Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Maid / Domestic help woes...

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • ...............
    Last edited by Medusa; 14-11-2008, 10:16 PM. Reason: ......................

    Comment


    • Ashlee,
      I saw in the newspaper some travel agent is advertising $88 for air ticket to Jakarta. I think travel agents have special maid fares which are not available anywhere else.

      Comment


      • ladies,

        my maid who has been with me coming to 5 mths request to buy a handphone....her reason being her parent want to call her during night time or weekend but I rejected her giving her reason no need to waste her salary to buy expensive handphone if her parent want to call her can call our house phone but only at night or weekend when we are out...do you think we are reasonable??

        Comment


        • I don't think it's unreasonable. You're already agreeing to let her parents call on weekends and at nights .. which is fine ... there is no need for a handphone. It's expensive and she'll be tied to a contract .. she might also start getting other calls that may not be from her family back home ... or she may start chatting and sms-ing on her handphone needlessly during the daytime when she is supposed to be working ...

          Comment


          • Ever since my maid befriend with my neighbour's maid next door, she 's starting to change a little. She began to request for a hp from my mom(must be taught by the other maid), but she told her that if she got the money, she can buy it herself. After a few days, she really got herself a hp, and I wonder where she got the money from. And everynight i will hear her changing many ringtones on her mobile. Quite irritating. And whenever i need her, she'll be hiding somewhere smsing....
            But there's few times she asked me to teach her how to use the function of her hp, claiming that she want to send sms to her daughter in Indonesia. I hope she's really smsing her family and not some other banglah out there.

            Comment


            • OH dear, now then i realise why GG previously said that my decision for keeping my maid is a risky one I caught her with another hp 2 days ago. Few wks back, i've confiscated the sony ericsson and now is a nokia!!

              She promise to change after the frist incident, but still all are lies. Again, it's the same bangladeshi boyfriend, and another one in malaysia. She also secretly went out to meet her boyfriend in the market! So I ask her how she got this phone, and she told me one of the maid ard our neighbourhood gave her.

              This morning, that maid came and look for me, she wanted to get the phone back. But i was so furious and refuse to. I feel i'm unreasonable, but i do not know whether is this the truth? Does the phone really belongs to her? I told her if you want to get back the phone, ask her employer to call me, but she refuse. She beg me not to call her employer etc. She say she is sorry, she gave the hp to my maid so that she can call back indonesia and all those nonsense.

              I've finalised my decision and that is to send my maid back home, even though i have to fork out money to buy tickets I'm now waiting for another new maid's bio data before i send the existing back.

              But in order to prevent the next one from going astray, do u gals think that i am too harsh if i approach the employer of the maids ard my neighbourhood? I mean for a friendly discussion on this matter? Because i know who is the blacksheep among them. Should i or should i not?

              Comment


              • In my opinion, its best to have a "private" discussions among your " neighbours" who have maids.You may have better " advise" from them & at the same time you gained more info of "tricks" these maids are having.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by kristalangel
                  I don't think it's unreasonable. You're already agreeing to let her parents call on weekends and at nights .. which is fine ... there is no need for a handphone. It's expensive and she'll be tied to a contract .. she might also start getting other calls that may not be from her family back home ... or she may start chatting and sms-ing on her handphone needlessly during the daytime when she is supposed to be working ...

                  that's what i am worry of too..instead of workind during the day she hide somewhere to sms and ignore my baby how!

                  so i really don't want to let her buy a hp even though its her own $$ but my contract with her did state NO HANDPHONE allowed during working

                  Comment


                  • Ok, I'm not sure if this qualifies as a woe, but my maid seems to always get approached by lecherous uncles who either try to cop a feel from her or chat her up and try to get her number. These uncles usually strike when my maid's out with my grandfather, and my grandfather is not around / near her (eg. when he goes to the toilet).

                    What irritates me is that she doesn't know how to react to such advances and will only complain to me when I get home. I've already told her before to yell for help if anyone tries to be funny with her, but she seems to have this fear that she will get into trouble if she offends the uncles. Any cotters here face such a 'problem' with their maids?

                    FYI, my maid (who is Indonesian & Muslim) is only 21yo this year, and while she's not exactly drop-dead gorgeous, she looks young and cute. Her dressing is not flashy and she usually wears t-shirts with jeans.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by creepcake
                      Ok, I'm not sure if this qualifies as a woe, but my maid seems to always get approached by lecherous uncles who either try to cop a feel from her or chat her up and try to get her number. These uncles usually strike when my maid's out with my grandfather, and my grandfather is not around / near her (eg. when he goes to the toilet).

                      What irritates me is that she doesn't know how to react to such advances and will only complain to me when I get home. I've already told her before to yell for help if anyone tries to be funny with her, but she seems to have this fear that she will get into trouble if she offends the uncles. Any cotters here face such a 'problem' with their maids?

                      FYI, my maid (who is Indonesian & Muslim) is only 21yo this year, and while she's not exactly drop-dead gorgeous, she looks young and cute. Her dressing is not flashy and she usually wears t-shirts with jeans.
                      If you permits,let her wear the head scarves "tudung" (if she wants) so as to avoid unneccessary "invites" from bangla or even the lecher uncles so as to say..so far my maid do not have prob and best suggestion,advise her not to look at them or even just ignore them.

                      Comment


                      • I think anneffendi's suggestion of a tudung is very good. My maid likes to wear the tudung when she goes out for her time-off.

                        Also make sure her t-shirt and jeans are not too tight, and her tops are not too thin. Strictly forbid her to talk to any strangers.

                        I just hired a new maid to take care of my father. Everyday she will bring my father out on the wheelchair to walk around in the park. I am not worried at all, because she is already 37 years old, and very ugly I am not trying to be mean, but it took me quite some time to get use to her looks.

                        Comment


                        • tamarind:

                          I hired an Indonesian maid recently to assist my mum in taking care of my 2 little princes. My friend asked me to go thru my maid's belongings periodically to ensure that she does not keep things that she should not keep. So that was what I did last afternoon. An what a shock I had. Found out that she kept strands of hair neatly wrapped up in a piece of tissue paper, enclosed in a red packet which was used to hold wedding cakes (we got that from a chinese wedding dinner & my mum gave the maid the cakes in the packaging). The hair doesn't seem to belong to any of my family members, but I m not 100% sure. But it gives me creeps anyway..... Why is she keeping that???? I have heard stories of Indonesian maids attempting to practise witchcraft on their employers to keep their job & etc.

                          Any of you know the real significance of keeping strands of hair?

                          Comment


                          • i dunno man ... but yes, anyone who knows please please enlighten us .. my maid will be arriving here on the 10th of July ... I am due of the 30th of Sept with our 3rd child so we finally thought maybe the extra help would be needed ... but I've been hearing so many bad things about foreign domestic workers that my hubby and I are starting to regret the decision to get a maid. Please please God, let her be DECENT at least !!!!!

                            Comment


                            • Yeah, with so many incidents involving maids. I wonder whether they are here to help us or add to our burden.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by crustacean
                                Any of you know the real significance of keeping strands of hair?
                                Ok, I've just spoken to my maid on the above issue. According to her, she believes in the 'superstition' of keeping the strands of hair of whoever she has a crush on. The lock of hair will be kept until the other person reciprocates her love and becomes her SO.

                                Are the strands of hair long / short? She asked me which part of Indonesia your maid is from, because the above may not necessarily apply to your maid.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X