Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• artichoke
    replied
    Abu Simbel is usually an optional because not everyone is willing to wake up in the middle of the night for the 3am convoy that departs Aswan. At the same time, Abu Simbel trip is usually quite expensive. It is totally worth paying and waking up early. Abu Simbel is amazing, more so if you know how they moved the entire structure up higher grounds from the Nile. I will recommend you to go to Abu Simbel and spend a few days in Aswan. My favourite is Aswan, it is like the mediterrean of Egypt, sunny and much cooler.

I'm not sure if it is fair to say that Cairo is that bad, but it is, to me. It is dirty, dusty and people there are out to rip you off big time. Everytime when I want to buy something, I have to bargain like crazy. I want to get an aladdin pot and the souk guy was asking for S$50 initially. To me, it is horribly expensive. When I tried to bargain, he became agressive, not very nice. The men there like to stare and their stare could bore through your clothes/ body. I didn't cover my hair, I don't think that is a major issue to me but I don't like people staring at me like that. Eventually, I decided to stare back. The women and children are nicer, they will come up and look at you, look at your hair and try to touch you. I'm fine with that. I went with a middle eastern girl friend, she got the worst experience I think. She had the hostel owner telling her he is looking for another wife, got men going up to talk to her and she hated it. That's just Cairo. In Luxor, Aswan, we felt safer and people there are much nicer, we try to tip the helpers or people who helped us as much as possible since they are really very poor over there.

Sights wise, Egypt is not disappointing. I was a little disappointed with the Pyramids though. They are big, huge, yes. But that's it. It's also dusty, sandy, dirty and full of tourists (I shouldn't complain about this but oh well...) I feel that, for a city with such booming tourism and yet still having their people in poverty, most places in dilapidated state, something is very wong. We talked to a tour guide and he said Egypt is a very corrupted country, money goes to a few people so their own citizens don't gain much from. Anyhow, Cairo made me feel very sad, for the people who live there and cannot get much help or get out. Even those in tourism, they only earn minimal and the rest of the profit goes to unscruptulous business owners.

If you want any info on Egypt, am happy to share. You can find my itineray here.

Leave a comment:

• jusgal83
    replied
    ic.. cairo that bad? How come? i'm looking up on eye witness travel for some photos and descriptions on some of the group tour itinerary. My gfs said they are ok with any tour as long as it visits Abu Simbel. But reading on previous posts, seems like most agencies offer it as an optional excursion.

Leave a comment:

• artichoke
    replied
    I went Egypt and had my itinerary planned by our hostel. All we did was tell them what we want to see and they did everything for us and charge us accordingly (which we bargained like crazy to mark it down 50%.)

MHO - if you like a leisurely paced trip, then the cruise is more suitable and more reliable (compared to trains.) But that also means it takes time for you to travel from the port to attractions. Not all attractions are by the Nile.

What I suggest is to find out what do you want to see when you are in Egypt before looking for a tour package that has what you want. So far, a lot of people who had been to Cairo never want to go back there again, myself included. Haha.

Leave a comment:

• jusgal83
    replied
    Hi everyone!

Did anyone recently (or late last yr) went to Egypt in a group tour with our local agency? 3 gfs and I are interested to join a group tour to Egypt in late oct/early nov. The itinerary for the bigger agencies looks about the same so just like to find out the travel experience for the various agencies. I have read that we should not expect too much from the cruise but is there anything else to do (activities) on the cruise while travelling from one place to another? Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• 2ask
    replied
    my fren stay in egypt and do a local package there..

Leave a comment:

• Tartine
    replied
    definitely a worth-while trip!

Went there many years back with INSIGHT.
    Awesome sights...MUST GO - Abu Simbul.. hope I spelled it correctly We hire a private plane to take us there.
    The muesum at Cairo is fabulous too.

Leave a comment:

• wenniee
    replied

yes..Egypt is really fanatics..

i still miss my trip

Leave a comment:

• spoiltbabe
    replied
    just came back from our HM in egypt and i would say for ancient egypt fanatics, it is a MUST GO! I was in awe of the architectures and perfect carvings. With the narration of the guide, we were like being brought back to the old times and took a walk down its rich history. It was amazing....

Southern egypt (Luxor, Aswan) was hot during the day and cool at nite. Whereas northern egypt (Cairo) is cooling throughout. Head scarf is needed when we enter mosques but they will provide robes if you do not have. No shorts allowed for ladies.

Leave a comment:

• blurblur25
    replied
    anyone travel with contiki before? im planning to book with contiki instead of the regular travel agent for the package tour. Planning to go in Jan09.

Thanks

Leave a comment:

• wenniee
    replied
    i went with CTC..
    the best time is go on oct to feb..
    egypt also have winter!but no snow ah!haha..
    but can be very COLD in nov to feb!!!
    not hot like singapore!!i swear!!!!!!
    their hot is dry..
    singapore is hot and WET!!!!

Fly by SQ more xx,by 300dolar plus...
    or wait for natas fair in Aug?maybe got good offer!!

Leave a comment:

• 2ask
    replied
    interested to go to egpyt? travel in groups and fly by sq.

Leave a comment:

• kitty7
    replied
    My friend and I are thinking of joining a tour to Egypt in April. Was looking at Chan Brothers webbie tours.

Hi wenniee, care to elaborate your experience with SA? Looked at your pix, was it very hot there? How was the hotel, food and tours? TIA

Leave a comment:

• wenniee
    replied
    My Egypt trip!!

just back from the Egypt!!super great trip.....but the weather is so dry and hot..
    me even got flu...
    but me really enjoy the whole trip!and we got to see their Ramadan holiday..

and the last day..we were so Lucky to have Rain!!as Egypt only rain 10times in a year!
    so lucky to meet the rain in Egypt!!
    BESt temple will be the Abu Simbel!!!really grand!!!! a must go and see!

at the Pyramids of Giza

at the step Pyramid

the Sphinx of Giza

at the 2nd of Sphinx

Leave a comment:

• wenniee
    replied
    my Egypt tour with the SA tour,they still on pending for group size!!.now only 4pax!!
    i booked on Mar..till now only total 4pax!really
    all my friends said no much high chances for me go Egypt..
    all ask me to start to chose for other country!!

I really dont know where to go......as Early sept.
    i can think for place is Aust and New Zealand..

Anyone can Recommend Tour Agency for New Zealand..?
    as most of friends said Chan brothers is good for Aust tour...

anyone been to new zealand or Aust Tasmania in early sept?which tour agency is good?
    how the weather?
    sorry to ask so much Question.....

Leave a comment:

• addicted
    replied
    hey, the natas travel fair first prize was a tour to egypt isn't it? anyone knows who won it?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X