Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

USA > West Coast

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • hey gals... need your help here... realized that most hotels in san francisco are overpriced given the amenities they offer... need your input/recommendations on decent hotels, which are not overly pricey (i.e. US$80-120 thereabout, clean, safe neighbourhood)... Further, is air conditioning really an important factor to consider when booking rooms cuz i heard it can be quite cold in san fran (will be going there in late july)... tia =)...

    Comment


    • Hotels in Las Vegas

      Hi all! I will be going to US in this coming Sep and I am currently in the midst of planning my LA-LV-SF itinerary. As this will be my first trip to the States, I have a couple of questions which I hope some of the lovely podders here can help me with.

      Currently, I am having a hard time trying to decide where I should stay in LV. I have shortlisted Imperial Palace, Circus Circus and Golden Nuggets. Although each hotel has its own strengths, I have come across forums that have given them horrible reviews. Now I can't decide which is the best among the lot. Also, as I will be travelling out of LV for 2 nights before coming back to the Sin city again, is it safe if I leave my big luggage with the hotel concierge? Do these hotels provide such a service in the first place?

      Is Universal Studio worth going to? Given a choice between Universal Studio and Santa Monica, which would be better? Since I will not be driving for this trip, is Santa Monica easily accessible just by using the local transport system?

      I read that Griffith Observatory is one of the best places to view the Hollywood sign. How do you get there from the Kodak Theatre? Are there any places where I can view the Hollywood sign clearly other than Griffith Observatory?

      That's all for the time being! TIA!
      Last edited by chiusy; 24-06-2008, 01:00 PM.

      Comment


      • agree..stay within the strip...
        if im not wrong, specific days for staying at bellagio is USD159..cheap considering its bellagio..

        hths..

        Comment


        • hi all,

          i'll be going to san francisco sometime in october. any recommendations for factory outlets to visit in or near san francisco?

          thanks!

          Comment


          • Hi kissfrombeigirl

            Thks for the wonderful feedback about Imperial Palace! By the way, did u stay in the deluxe room?

            I'll be travelling to US this coming Sep. Have done up my itinerary. Like you, I will not be driving but will be signing up for the land tours to places like Grand Canyon, Bryce Canyon, Zion Valley and Yosemite NP. I'll be flying by ANA into LA and out by SF. During my trip, I will also be taking a domestic flight from LV to SF. All in, my costs are estimated to be around SGD4,300. Hee hee...around what you have spent.

            Comment


            • Hi kissesfrombeigirl

              Hee hee...I ended up booking Harrah's for my LV trip. Seems like US economy is slowing down and in order to boost up their occupancy rates, hotels in LV have started slashing their room rates up to the month of Sep. I am currently paying an average of US$87 per night (before taxes) for my booking and I think that was quite a good deal!

              As for my budget of SGD4,300, it includes everything except shopping.

              Comment


              • Hi KissesfromBeigirl,

                Thanks for sharing My friend has made bookings at Prescott Hotel, which is at post street. Hope that area is safer than Tenderloin. I was told that that the blacks congregate in certain streets so it is actually wiser to make a detour and avoid them.

                Sidetrack a bit, is LV cheaper in US or are the boutiques more well-stocked than Singapore?

                Thanks =)
                Last edited by Inner_peace; 08-07-2008, 12:33 AM.

                Comment


                • From what I gather, only slightly cheaper. But definately a better shopping experience there. Not so crowded, and you can browse leisurely... Also more well stocked.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by caramel980 View Post
                    hi all,

                    i'll be going to san francisco sometime in october. any recommendations for factory outlets to visit in or near san francisco?

                    thanks!

                    Check out http://www.premiumoutlets.com/centers/

                    There are 4 outlets around SF. I have been to the Gilroy one. It's about two hours south of SF. I quite like it there.


                    For anyone going to Las Vegas, check out

                    http://www.lasvegas-how-to.com/special.html

                    http://www.vegascoupons.com/

                    or www.slickdeals.net Keywod: Las Vegas


                    Los Angeles,

                    Go to Desert Hills Premium Outlets. It's very far about two hours out of LA. Personally, I think if you are gonna splurge there, the trip definitely worth the money you save. There are some serious brand names there: Dior, Bottega, BanRep, DKNY, D&G, Tommy Hilf., Rock & Republic, etc.

                    A Dior Bag from Summer '07, original price about USD $1,300 was sold for $500. If you're lucky and you happen to stumble on a sale, I would think the price will go even less. Right on the side of the outlets, there is a casino, too!

                    http://www.premiumoutlets.com/outlet...sting.asp?id=6
                    Last edited by natazha; 25-07-2008, 12:57 PM.

                    Comment


                    • I am visiting Los Angeles soon. Will be going to the shopping factory outlets. But the information i found in the website are very limited. Can anyone assist me on the direction and transportation. Thank you.

                      Camarillo Premium Outlets in Camarillo
                      Take a bus to L.A. Union Station, then a Metrolink or Amtrak train to Camarillo. From the Camarillo station, you can either take a long walk or one of the on demand taxi services

                      Citadel
                      The citadel is easily accessible by taking MTA Bus 62 from Downtown LA

                      Ontario Mills
                      Ontario Mills is accessible by taking the Metrolink San Bndo Line from LA Union Station. Exit at Rancho Cucamonga Station and take the OmniTrans 82 bus over. Your Metrolink ticket can be use as a transfer to OmniTrans.

                      Camarillo Premium Outlets in Camarillo
                      The VISTA Bus ( Hwy 101/Conejo Route ) takes u straight there from Camarillo Station
                      http://www.amtrakcalifornia.com/rail...illo/index.cfm

                      Comment


                      • Hi girls,

                        For those who have been in West USA (Los Angeles/Las Vegas/San Francisco) around beginning of October, what would you recommend to wear?

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by huimin25 View Post
                          I am visiting Los Angeles soon. Will be going to the shopping factory outlets. But the information i found in the website are very limited. Can anyone assist me on the direction and transportation. Thank you.

                          Camarillo Premium Outlets in Camarillo
                          Take a bus to L.A. Union Station, then a Metrolink or Amtrak train to Camarillo. From the Camarillo station, you can either take a long walk or one of the on demand taxi services

                          Citadel
                          The citadel is easily accessible by taking MTA Bus 62 from Downtown LA

                          Ontario Mills
                          Ontario Mills is accessible by taking the Metrolink San Bndo Line from LA Union Station. Exit at Rancho Cucamonga Station and take the OmniTrans 82 bus over. Your Metrolink ticket can be use as a transfer to OmniTrans.

                          Camarillo Premium Outlets in Camarillo
                          The VISTA Bus ( Hwy 101/Conejo Route ) takes u straight there from Camarillo Station
                          http://www.amtrakcalifornia.com/rail...illo/index.cfm
                          I suggest you only go to Camarillo, Ontario Mills, and Desert Hills. Citadel is not that good. Camarillo and Ontario Mills sell similar stuffs. However, Camarillo is outdoor and Ontario is more like a mall-type mall.

                          The public transportation in LA sucks big times. It will save you more time if you can just rent a car and then drive to the outlets. If you get a good deal, sometimes you will only need about USD10-20 to rent a car with unlimited mileage. You will just need direction to go to these outlets, which you can look from maps.yahoo.com

                          Some directions to the outlets with starting point as Los Angeles Airport:

                          Camarillo
                          http://maps.yahoo.com/#mvt=m&lat=34....arillo%2C%20ca

                          Ontario Mills
                          http://maps.yahoo.com/#mvt=m&lat=33....ntario%2C%20ca

                          Desert Hills
                          http://maps.yahoo.com/#mvt=m&lat=33....C%20CA%2092230

                          Since all the outlets are quite far from one another, I suggest you look at their websites for store listings. These outlets above mostly share the same stores with one another. However, I think only the one in Desert Hills (Cabazon), has Dior, Salvatore, and Gucci.

                          Don't ever take Public Transportation in LA. Let me know if you still need help.




                          Originally posted by cookiesnomore View Post
                          Hi girls,

                          For those who have been in West USA (Los Angeles/Las Vegas/San Francisco) around beginning of October, what would you recommend to wear?


                          LA should still be hot around that time, especially since now, the hottest part of the summer has yet to arrive. So far, it has been a very mild summer this year. I don't know if it's going to change, but usually what I wear around October is just summer clothing on the daytime, and then put some nice jackets on top for night time. I also change from flip-flop to some covered-toe shoes if it's really cold at night. Vegas should have a more dramatic climate change since it's right on the middle of desert. Much hotter at daytime and much colder than LA at night.

                          SF's weather is trickier. SF weather is almost always cool at night, or sometimes even day time. I have lived in both LA and SF, and SF's weather is the only one who always gets me for being underdressed. So, I suggest to bring some blazers ready with you even on daytime. Plus, if you are going to spend your day in Union Square of SF, the buildings there are quite tall, so the sunshine is blocked most times. You can feel very cold when you are walking outside there.

                          Hope this helps.
                          Last edited by natazha; 05-08-2008, 11:20 PM.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by kissesfrombeigi
                            Hi Inner_peace,

                            i passed by Prescott, it's near our first hotel, Dakota, location is OK, not at the segregated panhandlers' area you mentioned. But be prepared to see a handful of panhandlers around that area though, actually SF has lots and lots of these people, they are pretty harmless but have to be careful still, anyway i passed by the Tenderloin area when we were in the bus to the airport one morning, we saw lots of panhandlers lining up for something, but don't know what.

                            anyway, yeah, i should think Prescott is fine and very near Union Square too :D

                            LV is only a little bit cheaper, maybe about $30-70 cheaper in the US.
                            Hi Kissesfrombeigi,
                            can i check with you; on a scale of 1 to 10, how would you rate the service of Northwest? Is it bearable?
                            My sister told me that they only serve one meal for the second leg of the flight!

                            What say you?

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by kissesfrombeigi
                              Hi Inner_peace,

                              i passed by Prescott, it's near our first hotel, Dakota, location is OK, not at the segregated panhandlers' area you mentioned. But be prepared to see a handful of panhandlers around that area though, actually SF has lots and lots of these people, they are pretty harmless but have to be careful still, anyway i passed by the Tenderloin area when we were in the bus to the airport one morning, we saw lots of panhandlers lining up for something, but don't know what.

                              anyway, yeah, i should think Prescott is fine and very near Union Square too :D

                              LV is only a little bit cheaper, maybe about $30-70 cheaper in the US.
                              Just returned from my US trip and I am itching for another vacation already. Prescott was located around 1 block away from Union Square and seemed pretty safe during my stay. I didn't see any panhandlers along the street nor hear any gunshots at night. Saw quite a number of panhandlers at powell station though and one of them actually danced and made funny faces in front of my camera. Others just sat on the floor, holding cardboards with interesting remarks such as "will take verbal abuse for money". All in all, the panhandlers were pretty harmless like Kissesfrombeigirl mentioned.

                              It was pretty chilly in San Francisco, vastly different from the hot and unbearable climate in Las Vegas. It was scorching hot in Las Vegas (around 104 fahrenheit), even the wind from my hand fan was hot. SO and I were so delighted to finally see trees when we travelled out of Las Vegas and headed towards Grand Canyon. Temperatures at Anaheim was akin to Singapore in the day but can turn a little windy at night. So for travellers going to US West Coast soon, do take into consideration the differences in climate when packing your luggage.

                              Comment


                              • hi innerpeace
                                I am going to US next month..very excited already. This is my 3rd trip doing to SF, LA and LV route but I still get excited...
                                I am already drawing up my shopping list..
                                May I know where did you stay in San Fran and if you drive? TIA!

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X