No announcement yet.

Does religion matter to you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Was convert as a christian a few yrs ago.... lost e zest for God somehow this year.. probably I got fed up w some christian frenz keep telling me i shldnt date non-christian guy.... which by e way is true.... bf of 3yrs is a non-christian

Another thing tt irks me is how they keep nagging me on my faults n wrongdoings... omg cant u give me some slack?

I wld say im at a crossroad for e past half a year.... On one hand I want to continue as christian n in my own opinion, I believed wad God says abt sins etc... on e other hand it really turned me off w so many rules n regulations (cannot non-christian bf... picking on me on wrongdoings etc)....

If only im born perfect.... haha

Comment

no it doesn't matter, any religion is fine with me

Comment

Hmm, actually it's not that Christians don't respect their partners and want to convert them. Rather, it is because the bible itself states that one should not inter-marry between diff. religions.....not cos of elite-ness or anything, but cos of it's better to have the same values, same practices etc. But then again! It is discouraged for any Christian to be with a non-Christian in the first place, also because non-Christian partners shouldn't be coerced into the religion or to convert for the sake of someone else etc. And thus...in the first place, the converting phase shouldn't even happen in the first place....

An example of clashes-- A Christian is forbidden to have pre-marital sex, whereas pre-marital sex is alright (depending on personal preferencesor values) among most other religions (e.g. Buddhism) or free thinkers. Thus it would be quite disastrous if a Christian girl wants to stay a virgin and her bf doesn't want to......(as much as we'd like to think that the guy would always respect her decision, this is not always the case, and what if he visits prostitutes? )

Another example of a clash would be how Christianity is very much a way of life etc, a relationship with God....and is not just attending church once a week. Thus it is against Christianity to attend church once a week, and attend say....your partner's temple for the next week. It calls for either one or another...no in betweens so that's why it's not so simple for Christians la. Hope this makes things more understandable....

Comment

Originally posted by Pixash
          HmAn example of clashes-- A Christian is forbidden to have pre-marital sex, whereas pre-marital sex is alright (depending on personal preferencesor values) among most other religions (e.g. Buddhism) or free thinkers.
          That's not really the case in Buddhism: what Buddhism teaches is to reduce one's attachment to pleasures of the senses (such as gluttony, sexual desires, greed, anger, etc). That is its focus and the only aim of the Buddha in his teachings. Buddhism is actually silent on whether premarital sex - or homosexuality for that matter - is permissible. But what it is clear about is maintaining moral restraint from the desires of the flesh.

I can't remember if I've contributed to this thread -i need to scroll up. I'm a practising Buddhist and I dated a Muslim and a Buddhist (at different times of course, lol). Like many other things in life you've got to adjust to the different ways in which people lead their lives, not just religion. For instance, you may have different goals in lives and interests. Your husband/boyfriend may want children, but you may not want to, etc etc. Relationships are pretty difficult things to maintain huh.

Comment

Me and Dear both free thinker..we respect all religion...
            Last edited by wennduku; 28-03-2006, 02:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by peach_girl

Another thing tt irks me is how they keep nagging me on my faults n wrongdoings... omg cant u give me some slack?

I wld say im at a crossroad for e past half a year.... On one hand I want to continue as christian n in my own opinion, I believed wad God says abt sins etc... on e other hand it really turned me off w so many rules n regulations (cannot non-christian bf... picking on me on wrongdoings etc)....

If only im born perfect.... haha
              I think the solution would be to find a better church. Different pastors are different, and some are more open minded and sensible. It would be a pity to give up on your faith because of some moron you met.

Yes, the nagging on various faults is annoying - and it happens in so many religions. I once told my bf that some people are more determind to point out how you're going to hell, than teach you how to get to heaven.

*Ahem* I was going to say that there was an interesting article some time back, on how different religions relate to each other. Apparently, according to Buddhist belief, Christ was obviously a Buddah too (buddha meaning enlightened being). According to Islam, Christ was a prophet, though not the son of God and they believed that God saved Christ so that Christ never really died. And according to Islam, Muslims are encouraged to marry People of the Book (Qu'ran/Bible/Torah), because these people are descended from Abraham, and share the same values.

Hee. I was also going to say that there are lots of things in the Qu'ran and the Bible and the Torah that you should listen to - and a lot of things that you shouldn't! A lot of the "rules" in there are based on the culture of the time. The "halal" method of slaughter for meat animals that the Muslims insist on is because the Prophet said to be kind to animals, so the halal method used to be the kindest, quickest way to do it. That's why some modern Muslims nowadays don't care if the meat is halal, because they say that modern slaughterhouses are quite humane too.

And if you really want to be a strict Christian, you have to stop eating seafood like prawns and crabs, and you can't wear clothes that use a blend e.g. lycra/cotton. That means - NO VS, no more cute little camis from F21..heheheheheh..

So.. I guess that whatever your faith, it pays to be tolerant, and to be educated! After all, if your faith is so important to you, you should read up about it, right?

And don't necessarily trust someone because he's a paster/iman/priest. I know a pastor who told the children in his congregation that their Buddhist friends were going to hell, so they should help them by converting. And back in WW2, the Catholic Church was guilty of refusing to condemn Hitler when he was killing the Jews.

Comment

To me.. religion doesn't matter. I'm an aetheist. After years of being in a methodist school, then an anglican.. and having been to several christian churchs... i have come to conclude that it is your own faith that is important. I believe in God.. but not necessarily the churches ( christians.. dont slam me for this) .

The bible is the same... why do different dominations of christians believe in different things? Why do pastors preach different sermons? At the end of the day... i think it all boils down to personal interpretations.. and hence these personal interpretations should not be forced upon everyone else.

I have been to churches who break up couples just because they're still schooling. I disagree because you can never forbid people to love regardless of how young they are.. but educate them about responsibility about commiting to someone of the opposite sex.

I pick up books at kino titled ' Satan's devils' and it lists down basically all gods of other religion. My grandmother is buddhist, she worships ancestors and idols at home and i love her dearly. How can someone just slap the term 'Satan's devils' on her very beliefs?

I have heard of christians who 'condemn' their grandparents for worshipping 'pieces of wood'.
                Or some who would offer tens of thousands to their fellow members in the church for a larvish wedding but threaten to send their own mother to old age homes when she asked for $400 to spend for chinese new year.(which her religion doesn't believe in)

Yes.. i know that there are black sheeps from every religion... just that those who try so hard to change people into their beliefs should look inwards before looking outwards. Nonetheless, religion is a good thing. SO is catholic and i like it that his family have strong spiritual roots. His mother wants a church wedding when we get married and im perfectly happy to do so because they don't force me to be a catholic. If we do have kids.. i would surely baptist him, let him go to church and be an alter boy like his dad.... but if 20 years down the road, he decides he wants to believe in something else.... then go ahead.

Comment

By the way snow runner, can u remember what article was it that you read? I came across something similiar and would like to take a look at it again. I have a keen interest in this subject... and perhaps it could help explains why some elderly would look upon mother mary as 'guan yin' and how catholism appeals to buddhists, taoist, hindus as well...

Comment

I'm a Muslim and my best friend's a Catholic

I'd say when making friends, religion doesn't matter but I get really uncomfortable when my friends pass me material to read from their institutions and books to read (which include direct references to verses from the Bible)... How to say no, thank you? They're friends and the friendships put me on the spot.

My point is that, so long as people don't try to force their religions, directly or indirectly, on me, I'm fine.

To each his own.

Comment

i'm a catholic and to me, religion is something very personal. i do not believe in forcing someone to have the same religion as me just because I believe in it, even my husband is a free-thinker. religion has to be something *** u personally believe in and felt comfortable with having.

i came from a buddhist family but somehow i just cannot seem to connect with it and I seek to explore for a religion for myself. i personally felt this should be the way.....

Comment

Originally posted by miaka05

i came from a buddhist family but somehow i just cannot seem to connect with it and I seek to explore for a religion for myself. i personally felt this should be the way.....
                        I think there's a traditional Chinese saying: "When you point at the moon, only a fool looks at the finger. There are many ways to heaven."

Comment

Originally posted by snowrunner
                          ...There are many ways to heaven."[
                          snowrunner, it's quite interesting that you brought this up : just a few weeks ago I asked a few Christian friends whether a person can go to heaven via other routes and not solely by being Christian. A few said that Jesus stated clearly in the New Testament that it is only through Jesus that a person can be saved, for Jesus himself stated in the New Testament, "I am the truth, the way and the life. No one comes to Father but by me." Then again, I've had a couple of Christian friends give me different answers. One or two told me that it doesn't matter (but they didn't elaborate because it was a short conversation).

(Buddhism differs to a large extent, but that is another story for another day)
                          Last edited by poochi; 04-04-2006, 05:46 PM.

Comment

Christianity believes that there's only one way to heaven and that's through Jesus Christ and this is quite heavily emphasized so I'm surprised your Christian friends told you that it doesn't matter.

But then again, Christianity is actually sort of divided into many different groups e.g. Methodists, Protestants, Lutherans etc. And one thing that is commonly confused with Christianity is Catholicism. They're actually quite different because the Catholics place importance on Mother Mary whereas with Christians, it's Jesus.

Comment

You're right that it's fundamental to Christian belief (that there is only one way to heaven), but only two Christian friends differed and told me it wasn't crucial for "entry to heaven" - they are indeed few and far between.

I suppose they have their reasons for saying that- I must ask them sometime.
                              Last edited by poochi; 04-04-2006, 10:45 PM. Reason: grammar mistakes

Comment

Originally posted by D3stiny
                                How to say no, thank you? They're friends and the friendships put me on the spot.:
                                I think you just said it!! Friends should respect one another in that aspect too....
                                I know a married couple who each has their own religion. They've raised the family is a very unique way in this aspect. All the sons follow the dad's religion while the gals follow the mum. :wow:

Originally posted by D3stiny
                                My point is that, so long as people don't try to force their religions, directly or indirectly, on me, I'm fine. .:
                                hahha... so long you're not at gunpoint, I don't think you're being forced. You just need to learn to reject them... politely.
                                Last edited by GG; 04-04-2006, 10:55 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X