Retroverted uterus/pelvic pain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Retroverted uterus/pelvic pain

I have suffered from bad period pains for years, but it seems they only got worse in the last year. In addition to lots of blood clots and terrible cramps, I also have painful bowel movements.

On the advice of cotters, I recently went for a checkup with a gynae. He said that my uterus is retroverted, that is it is tilting backwards. Normally, it should be tipping forwards towards your tummy. Apparently, this is a normal variation and it happens in 20% of women, and some without symptoms. But in others, they have painful periods and pain during or after intercourse, as the ovary is struck.

Does anyone else have this?

Recently, I've also had constant pelvic pain on my left lower abdomen and in my lower back. It gets worse when my stomach is full, and it feels like a muscle strain. But I've had this pain for over 2 weeks, and I also feel a twinge of pain and slight downward pressure around the lower vaginal area where it meets the top of the thigh. I seem to have started experiencing this after intercourse. My periods also seem heavier, with more cramping and blood clots.

I tried using medicated plasters on my left side but it made me feel nauseous so i stopped. I don't know what else i can do to alleviate it. I think i didn't make it clear enough that I was experiencing chronic pain, but the doc did a scan on my tummy (which is when he detected the retroversion) and did a Pap smear (which is normal) and pelvic exam, and said everything was normal. Does this mean i can rule out stuff like cysts and fibroids?

Think its advisable if you visit a gynae if the doctor whose attending to you is a gp. You sound more serious than just having a retroverted uterus. Get a transvirginal ultrasound scan.

Comment

Mine is the same case but my gyneo still do regular ultra scan for me to make sure it is not cysts and stuffs.

I suffered from very bad menses cramp (which is caused by the clots) and diarrhoea whenever my menses come too. I been taking pain killers since dont know when, think I will just be addicted to painkillers.

Comment

Originally posted by beckooky
        Think its advisable if you visit a gynae if the doctor whose attending to you is a gp. You sound more serious than just having a retroverted uterus. Get a transvirginal ultrasound scan.
        Do you mean a trans-vaginal ultrasound scan - and what is that anyway?

I did visit a gynae and he did a Pap Smear and some sort of scan on my tummy, along with a pelvic exam - aside from the retroversion, he said that everything was fine, and that he wouldn't recommend a laporascopy. I think i didn't make it clear enough that i had been having pain in my lower left abs for over 2 weeks.

Normally, the only pain i experience is during the first few days of my period, when i get the worse cramps, and when the rectal area becomes swollen and going to the toilet becomes torturously painful.

Could this abdominal pain be ovulation pain? I'm asking cos it started more than 2 weeks before my period and seems to have subsided with the end of my period. Does anyone know of this or has experienced this? I recently became sexually active, and it seems all this weird stuff starting happening afterwards.

Comment

Transvaginal ultrasound scan is done by putting a in a 'probe' via the vagina....Not recommended for the unmarried or virgins. I did two normal scans, like yours (1 ordered by my gp as I was having big clots during menses & its done in East Shore, another by my first gynae within a year), and both did not detect my cysts & fibriod. Its only when I did the transvaginal ultrasound scan by my 2nd gynae that my problems surface.

I seeked a 2nd option from the 2nd gynae as my clots got worst & I'm always bedridden for 1 or 2 days during menses (eh....this is really bad considering I'm teaching).
          Last edited by beckooky; 08-01-2006, 08:25 PM.

Comment

hmm that sounds scary, my intense painful period is just before the clots are released (usually around 3 hours).

my gyne also thinks there is no need for a Transvaginal ultrasound. Maybe I will bring it up with him the next time I go for my check. But i had menses cramp right from when my first menses came so I am resigned to it in a way.

Comment

Originally posted by beckooky
              Transvaginal ultrasound scan is done by putting a in a 'probe' via the vagina....Not recommended for the unmarried or virgins. I did two normal scans, like yours (1 ordered by my gp as I was having big clots during menses & its done in East Shore, another by my first gynae within a year), and both did not detect my cysts & fibriod. Its only when I did the transvaginal ultrasound scan by my 2nd gynae that my problems surface.

I seeked a 2nd option from the 2nd gynae as my clots got worst & I'm always bedridden for 1 or 2 days during menses (eh....this is really bad considering I'm teaching).
              Yikes that is scary. I too had resigned myself to suffering through the pain, but i thought I'd better get a check because of the weird pelvic pain. Also, the painful bowel movements during my periods only started within the last year, and the amount of clots has increased and it would seem, so has the intensity and duration of the cramps.

You mean I can just ask the gynae if I can have the trans-vaginal ultrasound? Usually they don't like to order extra tests unless it's necessary.

Comment

My gynae had the machine, that's why she was able to do it when I requested for it. I understand for gynaes in KK, it's quite troublesome as you have to go to a seperate testing room to get it done (according to a friend whose gynae is from KK).

Comment

Well i just saw another gynae who did an ultrasound scan and she said it's all clear except for a small 2 cm cyst. She doubts that's the cause of the pain so i guess i'm back to square one. If it's not a gynaelogical thing, then it's just abdominal then. But I don't know what it could be, so I guess I'll just wait and see.

Comment

Anyone who has retroverted uterus and is/was preggy? I also have retroverted uterus which I jus gotta know 2day after a visit to the gynae...I'm worried bout it affecting my fertility...

Comment

hey im preggie now and just discovered i have a retroverted uterus too...never thought anything of menstrual cramps...no worried about the baby

Comment

When I went for my check up at the end of last year, my gynae told me my uterus is tilting backwards too. My symptons aren't that bad, but he did mention that it may be difficult for me to get pregnant, so he advised me to start trying to conceive earlier.

Comment

I'm 27 when I found out that I had a "hard object" around my right abdoment right beside my c-section stitch which I gave birth 5yrs ago.

I was so scared and went to the gp the next morning and was referred to Mount. A hospital for a pap smear and a trans-virginal test. The report was ready in about 1hr time.

The report state about things like 'Fibroids', 'Muscle'..... (had read reports about Fibroids- mainly harmless even if it grow up to a 5mths fetoes size)

Option : Had an operation to take it out. (BUT it will probably come back again unless reach menopause)

Now I'm 28 and my problem is when everytime my period came, my tummy will become very bloated and that "hard object" will become very solid and swollen. The pain will last about 7-10days. I feel like pregnant during my period, when I'm standing up I really got to hold and slightly press my tummy to ease the pain. And I cant wear heels and or stand on my feet for too long as "that" muscle will feel very tense...

So I was like resigned to it but I'm still lucky as I only experience 8 periods in 12 months..

Comment

i got retroverted womb and i got preggie before. my daughter is now 4 yrs old.
                            i rem a gynae i visited before termed it as lazy womb.
                            my gynae didn't mention that it will be hard to get preggie.
                            i conceived 5 mths after trying though.

Comment

i also have retroverted uterus, just visited my gynae two months back for check-up. Doc mentioned that retroverted uterus will not affect fertility, so getting pregnant shouldnt be a problem. i am not sure if it is because of condition that i tend to have serious lower back pain whenever i have my menses. anyone here is experiencing it as well?

Comment

Working...
                              X