time, i still have to work till late and revise for my exam till late at night.

Leave a comment:

• MissEra
    replied
    How do you juggle work and studies?

In order to stay relevant, more and more working adults are going back to school. Personally, i'm part-timing. However, i'm contemplating on the prospects of holding a full-time position while pursuing my degree. Would appreciate to hear from those working adults who are also schooling at the same time . Perhaps some advise on time management, or rather, life management on this subject.

Leave a comment:

• sher
    replied
    I'm studying and working too. Working full time in a financial institution. This year is my final year i hope to pass everything so that i can throw away all the books and not see them ever ever again. haha

I think its a good idea to work and study provided you can cope. If you ask me if working full time will affect your studies i would say not really. It depends on how you wanna handle and TIME MANAGEMENTT!! I know alot of ppl that are doing work and studies together and they are doing well. In fact most of my friends that studies part time do better than those full time students that i know (same exam same school).

Its good to accumulate some work experience when your studying so once you grad with your degree you are ready to embark on a more advance career rather than those fresh grads starting from the bottom.

Choice of work environment is very important too. Its a must to let your boss know you're studying part time. Make sure he/she is supportive of it so he/she will let you off early for class, grant u leave for exams. If the manager choose not to hire you due to ur studies then the more you shouldn't consider working for the that company.

All in all, I've nv regretted my choice of studying part time and working full time. Its tough but i must say the whole experience is more fruitful than being a full time student.
    Now i'm just praying very hard that i can pass everything this year and I'll graduate!

Good luck to all!

Leave a comment:

• myfairlady
    replied
    I have $5450 worth of credit with Brookes Business School. (Meaning I have put a deposit of $5450 with them)

Anyone who is interested to further study with Brookes (Be it Diploma / Degree / Masters),
    I am willing to transfer you the $5450 worth of credits at only $4500.

You can use this $5450 to pay for your school fee.
    Save up $950 with this method!!

Reason why I'm doing this is cause I need cash urgently.
    And the school is not willing to do a refund. Thus, the only way out, is to transfer the value to another person taking a course with them.

Anyone who is interested, pls PM me.
    We can go down to the school together.
    http://www.bbs.edu.sg

*Mods, I hope u will not delete this. Cause I really need help on this. Thanks!!*

Leave a comment:

Working...
X