ACCA or NTU Accountancy /NTU?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ACCA or NTU Accountancy /NTU?

hi gals, I am studying at NTU Comp Sci. This is my first yr. I dun intend to carry on in IT line after I grad. Should I take part time ACCA and continue my comp sci course or change course to NTU Accountancy? Thanks u

I reckon you really got to ask yourself what you want to achieve in future. Would you like to go into accountancy after graduating? Is the interest really there and etc? I suggest that you speak to your respective lecturers for advices and find out more on NTU Accountancy course. ACCA is a professional course and it's actually on par with a degree. FTC is currently offering the Oxford Brookes Degree program for the ACCA course. Which also meaning you are able to get a degree through that program. Best of luck babe!

Comment

based on experience..
      some employers prefer degree to professional qualification..
      in fact the ones i know do not employ any ACCA holders at all..
      and those i know will give ACCA holders a lower rank and the degree holders..
      my
      *hope i dont offend any ACCA holders*

Comment

I've been wanting to know to. I always heard that ACCA is on par with accountancy degree, or even higher...Anyone with similar experiences like whitefrost described? being acca not recognised or accepted? It is a reputable professional certification, then why is this happening

But to be called an accountant, you'll need to get acca certification. From what i know, degree holders only hold the rank as accounts executive. in addition, they must obtain ACCA before they can really be an accountant/Financial controller or manager, in order to legally sign and authorize financial statements and/or invoices etc etc bla bla bla

Comment

Maybe it's some government agencies?
          I know most government sector prefer to employ local graduates.

I think most degree holders need to obtain CPA title from ICPAS before they can be a certified accountant.

Please correct me if I am wrong.
          Last edited by jolene1981; 04-05-2006, 05:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by cUp
            But to be called an accountant, you'll need to get acca certification. From what i know, degree holders only hold the rank as accounts executive. in addition, they must obtain ACCA before they can really be an accountant/Financial controller or manager, in order to legally sign and authorize financial statements and/or invoices etc etc bla bla bla
            degree holders only need to sit for a five day course which acca holders have to go through also.. dont need to take acca....
            after completing the course, they can either apply for provisional membership (for less than 3 years experience) or apply to be a full fledge CPA with ICPAS...
            with a CPA you can set up your own accounting firm to audit companies, etc,...
            not necesary must be with ICPAS..
            can be with overseas well known institutions like CPA US office, ICAEW ( Institute of chartered accountants england and wales) or ICAA (institute of chartered accountants australia)....etc

to sign and authorise financial statements and invoices etc etc etc..
            depends on the policy of the company..
            meaning its up to management to determine which staff has the authority to do what...

and the CFA that jolene is talking about is totally different with different membership and different exams to take..
            more suitable for people in the banking & finance industry....

and yeah,.. actually i was refering to one particular big 4 accounting firm...
            not government agencies.. not sure about them..

er.. am i making things clearer? or am i confusing ppl?

Comment

oh i see thanks!

Comment

i'm currently working in a big 4 accounting firm and taking my acca..from what i know acca 'graduates' are on par with any degree holders..no difference in ranks

Comment

Originally posted by extacy2508
                  i'm currently working in a big 4 accounting firm and taking my acca..from what i know acca 'graduates' are on par with any degree holders..no difference in ranks
                  hi,
                  those acca graduates in ur company. Do they have any outstanding results for their acca or their results are just normal? Are there many acca holders in your company as well?

Thank u for replying

Comment

One advantage for taking NTU accountancy is that you can definitely find a job, even before you graduate. This is because NTU has a joint-recruitment program with the big4 accounting firms and students will be offered jobs even before they complete the entire 3 yr course. Based on past rates, close to 90-95% of the students get selected into the big4. The minority are usually made up of the more ambitious students who prefer to find jobs in the banking or government sector. Another plus point is that in NTU, it's direct honours, of course, you must be within the top 30-40% of the cohort.

I'm currently a yr3 student in NTU acc. Hope this helps, whatever your decision. I wish u all the best!

Comment

anyone undertaking/taken ACCA??

any of you who have taken acca or are still in the mid of taking acca, please share with me. i am going to take up acca this july. just wanted to know more and prepare myself before the lesson starts.
                      i am intending to take up 1.1 and 1.2 at the same time. but i do not know how taxing one unit can be. so really need ur experience and advice.

anything regarding acca.

where you study the course
                      how much you paod for it
                      how many lessons u took at a time since lesson for one unit is once a week
                      is your class environment conducsive
                      since you can retake wen you fail the exam, will it reflect on the cert or record on how many times u took the paper?

thanks a million if u have anythign regardin acca to share with me.

Comment

Hi, I just see your post and I strongly recommend you continue your comp science degree as well as taking ACCA for part time. Since you are only year one student, you definitely can finish 14 papers before you graduate. Honor degree holder in computer science with accounting/finance background, you will have more choice by the time you graduate.

I am currently a third year comp science student in NUS and I started ACCA half an year ago. Still got 11 more papers to go(hope can clear another four in the coming June). As long as you don't waste time, it won't be too hard. I really regret not taking ACCA earlier since I had much more spare time in my first and second year...

Comment

Ntu Or Acca

I got admitted in NTU civil engineering but i don't like engineer so i'm thinking of acca.But i heard ACCA is a difficult course to complete.So any advise??

Comment

gee.. if you dont like the course..
                            how did u end up applying for it..

ACCA is definitely not an easy one..
                            from what i hear, its kinda tough to pass the modules..
                            but then, ntu civil engine is not an easy course either..
                            and its worst if you have no interest cause you wont put in effort in studying for the module..
                            so its gonna be a 4 year torture for you..
                            my advise.. go for the ACCA one..

Comment

Originally posted by whitefrost
                              gee.. if you dont like the course..
                              how did u end up applying for it..

ACCA is definitely not an easy one..
                              from what i hear, its kinda tough to pass the modules..
                              but then, ntu civil engine is not an easy course either..
                              and its worst if you have no interest cause you wont put in effort in studying for the module..
                              so its gonna be a 4 year torture for you..
                              my advise.. go for the ACCA one..
                              lol,i applied for it cos its the easier course to get in and my a lvl result wasn't that desirable

Acca i was wondering whether i should be doing full time or part time studying

Comment

Working...
                              X