Teats problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Teats problem

I feed my 4th weeks plus newborn with pigeon bottles. At first she is such a sucker that she will get choked easily. So we tighten the cap or use a stopper to reduce the flow of milk. And now I find that she is so used to the suction. So when I change to avent bottles, she is not used to the flow of milk, most of the milk flow out of the mouth. How can I correct her? Is it the problem of new teats? I am using No. 2 Avent teats for 1mth+.

Bomy, try using number one for Avent teat. I have both number one and two and when my DS used number two (we thought number one is too slow for him initally as he took a long time to finish his milk), the milk kept flowing out too. We think it's too 'fast' for him. So we switched back to number one and he's doing fine. Just that he's a slow drinker (likes to sleep at the same time).

Comment

bomy, my gut feel is that she is not used to the avent teats.

That was what happened to my daughter too. If you take a look at the teats carefully, the avent ones are shorter at the "sucking area" as compared to the normal slim teats (avent ones are fatter cos the bottle is fat right?). So for my daughter, she got so used to sucking the normal slim ones during the initial hospital stay that she has problem sucking the avent ones when she got home. She could not get any milk out of the avent teats no matter how hard she sucked. Eventually on day 2 we switched all 12 brand new avent ones to the normal pigeon bottles.

Avent's flow should be slower than pigeon ones. You should try for another short period of time and if by then your baby is still not used to avent, why not just stick to the pigeon ones since your baby is happier with that?

Comment

Queenie,
        I changed No. 1 teat for her now. The flow is slower and at least not much milk outflow. Gezann also will fall asleep after barely finishing half, and she will refuse the milk after she spit out the teat. She just refuse even though I stick the bottle to her until the milk is too cold to continue. Then before 3 hours schedule, she will start to scream for milk again.

Littlelambie,
        I shall try for a short period and if she still doesn't like, then I will stick with Pigeons.

Comment

Bomy, I think it'll take Gezann a while for her to get used to the Avert teat. Just keep it going. I understand what you mean by refusing the milk and falling asleep. I usually 'try' to keep him awake. For example, turn/shake the bottle, stroking his chin etc. And all these take at least 45 mins to an hour. By then the milk is already cold. But I really can't bear to throw the BM away. I read that the milk is good for an hour or so.

Comment

Before I delivered baby, I bought all Avent bottles and teats. In the 1st few months, Cae was bottlefed on EBM very little and she took the Avent teats fine. Then as she got bigger, she started rejecting bottles and I had to try all different teats.

Nuk finally did the job and she never went back to Avent teats, which meant all my Avent bottles and teats are useless *sigh*. I did try occasionally to switch her back to Avent teats, but as soon as she sucked once, she just let go and refused to drink further. Had to switch back to Nuk.

Comment

When is the time we have to change to a faster flow teat? Is it when baby keeps on crying when feeding or takes very long to finish milk. Am I right?

Comment

Originally posted by mogmick
                Before I delivered baby, I bought all Avent bottles and teats. In the 1st few months, Cae was bottlefed on EBM very little and she took the Avent teats fine. Then as she got bigger, she started rejecting bottles and I had to try all different teats.

Nuk finally did the job and she never went back to Avent teats, which meant all my Avent bottles and teats are useless *sigh*. I did try occasionally to switch her back to Avent teats, but as soon as she sucked once, she just let go and refused to drink further. Had to switch back to Nuk.
                Hey, my son has the exact same problem!!! He just refuse using AVENT..but perfectly fine with NUK. But I don't really like NUK cos' of the little hole on top of the teats...some time milk leaked out from there. eg. if my boy hold the the wrong way...sigh...

But I got the entire brand new set of AVENT bottles....so decided to keep them if I have another child.

So when I'm finally have my 2nd child. My girl takes AVENT easily..no fuss!!!
                So I think is the problem lies on the baby.

Comment

Last edited by Medusa; 14-11-2008, 11:15 PM. Reason: ..................

Comment

I find that NUK is good. Initially I bought Avent for my son.He always takes a long time to finish his milk. I thought maybe because newborn tends to sleep alot.But, it was like this for a number of weeks.After i switched to NUK,he was able to drink faster. I find that the Avent teat is quite hard. If baby has difficulty drinking or gets frustrated when drinking milk...I think can try to switch to another brand

Just my

Comment

My DS has been crying and crying recently during feeding. (He's 8 weeks old and we're using Avent and Dr Brown number one.) Initally I thought that the teats are getting 'too slow' for him so I changed to Avent number 2 and he's still fussing. Should I try NUK too? Or could it be due to other reason?

Comment

Originally posted by mogmick

Thats exactly what i went through!!!!!!! but i must mention that i recently went to tangs and saw that NUK has big teats which seem to be able to fit avent........you might want to take a look...hopefully baby no 2 (when he/she comes along) will be able to take Avent ones....or else a total waste of my $$$

Comment

Nuk has big teats? Is this new? I've not seen it before. Let me know if you manage to fit them in

Comment

its their premium range. they have premium bottles too!

Comment

I change to Avent bottles 3 weeks ago and my bb has been drinking well. But recently she seems very fussy, moving her hands and legs so vigorously. (She even sweep her hands so hard that I dropped the bottle a few times.) Will babies get fussy over new teats and bottles again after 3 weeks?

Comment

Working...
                              X