Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Something to share

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Something to share

    Extracted this passage from an email, just thought of sharing with you all.

    "Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it."

    What is PRESENCE?

    A man going abroad to work leaves his fianc?e crying. "Don't worry, I will write you everyday," he said. For years he did write her. But since he was happy with his job, he had no immediate plans of going home.

    One day, he received a wedding invitation. His girlfriend was scheduled to be married. She will be married to the postman who brings regularly the letters of her boyfriend! Indeed, distance does make hearts flounder. The poor boyfriend surely explained, "What went wrong? I sent her letters, chocolates, and flowers."

    When relationships go wrong, the list of things given and done for the person usually crops up. We say, "I have given you this and that... I have done these things for you." It seems that love is simply proven by the bestowal of gifts and favors. But while presents are important, love demands what is basic: 'presence of the beloved'.

    I have observed for instance, the orchids of my mother's. When she's away for a long time, they are unhealthy and many of them wither. But when she is around, they bloom with beautiful flowers. My mother does nothing exceptional. She just spends much time talking and caressing them.

    I guess persons all the more require a caring presence.

    Love is fundamentally a commitment to a person. We may be committed to our business, job, hobby, sports and clubs. But strictly speaking, they cannot love us back. Only a person can love us in return, and for that matter, the highest commitment as human beings, is spending time with those persons we love.

    And since people need affection and nourishment, material things can only help up to a certain degree in fostering love. But it can never replace the greatest gift of presence because everyone needs someone - be it friends, parents, siblings or simply that 'special' one.

    Being there for someone need not necessary mean having to say a lot. Words are sometimes redundant. Remember that 'presence' (to be there for someone) is more than enough
    .


    "What Is Most Valuable Is Not What You Have In Your Life, But Who You Have In Your Life"
    Last edited by periwinkle; 25-05-2005, 04:59 PM.

  • #2
    Me & My SO always remind this "threat everyday was our last day of live"

    We think positive for our relationship! We treasure every moment we spend together! Showing care & concern for each other. Think the same way feel the same way.

    ^_*
    Last edited by JS; 26-05-2005, 09:22 AM.

    Comment


    • #3
      Hi periwinkle, thanks for sharing. I find this really meaningful and can't help but agree!

      Comment


      • #4
        She married the postman?! :eh:

        This is probably not what I am supposed to say in response, but if she can't stay faithful to a man who brings her letters, flowers and chocolates when he is away, then its a good ending cause they shouldn't be married!

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by vantastica
          Hi periwinkle, thanks for sharing. I find this really meaningful and can't help but agree!
          Hi vantastica,

          You are most welcome.

          This email reminds me to treasure whatever I have at this moment, before i regret it when i lost it one day...

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by mango
            She married the postman?! :eh:

            This is probably not what I am supposed to say in response, but if she can't stay faithful to a man who brings her letters, flowers and chocolates when he is away, then its a good ending cause they shouldn't be married!
            Hmm, yeah there is some truth in the statement which u said. But I think the main point of the message is not really that, absence will definitely cause love for someone to fade off (not always the case, & shdn't be), but rather, presence nurtures the growth of love, just like the plants.

            So i agree with periwinkle to truly treasure those who are around us, rather to take them for granted simply because they are close and near to us.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by vantastica
              Hmm, yeah there is some truth in the statement which u said. But I think the main point of the message is not really that, absence will definitely cause love for someone to fade off (not always the case, & shdn't be), but rather, presence nurtures the growth of love, just like the plants.

              So i agree with periwinkle to truly treasure those who are around us, rather to take them for granted simply because they are close and near to us.
              Thank you vantastica, you have said what i was trying to convey.

              Comment


              • #8
                thanks periwinkle for this reminder .most of us knows that we must treasure those who are around us & not to take them for granted. however,many a times we are too caught up with ourselves.

                Comment

                Working...
                X