HOw you feed medicine??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HOw you feed medicine??

Wondering how mommies feed medicine when your chlid is sick.Mine always spit out!! Im going crazy soon!!

Hi Sushi!

How old is your baby? I use a syringe to feed my baby meds and I always have to enlist somebody's help in holding the baby when I am feeding her the meds. She doesn't like them but at least she never spits them out.

Comment

Use the syringe.Usually the child will struggle.Hold yr child in a recline position then pump the med from the corner of his/her mouth.If u pump the med right to the throat ,yr child may choke if she/he is crying.

Just my

Comment

I use a syringe to feed my students in the childcare provided by the parent. Usually I i will tell them, i know it tasted yucky but they have to get well right? So have to take it, so that mummy won't be sad and we can dump the medicine aways soon.

it works everytime

Comment

We use syringe for our 2 kids when they are babies till now. Is easier less messy and fast!

Even my elder child who is now 4...who loves Syringe...probably boys loves gadget stuff.... he enjoy using the syringe and put in the medicine by himself and feeding himself, then he will slowly put in the water using the same syringe and drink the water from there!!!

Comment

I used syringe too BUT she can still spit it out

I read some guide that you should point the syringe into the cheek pouch so it's easier on the kid. Tried that BUT she still spits. However, it's easier to control when the medicine enters the cheek pouch as she can't spit it out immediately. So I learnt to prop her head upwards a little and try to clamp her mouth close (gently of course). Well, reduced the leakage, but not totally la.

Comment

Originally posted by mogmick
              I used syringe too BUT she can still spit it out

I read some guide that you should point the syringe into the cheek pouch so it's easier on the kid. Tried that BUT she still spits. However, it's easier to control when the medicine enters the cheek pouch as she can't spit it out immediately. So I learnt to prop her head upwards a little and try to clamp her mouth close (gently of course). Well, reduced the leakage, but not totally la.
              mogmick, my gal also like this! split out when i aim at center.....
              Then at the TMC hospital, i saw the nurse put inside at the left or right side of the cheek pouch and press the medicine in slowly. So far my gal swallow it without spitting out. And her head was proped up like lying down.

Comment

That's right... when my 2kids are younger, just aim the syringe into either left of right side of the cheek pouch. (Will put them on my lap, they are usually on recline position) Usually it does the trick. As the medicine is adminster into their mouth...I will try to distract them... talk to them..eg. "Wow...good girl...see.. medicine finish already..now can drink water already.

Comment

My boy is already 2 yrs. They only provide ** with spoon, how to aim the cheek poych using de spoon? y cant he swallow them like other kids does..

Comment

Originally posted by sUsHi
                    My boy is already 2 yrs. They only provide ** with spoon, how to aim the cheek poych using de spoon? y cant he swallow them like other kids does..
                    Hi sushi,

You can buy the syringe from the pharmacy.You can buy the 5ml or 10ml syringe.If yr child struggle,using the syringe will be easier cos it will not spill.MOst kids will cry or struggle when taking medicine.Of course try to talk nicely to yr child first. For my child,when the nanny ask him to take med,he won't cry or struggle.But, when I feed him the med,he will cover his mouth

Comment

My daughter absolutely LOVE to take medicine......much to my relief and dismay.

Maybe try putting medicines in the fridge? Sometimes kid's medicine tastes much better when it is cold, like drinking soft drinks to them, unless of cos if the medicine states that it can't be stored cold, otherwise most medicines are ok to store in fridge. I use the syringe too.

Comment

huh?? wahh good for you ***. mine put fridge also the same..mayb should try the freezer one of these days..tell them its ice cream!

Comment

i use the syringe. for most medicines my girls are ok, lauren just hates antibiotics and mucusolvent. so for those i mix them in chocolate ice cream to mask the taste. if i forcefully syringe it in, she'll cry and choke and vomit then all effort wasted.

Comment

Moo, check with you: What's your take on antibiotics? Will it be a viscious cycle where the child needs a stronger dose of antibiotics each time there is an infection?

What are the possibilities of allowing the child to develop her own natural antibodies without antibiotics? Read about how antibiotics kill both the good and bad bacteria, especially the good ones in the gut and how viruses mutate to attack the child in the future. Am I being paranoid?

Originally posted by Moo
                            i use the syringe. for most medicines my girls are ok, lauren just hates antibiotics and mucusolvent. so for those i mix them in chocolate ice cream to mask the taste. if i forcefully syringe it in, she'll cry and choke and vomit then all effort wasted.

Comment

Originally posted by Marge
                              Moo, check with you: What's your take on antibiotics? Will it be a viscious cycle where the child needs a stronger dose of antibiotics each time there is an infection?

What are the possibilities of allowing the child to develop her own natural antibodies without antibiotics? Read about how antibiotics kill both the good and bad bacteria, especially the good ones in the gut and how viruses mutate to attack the child in the future. Am I being paranoid?
                              Hi Marge, I do undestand how you feel.

Anyway, usually most doctors or PD don't prescribe antibiotics first for children and babies, unless the symptons didn't improve even after the prescribe medicine(s) are given. (it would be like more than 5 or 7 days. Still no improvement? then the doctors / PD will consider using either a stronger type of medicine or not will be the antibiotics.

Comment

Working...
                              X