Enema before giving birth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Enema before giving birth

I heard from my colleagues that the nurse will insert enema into our anus to make us pass motion before delivery. Did all of u gone through this procedure? I think that this is quite scary and painful. I am three months pregnant and there seems to be a lot of check-ups.

Hi Cindy,
    Which hospital are you delivering ? They don't do enema in SGH and KKH.

Comment

In fact you can request not to have a enema. They once believe that making us pass motion beforehand so that we would not pass motion when pushing the baby out it's now debunked because in fact when straining you might still poo poo even if you had enema.

Also a it's fact when you are in labour you tend to want to poo first.

but it's still part of procedure. Just have it in your birth plan that you do not want it or inform the nurses before hand.

Comment

Hmmm...when I was in labour, I had the strongest urge to poo but after visiting the toilet for thre times, I still wasn't able to poo. At that time I really panicked because I was worried that I would pass motion while pushing. I requested for an enema but the nurse couldn't give it to me because my gynae hadn't prescribed one for me. He was still outstation at that time so no one could write a prescription for me. I was in agony! I kept going to the toilet and finally I passed motion. I was so relieved!

So maybe when the time comes for you, you might want to have an enema if you experience the same thing I did.

Comment

I will be delivering at Mt. Alvernia. Two of my colleagues delivered there and they said the nurses gave them enema. I am actually gross out by this. Is it a terrible experience?

Comment

Compared to giving birth? Nah Trust me, it'd be a welcoming relief to be able to poo while you're in terrible labour pain

Comment

Last edited by Medusa; 14-11-2008, 11:22 PM. Reason: ....................

Comment

Actually for both my pregnancies, I kept going to the toilet to pass motion just before my labour started. That cleared out every thing, so nothing "unwanted" come out when I deliver

You should be able to tell the nurse you don't want to have enema.

Comment

i delivered at Mount Alvernia. i told her i poo twice during the day and she said it should be enough & hence i got to skip it. basically, pushing the baby out is like you are in constipation & trying to push your poo out .. so it is common for mothers to push their poo out at the same time and it can be quite embarassing.

anyway, nothing is gross-ier than the actual delivery pain. no epidural for me and it was hell broken loose. hahaha ..

Comment

I had an enema, too... Nobody asked me for my opinion, the nurse just administered it to me. So have thought that was the norm all along! Anyway, I didn't find it painful nor scary at all. In fact, I quite like the thought of being "clear" inside as some aunties had told me before that the poo might come out while pushing during delivery!

The tough part is being told to "hold it in as long as possible, so that the results will be better"!!!! I guess I didn't do too well in that aspect as a little poo did come out even after I had been to the toilet, because the nurse came to clean me up (I had epidural so no feeling at all whatsoever-thought was passing gas or something) But for the actual delivery, only the baby came out. Whew....

Don't worry too much about it, Cindy. Trust me, it will be the last thing on your mind when the time comes!

Comment

Enema is not painful at all, it just sounds gross but it's really nothing at all. I personally think if I were to deliver again, I would definitely have it again since I want my bowels to be clear. After delivering, it would be quite painful to poo so soon ... whether you had an episiotomy or a c-section.

Comment

Originally posted by mogmick
                        Enema is not painful at all, it just sounds gross but it's really nothing at all. I personally think if I were to deliver again, I would definitely have it again since I want my bowels to be clear. After delivering, it would be quite painful to poo so soon ... whether you had an episiotomy or a c-section.
                        does it hurt you to poo after delivery?
                        it was pretty ok for me .. maybe due to the painkillers i took.
                        i followed my friend's advise: monitor and ask for painkiller every 8 hours & i didnt feel any pain throughout my stay at the hospital

Comment

Re poo-ing, I dreaded going to the toilet after my delivery! But my doctor gave me some medicine to soften my stools, so it was ok...*big sigh of relief*

Comment

I delivered at TMC and the nurse there checked if I needed one. I had been to the loo many times that day, so told her I could skip it.

I'd suggest that you check your itemised bill at the end of your stay if you are doing something out of the norm, tho. I found that i had been charged for an enema, as well as some other things that I had opted out of. They readily made the changes, but I would otherwise have been overcharged by a couple of hundred $!

Comment

I did not have an Enema too. I delivered in KKH & the nurse checked if i needed one too right after i arrived at the delivery suite.

Comment

Working...
                              X