Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• snowrunner
    replied
    oh, that explains why. Sufism is a very individualistic Islamic sect - they believe that there is no set way of achieving closeness to God, and that everyone has their own method, which should be accepted so long as it doesn't harm yourself or others.

An example: the Turkish Whirling Dervishes are sufic, and they belive that through their dance, they are brought closer to God.

Leave a comment:

• poochi
    replied
    That's such a nice thought, hehe. I know one Muslim who's like that. He practises Sufism (I'm not sure what it is though).

I guess there are just some things which are beyond human knowledge!

Leave a comment:

• snowrunner
    replied
    Originally posted by poochi
    You're right that it's fundamental to Christian belief (that there is only one way to heaven), but only two Christian friends differed and told me it wasn't crucial for "entry to heaven" - they are indeed few and far between.
    Interestingly enough, some Muslims point out that the Qu'ran says that "all who do good deeds shall go to heaven", and interpret that as it doesn't matter what faith you belong to.

Leave a comment:

• delirious
    replied
    i think i still consider myself a christian despite not attending church for about 2 years. i love my religion and would love to learn more about it. however, it's the issue with my church. i had been with 2 churches and both were wonderfully kind to me initially. and when i've become comfortable with them, i'm thrown with all the "you can't do these, you have to be like this" kind of attitude. i don't believe and highly doubt that the bible ever states that if you can't afford to attend church for services every sunday, you have sinned. and ever since, i've witness what they were saying about my friends who later became attached to each other, i've swear off all of their activities. sometimes it's irony to be seeing christians who are actively promoting the better lifestyles of being a christian, yet you see them gossiping about other's behaviour which they themselves deem to be wrong and sinful. well, i still believe that God is the only one to judge us whether we have sinned and fit for heaven.

Leave a comment:

• namida
    replied
    it matters a lot to me ..it is the only thing which keep me sane and humane

Leave a comment:

• Fluffs
    replied
    Once when I was in baptism class in my younger years, my paster once told me a simple answer to all my questions: "Nothing is considered a wrongdoing until it brings upon bad influence to our surroundings"

In today's context, even Christians indulge in drinking, puffing and all the other activities that are not thought of to be acted by Saints. Why we usually see believers in Christ (Christians, Methodist, Roman Catholics etc...) as behaved beings is because of that. I believe we shouldn't be too strict on ourselves, just know your surroundings (people, situation, circumstance etc.) well and react to them accordingly.

On a side note, I think it is important that we share with our fellow non-Christian friends about the gospel but we shouldn't force them to receive Christ or bug them till they oblige. Christ gave us a choice of whether we want to be his children or not, we should give others the right to choose as well.

I hope I didn't write off topic but to answer the question, I don't mind any religion for that matter.
    Oh and by the way, my SO is a free-thinker, his parents are strong believers in Taoism and Buddhism. I am a believer in Christ who don't believe in going to church.

Best Regards / Kelly
    Last edited by Fluffs; 05-04-2006, 02:58 PM.

Leave a comment:

• GG
    replied
    Originally posted by D3stiny
    How to say no, thank you? They're friends and the friendships put me on the spot.:
    I think you just said it!! Friends should respect one another in that aspect too....
    I know a married couple who each has their own religion. They've raised the family is a very unique way in this aspect. All the sons follow the dad's religion while the gals follow the mum. :wow:

Originally posted by D3stiny
    My point is that, so long as people don't try to force their religions, directly or indirectly, on me, I'm fine. .:
    hahha... so long you're not at gunpoint, I don't think you're being forced. You just need to learn to reject them... politely.
    Last edited by GG; 04-04-2006, 09:55 PM.

Leave a comment:

• poochi
    replied
    You're right that it's fundamental to Christian belief (that there is only one way to heaven), but only two Christian friends differed and told me it wasn't crucial for "entry to heaven" - they are indeed few and far between.

I suppose they have their reasons for saying that- I must ask them sometime.
    Last edited by poochi; 04-04-2006, 09:45 PM. Reason: grammar mistakes

Leave a comment:

• stilangel
    replied
    Christianity believes that there's only one way to heaven and that's through Jesus Christ and this is quite heavily emphasized so I'm surprised your Christian friends told you that it doesn't matter.

But then again, Christianity is actually sort of divided into many different groups e.g. Methodists, Protestants, Lutherans etc. And one thing that is commonly confused with Christianity is Catholicism. They're actually quite different because the Catholics place importance on Mother Mary whereas with Christians, it's Jesus.

Leave a comment:

• poochi
    replied
    Originally posted by snowrunner
    ...There are many ways to heaven."[
    snowrunner, it's quite interesting that you brought this up : just a few weeks ago I asked a few Christian friends whether a person can go to heaven via other routes and not solely by being Christian. A few said that Jesus stated clearly in the New Testament that it is only through Jesus that a person can be saved, for Jesus himself stated in the New Testament, "I am the truth, the way and the life. No one comes to Father but by me." Then again, I've had a couple of Christian friends give me different answers. One or two told me that it doesn't matter (but they didn't elaborate because it was a short conversation).

(Buddhism differs to a large extent, but that is another story for another day)
    Last edited by poochi; 04-04-2006, 04:46 PM.

Leave a comment:

• snowrunner
    replied
    Originally posted by miaka05

i came from a buddhist family but somehow i just cannot seem to connect with it and I seek to explore for a religion for myself. i personally felt this should be the way.....
    I think there's a traditional Chinese saying: "When you point at the moon, only a fool looks at the finger. There are many ways to heaven."

Leave a comment:

• miaka05
    replied
    i'm a catholic and to me, religion is something very personal. i do not believe in forcing someone to have the same religion as me just because I believe in it, even my husband is a free-thinker. religion has to be something *** u personally believe in and felt comfortable with having.

i came from a buddhist family but somehow i just cannot seem to connect with it and I seek to explore for a religion for myself. i personally felt this should be the way.....

Leave a comment:

• D3stiny
    replied
    I'm a Muslim and my best friend's a Catholic

I'd say when making friends, religion doesn't matter but I get really uncomfortable when my friends pass me material to read from their institutions and books to read (which include direct references to verses from the Bible)... How to say no, thank you? They're friends and the friendships put me on the spot.

My point is that, so long as people don't try to force their religions, directly or indirectly, on me, I'm fine.

To each his own.

Leave a comment:

• go66ess
    replied
    By the way snow runner, can u remember what article was it that you read? I came across something similiar and would like to take a look at it again. I have a keen interest in this subject... and perhaps it could help explains why some elderly would look upon mother mary as 'guan yin' and how catholism appeals to buddhists, taoist, hindus as well...

Leave a comment:

• go66ess
    replied
    To me.. religion doesn't matter. I'm an aetheist. After years of being in a methodist school, then an anglican.. and having been to several christian churchs... i have come to conclude that it is your own faith that is important. I believe in God.. but not necessarily the churches ( christians.. dont slam me for this) .

The bible is the same... why do different dominations of christians believe in different things? Why do pastors preach different sermons? At the end of the day... i think it all boils down to personal interpretations.. and hence these personal interpretations should not be forced upon everyone else.

I have been to churches who break up couples just because they're still schooling. I disagree because you can never forbid people to love regardless of how young they are.. but educate them about responsibility about commiting to someone of the opposite sex.

I pick up books at kino titled ' Satan's devils' and it lists down basically all gods of other religion. My grandmother is buddhist, she worships ancestors and idols at home and i love her dearly. How can someone just slap the term 'Satan's devils' on her very beliefs?

I have heard of christians who 'condemn' their grandparents for worshipping 'pieces of wood'.
    Or some who would offer tens of thousands to their fellow members in the church for a larvish wedding but threaten to send their own mother to old age homes when she asked for $400 to spend for chinese new year.(which her religion doesn't believe in)

Yes.. i know that there are black sheeps from every religion... just that those who try so hard to change people into their beliefs should look inwards before looking outwards. Nonetheless, religion is a good thing. SO is catholic and i like it that his family have strong spiritual roots. His mother wants a church wedding when we get married and im perfectly happy to do so because they don't force me to be a catholic. If we do have kids.. i would surely baptist him, let him go to church and be an alter boy like his dad.... but if 20 years down the road, he decides he wants to believe in something else.... then go ahead.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X