I'm feeling lost...still

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm feeling lost...still

i'm graduating next may and i'm feeling very lost...still!

i dont know what i want to do in future and i'm kind of scared of what's going to happen to me after graduation.

i'm doing real estate as my major.....is this a quarter-life crisis?

i think uncertainties are always inevitable in life...
    take things as they come, and hey quarter life crisis only occurs when you are working and working and errr dont know what you are seeking in life?

do a list of things of what you want to do, where u want to go and what you need to accomplish

cheer up, girlie!

Comment

So timely (eh, Viv?). The quarter-life crisis is very real although it may not hit everyone. I'm sure you're not alone, Elevn_Princess I happened to pick up a book at the library the other day:

Title: Who Cares What You're Supposed To Do?
      Breaking the Rules to Get What You Want in Love, Life and Work
      By Victoria C. Dickerson, Ph.D., with Carla Fine

The synopsis seemed to indicate it's more applicable to people in their 20s. I'd wanted a book on Philo but couldn't find any so I'd borrowed this instead

HTHs!

Comment

If you don't intend to go into real estate, perhaps can start doing something you like on a small scale e.g. you like writing, start freelancing. Test it out and ease yourself into a new environment.

Comment

it did hit me n made me do a switch in my career.

well, find out what u like n what u r good at n go for it. doesn't matter if it isn't estate!

must do what u like n give it a try once at least while u r still young!

Comment

i'm thinking of being an english teacher in japan...anyone's tried this?

Comment

elven_princess: yup, one of my friends was an English teacher in some ulu part of Japan for about a year. She found the job in one of the online websites.

Comment

y don't u ask urself whether u wanna go japn to teach becuase u like that place or because u thinkit's a nice idea.

'coz it may not be all that easy being alone n earning there.

u know jap is it?

n u love teaching?

if so, go there by all means!

n knowing what u wanna do doesn't coime easy for some. for some, it may take a lifetime so no worries yah? sit down n think hard.

Comment

This guy (http://www.yongfook.com/) used to/ is (I stopped reading his blog for some time) an English teacher in Japan under the JET program. You can enrol for JET in Singapore too. You probably won't be working in Tokyo, but it'll be an experience I'm sure. However, after the program (1 or 2 yrs?), your peers will be drawing a higher salary than you if you decide to return to SG for mainstream work. Are you ok with that?

I didn't attend any job fairs or talks in school, so when I started looking for jobs in May 2005, I felt quite disheartened and tired. It is a long tiring process of sending cover letters and resumes to different companies. You start being so selective, then slowly, just lower your expectations (unless you hit jackpot on your first few tries). For the record, I sent over 50 resumes from May to July and went for less than 5 interviews (with different companies).

I screwed up majorly at the company I really wanted to work for. It didn't matter that the pay was low, I knew I'd like the job. So perhaps you might want to start surfing sites on resume and interview skills. Remember to do your research even when drafting the cover letter.

I was lucky and managed to get a contract position (end July) and joined as a perm (Nov) in another company. The pay is a lot higher than the job I really wanted earlier, and the work is fun, challenging and I'm constantly learning. Before this, I didn't imagine myself in this line, but I'm glad it worked out this way

You can start by surfing around, looking at Recruit every Sat to see what jobs are out there, what skills they require, whether you will like working in such a job etc. This should be a good starting point.

If you're free, attend some networking sessions conducted by NUS (not just Sch of Bldg and RE. You can go to business, computing etc where offshore banks, local banks, oil companies etc have seminars). Drop off your resumes there, and you might just be called up for an interview. I remember feeling such regret that I didn't do that in my final year when I saw my friends who scored high paying jobs with offshore banks (Barclays!), all because they took the time to prepare and go for interviews while still at NUS.

Remember to plan for your post grad trip too

Comment

it would be good to be open to contract jobs which may just provide the opportunity or the 'experience required' for perm jobs in future

especially when our course of study is irrelevant with the job, to go straight into perm may be touch. contract also good in the sense that it provide us an opportunity to see how the job or industry is like; and be able to walk away in months without being seen as job-hopper in our cv

Comment

Yup, that's right. Since elven is in her final year, internships are out of the question. Internships are a great way to learn about the company/ industry and are one of the best things to talk about in interviews.

I started as a contractor, not really doing the mainstream work my company does. But I managed to get through the interviews with the support of my bosses. So, be open to contract jobs even if you aren't sure it will lead to a permanent opening. Work hard at what you do and do things well, and you will be rewarded

Comment

Same thing with me here, also into my final year in university, been wondering what I should go into as a career. There are lioke so many things to choose from and i know it must be something that I like, cos I would not want to go to work everyday just counting down to knocking off. Yet its so hard to choose a career that i would not ever get tired of haha... So contradicting.

Comment

u never know what u'll end up doing.

try things with an open mind.

Comment

Working...
                          X