No announcement yet.

USA > West Coast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pinktuutuu np. You can use maps.google.com/transit to help in your public transport planning. It helped me a lot when I was in SF, know which bus stop to go to, to get to my destination, saved me a lot of time. There is even a virtual tour function available in the website, so you can click around to see the area. Like I was expecting pink buildings around my bus stop then, and I found it real quick

Comment

• Originally posted by pinktuutuu View Post
      i need some help, i've prepared my itinerary for LA and SF and need advice if its feasible to cover everything wthin the stated days. note: no driving, getting around via public transport. TIA!

day1 Los angeles
      10.30am ? Universal Studios Hollywood & Citywalk
      2.00pm ? Check out the Hollywood Walk of Fame
      3.15pm ? Melrose Ave
      5.00pm ? Getty Museum at the Getty Centre
      7.00pm ? Sunset Strip / Sunset Boulevard for shopping

day 2 Los angeles
      10.30am ? Museum of Comtemporary Arts
      12.30pm ? Walt Disney Concert Hall - by Frank Ghery
      1.30pm ? Check out Main street / 3rd street for shopping
      4.00pm ? Beverly Hills / Rodeo Drive
      5.45pm ? Santa Monica pier, take a ride on the ferris wheel, then walk towards
      ? Venice Beach?s Ocean Front Walk
      7.45pm ? Hollywood Bowl

day 3 Los angeles
      10.30am ? Desert Hills Premium outlet wholeday

day 4 San Francisco
      Travel up to San Francisco for the weekend ? Check in to Hotel 3pm
      6.15pm ? SF MOMA @Yerba Buena, 151 Third Street
      8.00pm ? Shopping @Union Square

day 5 san francisco
      10.30am ? Cable Car ride $5 (Market and Powell st)
      12.15am ? Fisherman?s Wharf - Pier39 / Aquarium by the Bay
      3.00pm ? Proceed to explore Civic Centre (Hayes Valley / Little Saigon)

day 6 san francisco - Head towards the Marina District
      10.30am - Stroll along the marina, make way to the footpath to the southern end of the Golden Gate Bridge
      11.30pm ? Golden Gate Bridge
      1.15pm ? Arrive at de Young Museum, Golden Gate Park
      3.30pm ? Walk out of the park and head into the Haight
      4.45pm ? Explore the Haight-Ashbury district - vintage and happening shops
      ? Explore The Castro - more happening shops
      i dont know how ure gonna get around in LA... note that it is quite spread out, and you probably cant get around within minutes as you can in new york or singapore. get a car if you can. i agree with ssshortcake, spend more time at union square. on day 5, you can take a cable car from union square to the fisherman's wharf... it goes by chinatown and all of that.

Comment

• I didn't visit Chinatown, just walked through it once when I went to one of the restaurants on the next street.

Cos it's quite Hong Kongish, note that there are a lot of Cantonese in SF. So I figure that it ain't worth the time to linger around the place if I have a time constraint.

OOT, if you visit USA, do go to Stinking Rose if you get a chance to. It's a garlic themed restaurant, everything's so good there.

Comment

• As a rule of thumb, when planning free and easy holidays, you shouldn't plan right down to the minute. It is different from touring from tour groups because when you join a tour group, you are ferried around in a bus and will usually be able to squeeze many things into 1 day (right down to the hour). Also I noted that you will be travelling with your family in LA - if you pack your itinerary so tight, will it cause tempers to fray after a while?

When travelling around free and easy, I prefer to leave my itinerary loose so that we won't be tied down to the itinerary and freak out when we cannot cover so many ithings. We are headed to SF and basically, I allocated 4 days to SF with a list of things that we may want to do (just so that we won't be bored, although I have never been bored with SF - it's a beautiful city). So that if we wake up feeling lazy, we can just chill at a cafe and watch the world go by instead of chasing after the golden gate bridge / park. But of course everyone's aim in travelling is different - if you want to squeeze in many sights, do note that you may end up getting very tired (particularly when you have scheduled things by the hour).

Regarding your itinerary - are you flying to SF or travelling by bus? If flying, I would suggest taking an earlier flight so that you can get to SF earlier instead of only having the evening at Union Square. Like what other cotters said, Union Square is not 1 shopping mall - all the shops are in various blocks of each other. It's something like going to Causeway Bay to shop versus Ginza where everything is congregated on 2 main streets. 8pm is a bit late in my opinion. If there are time constraints, why not consider flying to Vegas instead to shop, eat and see the Grand Canyon? The vegas hotels are dirt cheap at the moment thanks to the US economy being in doldrums. You can easily get 5 star hotels on the strip at about US$129 (or lesser) per night, versus in the haydays where these rooms will go for US$400 a night.

For LA, is it possible for you to rent a car? It's really quite difficult to get around the states without a car - their public transport system is not that great + places are far apart. If you were going to London or NYC, you don't need a car because the tube and the subway have the entire cities hooked up pretty well (particularly for tourists).

Hope that helps!!

Comment

• thanks for the tips and advices! I figured that with time stamped on it, it might help me with keeping to the itinerary. of course everything can be loosen up. I will be staying in Monterey and our family will be driving us to SF for that weekend. Driving up to LA with family as well. so we're saving on air tickets.

Comment

• Hi everyone. My hubby is here in san diego for business trip and I'm tagging along. We only got 3 weekends here. And we want to visit san diego zoo, disneyland, hollywood, universal studio, dessert hill premium outlet. Not sure if 3 wkends is enough.

One of his UK colleague is going to universal studio on this coming sat and they r going to spend whole day there. They r asking us along. I'm just thinking is it worth going to universal studio for the whole day? I dont think they want to go to disneyland with us. So my question is any cotters being to universal studio? worth going? thank you !!

Comment

• Hi!

My frens and I are planning for our grad trip. We are planning to head to states. We have a budget of $4K.

I wonder if it's enough to travel to LV, LA and NYC?

Thanks!

Comment

• I personally prefer Universal Studios than Disneyland. You probably need an entire day because the queue for the rides could be long .. I had a great time! Disney was just disney to me. I've been to the ones in LA, Japan, HK & think Tokyo's the best (minus the queue, LA has shorter queue than Tokyo).

Comment

• Originally posted by sweetlhh View Post
                    Hi everyone. My hubby is here in san diego for business trip and I'm tagging along. We only got 3 weekends here. And we want to visit san diego zoo, disneyland, hollywood, universal studio, dessert hill premium outlet. Not sure if 3 wkends is enough.

One of his UK colleague is going to universal studio on this coming sat and they r going to spend whole day there. They r asking us along. I'm just thinking is it worth going to universal studio for the whole day? I dont think they want to go to disneyland with us. So my question is any cotters being to universal studio? worth going? thank you !!
                    universal studios is worth going. especially if you like those thrilling rides
                    i only managed to spend 1/2-3/4 day there. rather rushed.

san diego zoo however, you might want to give a miss
                    quite a few of my friends complained it was terrible. i spent a day there, but i felt it was similar to singapore zoo actually

Comment

• Hi girls. Has anyone of you been to Vacaville Premium Outlet at SF before? How is it? Any comment?

Comment

• Originally posted by babykiss_eliz View Post
                        Hi!

My frens and I are planning for our grad trip. We are planning to head to states. We have a budget of $4K.

Thanks!
                        babykiss eliz, hi there, how long do u intend to stay in the states for may i ask?

but 4k sounds like a healthy amount, then again it depends on how long u're staying in each area.

Comment

• Originally posted by babykiss_eliz View Post
                          Hi!

Thanks!
                          Hi babykiss_eliz,

When you planning to go & how many days u be there? 4k should be enough for your airtic/accom/transport...

Comment

• Originally posted by PinkiMe View Post
                            Hi babykiss_eliz,

When you planning to go & how many days u be there? 4k should be enough for your airtic/accom/transport...
                            Hi! PinkiMe,

We are going end of feb next yr. Wanna plan early as I don wanna miss out on any interesting places. We are thinking of max 3 weeks.

Do you know how is the weather like in feb to early mar? I know its winter but exactly how cold its like?

Thanks!

Comment

• im supposed to go to California in less than 2 wks and the swine flu has to break out now. anyone in a stcuked position similar to mine? dunno to go anot?

Comment

• Originally posted by frostberry View Post
                                im supposed to go to California in less than 2 wks and the swine flu has to break out now. anyone in a stcuked position similar to mine? dunno to go anot?
                                Hi frostberry. I'll be going to Chicago for training from 17 - 22 May then fly to San Francisco for a week. Hopefully everything will be okay by then.

Comment

Working...
                                X