Thyroid is it a serious problem??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thyroid is it a serious problem??

Anyone having thyroids?? I suspect that I having thyroid because of all the symptoms that I have for many years. Many people ask me whether I have thyroid because I don't look like other fat people and look more like water retention. Even I exercise everyday for more than 5hrs, I still unable to loose weight so something must be wrong with my health.

Possible Signs and Symptoms of Hypothyroidism

_____ Extreme exhaustion and fatigue
    _____ Depression, moodiness, sadness
    _____ Sensitivity to cold, cold hands, cold feet
    _____ Inappropriate weight gain, or difficulty losing weight despite changes in diet and exercise
    _____ Dry, tangled and/or coarse hair
    _____ Hair loss, especially from the outer part of the eyebrows
    _____ Dry and/or brittle nails
    _____ Muscle and joint pains and aches
    _____ Carpal tunnel syndrome, or tendonitis in arms and legs
    _____ Painful soles of the feet (plantar fascitis)
    _____ Abnormally swollen or puffy face, eyes, arms or legs
    _____ Abnormally low sex drive
    _____ Unexplained infertility, or recurrent miscarriages with no obvious explanation
    _____ Heavier than normal menstrual periods, periods that are longer than before, or that come more frequently
    _____ Fuzzy thinking, difficulty concentrating, difficulty remembering
    _____ Constipation
    _____ Full or sensitive feeling in the neck, enlargement or lump in the neck
    _____ Raspy, hoarse voice
    _____ Heart palpitations
    _____ Elevated cholesterol levels
    _____ Worsening allergies, itching, prickly hot skin, rashes, and hives (urticaria)
    _____ Elevated blood pressure
    _____ Slow pulse
    _____ Unusually low blood pressure

may i know how old are you? and what are the symptoms you have?

Comment

I'm 28 and I have the symptoms below for many years and I can exercise almost everyday still difficult to lose weight. Last year I was having depression that made me gain 13kg within a year. I really cant believe I going to hit 80kg. Now at work, I heard guy colleagues saying that I look bigger size than many guys and I have frds trying to stand away from you when we went shopping together.

---------Extreme exhaustion and fatigue
      _____ Depression, moodiness, sadness
      _____ Sensitivity to cold, cold hands, cold feet
      _____ Inappropriate weight gain, or difficulty losing weight despite changes in diet and exercise
      _____ Dry, tangled and/or coarse hair
      _____ Hair loss, especially from the outer part of the eyebrows
      _____ Muscle and joint pains and aches
      _____ Painful soles of the feet (plantar fascitis)
      _____ Abnormally swollen or puffy face, eyes, arms or legs
      _____ Heavier than normal menstrual periods, periods that are longer than before, or that come more frequently
      _____ Fuzzy thinking, difficulty concentrating, difficulty remembering
      _____ Constipation
      _____ Raspy, hoarse voice
      _____ Worsening allergies, itching, prickly hot skin, rashes, and hives (urticaria)

Comment

hi dear, i think your question is best answered through a visit to the doctor..

Comment

One of my friend she has got thyroid years back, so she was under medication for quite sometime and has recovered fully by now. It should be a serious problem if you don't get the right treatment in time.

Comment

You should see a doctor. Not ask us.

Comment

Have you done any thyroid function test ? Visit a doctor and do a blood test to confirm.

Comment

I went to polyclinic and ask the doctor whether I have thyroid because I feel there is lump in my throat. She didnt test my blood and just use a torchlight to look in my mouth. She only ask " is it fish bone stuck in ur throat?" but I don't eat fish with bone.. She only touch my throat and said I don't have thyroid.

Comment

lonesome285, I think it's better you go consult a doc, the polyclinic doc seems absolutely uninterested. I have hypothyroidism and have been living with it for about 5 years now. I just need to take the thyroid medicine every morning and go for blood tests every 6 months to check if there is a need to adjust my daily dosage.

Comment

Thyroid can only be diagnosed via blood test. It cannot be done by touching the throat. The polyclinic doctor is not doing the job properly. I think it is best that you consult other doctor. There are 2 kinds of thyroid problem either hyperthyroidism or hypothyroidism. People who are hyper tend to have difficulties gaining weight while it is the opposite for hypo. The blood test will check the level of TSH and free T4.

Comment

I had hyperthyroidism for a while. Thyroid levels affect metabolism.
                      I'm not a doctor but it looks like it could be other hormonal problems too. You need a blood test to find out your thyroid levels.

Comment

Hi shirley_casing, can you share with me your experience when you said you had hyperthyroidism for a while?

Did you see the doctor?
                        Are you under any medication?
                        Do you mean the problem will go away after a while?

Sorry...I asked because I nearly had problem as well. I visited the doctor for other problem and by chance the doctor found out that my TSH was a bit below the range. However, my free T4 was normal. Then I was asked to redo the test 3 months later. Somehow my TSH went up a bit and was more satisfactory so the doctor said that there's nothing to worry about althought my TSH was still a bit below the range.

Comment

Working...
                        X