Do you keep the change?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gracegan
    I will definitely keep the change. Unless I found the service really good, then I'll leave the change and a small tip. Otherwise I see no point in leaving the change since we're already paying service charge. Which brings me to the point, why should service charge be mandatory? The prices in restaurants are already significantly higher than that of food courts. So doesn't it already comprise service charge? IMO, service charge should be voluntary and the amount should be entirely up to the patron to decide. If the service was commendable, I don't mind tipping more.

Service charge is not mandatory, no law decree that. We can choose to refuse to pay service charge if we deem the service to be bad!!!

I've left tips of at least 20% in US ( above the usual 15%) for excellent service!!

Comment

as far as i know, the waitstaff won't get to see a single cent of the so called "service charge" the restaurant makes. which restaurant in sg is so generous as to split the service cost takings with their waitstaff? i don't think so.

i will usually leave coins behind, although dollar coins i'll take. i'll leave a $2 note if i'm dining using purely vouchers or that the service is really good.

Comment

I normally leave the coins behind. But if the service is really :puke: , I make sure I pick up all my coins, even the 5 cents coins.

Comment

what??? that 10% doesn't goes to the waiting staff??????

Comment

IMO, it does not go directly to the wait staff but rather its factor into their salary.

Some restaurants practice a tip box and place all the tips collected into this box and at the end of the month, its divided equally

Comment

waitstaff DO NOT get extras or a portion of service charges at the end of the month. they only get their stipulated pay - that's one thing i think people should be made aware of.

as far as i know, the only extras will come from tips from patrons, whether they're tipped personally or split equally at end of day.

baobei- waitstaff get a portion of the service charge on top of their pay? HAHAHAHA wait long long!

disclaimer - i'm speaking from experience. used to wait on tables during school hols and that's a long time ago. things may have changed but i don't think so.
              Last edited by sharon; 01-03-2005, 06:11 PM.

Comment

In Singapore, I used to leave the change, but after receiving crappy service & excessive change in coins, I now normally pay with cc (exact amount).

I've heard that the 10% service charge in some restaurants does not go to the staff, but I work hard for my money too and will not tip for medicore service.

Comment

I take everything. I rarely encounter service good enough to make me want to tip anything beyond the 10% charged.

Comment

If service charge doesn't go to the waitstaff, all the more we should not tolerate crappy service. I appreciate good service and would definitely reward it. People just have to realize that it pays to be professional instead of expecting customers to tip regardless.

Comment

i can't remember a time when i got crappy service in a restaurant or fast food joint. either i'm very lucky or rather i think maybe i never expect too much, i always have a smile on my face, am polite and i never act high and mighty.
                      Last edited by sharon; 01-03-2005, 08:21 PM.

Comment

I think you're just very lucky. I seldom eat out now but in the past we generally got very poor service from staff and my parents still left tips. I'm always nice to people, I say thank you and have a smile on my face. When salespeople say have a nice day, I say "You too!". Sometimes their faces light up, but it doesn't always go appreciated. I don't think anyone has a right to be high and mighty to be honest. Most people work for an honest living and should be shown respect regardless of profession.

Comment

well said.

i just hope my luck doesn't run out =)

Comment

for taxi drivers, if the change is less than $1, then i usually ask them to keep the change.

Comment

For taxi drivers I'm a little more generous, I usually let them keep the change for up to $3.

Comment

Do you notice that alot of cab drivers don't bother getting down to help with the luggage/shopping/pram? We took a cab home from the airport once and my dad already paid, with an $8 tip before we got out of the car. The fare was only $12. The driver said thank you but never bothered to get down and help. My dad did everything himself. I don't know why my dad's rewarding bad service. I already went into the house to unlock it and stuff, but if I'd still been there I'd ask for some help politely. It's a very good tip for doing nothing. I tip when they don't drive recklessly, and when they make appropriate small-talk, but I try to take public transport if I'm travelling alone. Just not worth it.

Comment

Working...
                                X