Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thailand > Bangkok Part 2

Hi cotters,

Tried to find a similar thread, but it was locked. Couldn't post. So, I guess it should be alright to post a part 2 on it? Because we girls just can't get enough of BKK

Anyway, I would like to ask a few questions about BKK as I'm making a trip there on 7 April to 11 April (5D4N). I would be staying in Sukhumvit area (Admiral Suites), is it advisable to take train or a cab? Me and my boyf are on a 'budgety trip'. I hope some kind souls would help me with these questions.

Summary of my questions:
    1) Cab or train from Airport to Hotel? Arrival timming is 11am - 12pm
    2) How can I get to Chinatown? Do I have to take the Chao Phraya Boat service? Where to alight?
    3) What to buy and where to shop in Chinatown? I heard that there're some real cheap bargains at those street stalls, but it's only opened in the morning (6am-9am)?
    4) May I know is Pratunam Fashion Mall & Pratunam market area near Siam area (as in Siam Paragon, Siam Square & etc.)
    5) Any 'must-go' shopping and dinning places to recommend (budget)?

TIA!

i think cab is fine, it is advisable to print the map of your hotel that for the taxi uncle, if it's not in the website, can try to ask from the hotel.

2) How can I get to Chinatown? Do I have to take the Chao Phraya Boat service? Where to alight?
    the previous few times i went, i took a cab to chinatown, but the traffic can be quite horrible during peak hour (around 6-7pm)

3) What to buy and where to shop in Chinatown? I heard that there're some real cheap bargains at those street stalls, but it's only opened in the morning (6am-9am)?
    the bargins that most ppl talking about should be the sempang lane. there's lots of misc items, such as hair bands, accessories, toys for kids, stickers, stationary & etc. during my previous trip, i went around 4pm+, but a lot of shops are starting to close, so i think just reached there anytime before 4pm should be fine. i ended up buying soft toys over there. haha!

4) May I know is Pratunam Fashion Mall & Pratunam market area near Siam area (as in Siam Paragon, Siam Square & etc.)
    platinum fashion mall & pratunam market are not far apart from siam square, but after combing platinum my leg will ache, so i just took a cab there or else u can walk from platinum to central mall & walk along the passage way that links from chitlom bts to siam bts.

siam paragon basement has a wide variety of food & restaurants, u can try fuji jap food, mk steamboat or some misc cafe. i love siam square, i find there quite happening, there's also stalls selling clothes along the street (but some of their clothes they take their goods from platinum, so just bargain)! there's a&w, chester grill, hardrock, mango tango (must try their mango with sticky rice & mango sorbet), swensen (199baht for earthquake i think, i only rmb it's cheaper than sg), chinese restaurant & etc. yes, chatuchak is a must go! rmb to try their coconut ice cream!

Comment

Originally posted by waiwoon
      Hi Kasualty,
      I just went over to Bangkok on 18-20th March and this is my 3rd time there!
      Was sposored by Ciba Vision, I stayed in Tenface hotel which was sponsored by AsiaWebDirect.
      You can find most of your answers in my blog: http://wwoonbelle.jugem.jp/

In BKK, you can get a cab at metered fare which means going by meter.
      Chatuchak (JJ Market) is the shopping place more recommended, VERY VERY CHEAP AND PRETTY APPARELS, same items like Pratunam/Platinum but at much more cheaper rate!

It was 20 deg celcius when i was there and there were some Red Troupe Army but still safe
      You can visit Grand Palace to explore King's resident but make sure wore appropriate clothings.

Hope you have fun there!!! :D
      Hi waiwoon,

Thanks for the advise. Didn't know BKK's weather can get so cooling! Hope when I'm there it's gonna be cooling too!

Originally posted by le_mon View Post
      i think cab is fine, it is advisable to print the map of your hotel that for the taxi uncle, if it's not in the website, can try to ask from the hotel.

the previous few times i went, i took a cab to chinatown, but the traffic can be quite horrible during peak hour (around 6-7pm)

the bargins that most ppl talking about should be the sempang lane. there's lots of misc items, such as hair bands, accessories, toys for kids, stickers, stationary & etc. during my previous trip, i went around 4pm+, but a lot of shops are starting to close, so i think just reached there anytime before 4pm should be fine. i ended up buying soft toys over there. haha!

platinum fashion mall & pratunam market are not far apart from siam square, but after combing platinum my leg will ache, so i just took a cab there or else u can walk from platinum to central mall & walk along the passage way that links from chitlom bts to siam bts.

siam paragon basement has a wide variety of food & restaurants, u can try fuji jap food, mk steamboat or some misc cafe. i love siam square, i find there quite happening, there's also stalls selling clothes along the street (but some of their clothes they take their goods from platinum, so just bargain)! there's a&w, chester grill, hardrock, mango tango (must try their mango with sticky rice & mango sorbet), swensen (199baht for earthquake i think, i only rmb it's cheaper than sg), chinese restaurant & etc. yes, chatuchak is a must go! rmb to try their coconut ice cream!
      Hi le_mon,

That's a super detailed explanation! Thanks for taking time to answer my questions Really appreciate that! And I've got more questions,

1) Worth going? Yes? No? & What's in there?
      • Pratunam Market
      • Platinum Fashion Mall
      • Indra Square
      • Siam Paragon
      • Siam Square
      • Siam Centre
      • Central World Plaza
      • MBK
      • Bonaza Mall
      • Plaza 29
      • Emporium
      • Saphan Phut Night Market

2) Any recommendation for night markets?

3) Recommendation for eateries/restaurants (cheap & good)

Sorry for asking so many questions! I'm still a noob when it comes to travelling/shopping in BKK. Hope you guys don't mind!

Comment

I would like to do a day trip to Ayutthaya from Bangkok. Anyone knows how should I go about getting there?

Comment

hello cotters!! would like a favour from any one going bkk soon!! isit possible to help me get a matte highlighter pink bb keyoad from MBK??? pretty pls if anyone is willing to help!! your help will be much appreciated.

if you can, pls email me at [email protected] and i'll send you a picture of it! and transfer money as well. thanks!

Comment

Hi there,

If you happen to see this while you're in Bangkok right now, you have to check out Pratunam Market! Definitely worth going if you're looking for extremely affordable apparels and accessories! And I would like to highly recommend that you try Polo Fried Chicken there too! It's soooooo delicious

If you have time, check out Chatuchak Weekend Market too, very very very BIG market for shopaholics! No matter what, Bangkok is really a shopping paradise, highly affordable shopping and extremely friendly people :D

Like waiwoon, I just got back from the 3D2N Bangkok trip kindly sponsored by Ciba Vision and the above is what I discovered during the trip, more here if you're interested

Comment

@kasualty

Hi there,

If you happen to see this while you're in Bangkok right now, you have to check out Pratunam Market! Definitely worth going if you're looking for extremely affordable apparels and accessories! And I would like to highly recommend that you try Polo Fried Chicken there too! It's soooooo delicious

If you have time, check out Chatuchak Weekend Market too, very very very BIG market for shopaholics! No matter what, Bangkok is really a shopping paradise, highly affordable shopping and extremely friendly people :D

Like waiwoon, I just got back from the 3D2N Bangkok trip kindly sponsored by Ciba Vision and the above is what I discovered during the trip, more here if you're interested

Comment

@kasualty

Hi there,

Comment

must try snacks

I didn't bought any local snacks back from BKK when i was there last month but my colleagues and uncle bought back and let me tried 2 kinds of snacks! Sorry no pics of it but try to find it there!!

1) Crispy pork - something like tidbits
                  2) A snack (Round) with floss on top of it! THIS IS VERY GOOD!!

Comment

It's gonna be my first trip to BKK come 3rd May. Flying via Tiger Airways, and booked rooms at Baiyoke Boutique!

One question to the experts here - where else can I find a money changer in BKK other than the airport? TIA!

Comment

Hi,

I am deciding btwn Amari Watergate and Pathumwan princess.

The former coz its near to Platinum mall (heheheeh. I love bargains) n the latter coz it seems nearer to the major shopping area(Hb prefers conveniences and is more of those big brands kinda person)

Amari Watergate is also cheaper+free inroom wifi.

Could someone advice if Amari Watergate is near to big shopping centers like Centralworld?

Is it a walkable distance to MBK?

Many thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by raggamuffin View Post
                        Hi,

I am deciding btwn Amari Watergate and Pathumwan princess.

The former coz its near to Platinum mall (heheheeh. I love bargains) n the latter coz it seems nearer to the major shopping area(Hb prefers conveniences and is more of those big brands kinda person)

Amari Watergate is also cheaper+free inroom wifi.

Could someone advice if Amari Watergate is near to big shopping centers like Centralworld?

Is it a walkable distance to MBK?

Many thanks!
                        Centralworld is just 10 mins from Amari Watergate. That location is good as it is just opp Platinum and it's very convenient to go back to the hotel and drop the bags. I tried walking to MBK from platinum before. It was about 30 to 40 mins. If the traffic is not too bad, taking a cab would be a lot faster and more comfortable. It really depends on whether you intend to spend more of your time at Platinum or MBK area. The nearest BTS station to Amari is likely Rachatewi which is around 10 mins from Grand Diamond.

Anyone planning to go to BKK in June? I wanted to go towards the end of June but the election may be held sometime in end June or July. Is it still safe to go??

Comment

Hi jo4nn3,

Im going on 5th may, staying at baiyoke boutique too...

Originally posted by jo4nn3 View Post
                          It's gonna be my first trip to BKK come 3rd May. Flying via Tiger Airways, and booked rooms at Baiyoke Boutique!

One question to the experts here - where else can I find a money changer in BKK other than the airport? TIA!

Comment

Originally posted by cate View Post
                            Centralworld is just 10 mins from Amari Watergate. That location is good as it is just opp Platinum and it's very convenient to go back to the hotel and drop the bags. I tried walking to MBK from platinum before. It was about 30 to 40 mins. If the traffic is not too bad, taking a cab would be a lot faster and more comfortable. It really depends on whether you intend to spend more of your time at Platinum or MBK area. The nearest BTS station to Amari is likely Rachatewi which is around 10 mins from Grand Diamond.

Anyone planning to go to BKK in June? I wanted to go towards the end of June but the election may be held sometime in end June or July. Is it still safe to go??
                            Thanks!!!

Comment

Originally posted by zhuzhu View Post
                              Hi jo4nn3,

Im going on 5th may, staying at baiyoke boutique too...
                              Hi zhuzhu, hope we'll all enjoy our trips!

Comment

Working...
                              X