X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pommiepommie
    replied
    Originally posted by kittysandy View Post
    I have always been a free thinker, and the only brush i have with religion is when i was studying overseas, and i was admitted to a christian school. BUt after 3 years, i was posted out to other schools. Thereafter, i have not really thought about religion until now. I suppose it's important for a person to have a faith... It's something to fall back on, and it gives you strength when in need. I may be wrong to think of it in this way, but currently, that's what's going on in my mind. Yes, i will be reading more books about the different religion, and i will take my time to choose a faith that i am comfortable in.
    Many thanks to all you cotters who have provided me with your thoughts and comments
    You are not wrong to think of it in such ways. I actually like their way of preaching in the Bible, I will take the good ones in the Bible and remember it, just that at times I cannot agree with their way of worshipping, just like how I cannot agree with my own religion's way of using Bazi, Sheng Xiao to determine one's fate & destiny.

Most of my friends are either Christians or Catholic, and they are really really nice people, if there is no such thing as tithing, everything is God given to the heavenly sons & daughter, raising of 2 hands to worship God & preaching from some bad pastors that bashed other religions - this is very wrong, guiding followers the wrong way, I think I might have already become a Christian or Catholic.
    Last edited by pommiepommie; 17-01-2013, 01:51 PM.

Leave a comment:

• kittysandy
    replied
    Originally posted by snowrunner
    I agree with Pretty Panda. Why do you feel the urge to join a religion?

I'm asking because I've seen a lot of young people who convert because they want to "belong" to a social group - they're not even very knowledgable about the faith, they just want to do it because many of their friends are doing it.

Take your time, and look up all the religions. And ask yourself why you feel the need to join any one faith.
    I have always been a free thinker, and the only brush i have with religion is when i was studying overseas, and i was admitted to a christian school. BUt after 3 years, i was posted out to other schools. Thereafter, i have not really thought about religion until now. I suppose it's important for a person to have a faith... It's something to fall back on, and it gives you strength when in need. I may be wrong to think of it in this way, but currently, that's what's going on in my mind. Yes, i will be reading more books about the different religion, and i will take my time to choose a faith that i am comfortable in.
    Many thanks to all you cotters who have provided me with your thoughts and comments

Leave a comment:

• whitefrost
    replied
    i guess what it means to have an in dept understanding of what the message is trying to convey..
    instead of just taking everything at face value..
    this method helps you in having a greater understanding of your religion as well as other religions..
    and you begin to know why things are done in such a manner rather than "oh they say do this way so i do this way l.or"...
    my

Leave a comment:

• fornight
    replied
    Originally posted by alba
    My teacher taught me to always question and experience religion instead of taking it blindly.
    That suits and works very well for me.
    can you question the religion? I thought in Christianity, you can only believe in God's words.

Leave a comment:

• poochi
    replied
    kittysandy, there's great advice on this thread!

Perhaps I should share a little bit. I wasn't actively looking for a religion 3 years ago when I became Buddhist. It has given me a lot of spiritual solace these couple of years.

Prior to that I read up on other religions as well. Surprisingly, the library is actually a very good start for finding out more about a religion. There are many Christian scholars who have written many good books. I'm sure the cotters here have good recommendations! Some of my friends like CS Lewis.

Churches (like temples) also give out free literature which will introduce you to their faith.

Hope this helps!

Leave a comment:

• makeupmag
    replied
    Could I just add - Catholics are Christians because they believe in Christ. I think you mean 'Protestants or Catholics'?

Leave a comment:

• snowrunner
    replied
    I agree with Pretty Panda. Why do you feel the urge to join a religion?

I'm asking because I've seen a lot of young people who convert because they want to "belong" to a social group - they're not even very knowledgable about the faith, they just want to do it because many of their friends are doing it.

Take your time, and look up all the religions. And ask yourself why you feel the need to join any one faith.

Leave a comment:

• PrettyPanda
    replied
    Originally posted by kittysandy
    I am currently a free thinker but I would love to go into a new faith.
    Firstly you have to ask youself why you want to adopt a religion now. Are currently having problems? IMO the decision to have a religion should not come out of the blue, it's not an issue to be taken lightly.

None of us here can tell you which one should you choose. Seems to me that you are not yet familiar with either (and other religions if you are considering them too). Try to join their youth club, take an intro class (if available), or talk to their priests/pastors. If you have trusted friends in each religion (the ones that won't hardsell to you), ask them to bring you to join the mass. Then follow your heart.

Leave a comment:

• kittysandy
    replied
    Thank you all you cotters for your advise and recommendations. Do feel free to provide me with more information... Many many thanks

Leave a comment:

• Glossie
    replied
    I had no idea. Pardon my ignorance.

Leave a comment:

• snowrunner
    replied
    Originally posted by Glossie
    I was shown this link when I expressed curiosity about Catholicism around Mel Gibson's Passion of the Christ. Everything will seem new since you're not already a Catholic but I suppose you get an idea of what the faith's about:

http://www.americancatholic.org/News.../CU/ac0704.asp

Passion of the Christ is a terrible way to introduce anyone to the faith -it's propaganda, and is anti-semitic to boot.. Mel Gibson is also a pre-Vatican II Catholic, which means that he belongs to the segment of the Christian faith that believes the Jews should be blamed for the death of Christ.

Leave a comment:

• kittysandy
    replied
    Glossie Dear,
    Many thanks to the recommendation of the website. I will go look into the website. I'm sure it would be very informative.
    By the way, cathoics have extra books that they look into other then the bibile... what are the extra books??? Can you tell me?

Leave a comment:

• Glossie
    replied
    I was shown this link when I expressed curiosity about Catholicism around Mel Gibson's Passion of the Christ. Everything will seem new since you're not already a Catholic but I suppose you get an idea of what the faith's about:

http://www.americancatholic.org/News.../CU/ac0704.asp

Leave a comment:

• alba
    replied
    Thanks Alba, do you attend church?
    Hi kittysandy,

I don't attend church. I did my fair share of shopping around afew religions before committing to one.

My teacher taught me to always question and experience religion instead of taking it blindly.
    That suits and works very well for me.

Just take your time.

Leave a comment:

• snowrunner
    replied
    Dear Cotters,
    I am currently really confuse and do not know what to do.. I am currently a free thinker but I would love to go into a new faith.... I have been exposed to Christianity many many many years back, but at this point in time, i do not know which religon to choose and what is the difference between the two?
    I would also like to know where are the churches that I can attend? I would appreciate if you cotters could recommend churches in the thomson area.
    Your advise and recommendation is greatly appreciated
    Sweetie, I think you'd better go hit the books more. Faith should be accompanied by understanding - if you don't understand it, then you shouldn't take it. Asking around on a fashion forum isn't enough.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X