Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much allowance you expect your So to give you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much allowance you expect your So to give you?

Hi hi, if you're getting marry and SO prefers you to be a housewife but he doesn't really mind you working part-time(like 2 days a week) or becoming a volunteer as long as there's something to occupy you. What would you chose? Haha...and now comes the most important question-How much allowance you're expecting him to give? Over here, we're talking about realistic amount. Single and housewives, please feel free to give comments? As this topic might be abit sensitive, you may also give a range if you like.

Between 1k - 1.5k per month

Comment

I would prefer to continue working after marriage...or work part time ..at least I can earn some money for my own shopping expenses...Regarding how much i would like my future husband to give me...it depends on his income actually...maybe about $500+-$800+ a month(if im working).

Comment

I would suggest calculating how much a housekeeper/nanny/personal shopper would get, and demand it asyour salary.

Comment

i dont wanna work (i just wanna do nothing) and hubby allows (of cos he will prefer a dual income l-ar...imagine being a few thousand dollars behind our peers in terms of lifestyle level). at first, i told him i shall be very contented with S$250/month but for some years, his income almost equals to our essential expenses (household upkeep, food, car, insurance/investment, mba fees etc) so there was no extra leftover for my personal spending. i paid for my online shopping and rare dates with friends out of my savings and peanut earnings from auctions. now, with his last mba fees instalment paid and increase in salary, the S$250/month plan can resume. and so can our rainy day liquid savings plan...when this fund reaches 6months of his salary, perhaps i shall ask for more then.

i feel that how much pocket money one should get depends on how much the breadwinner earns (or rather how much is left after deducting all essential joint expenses n savings) and also who wanted the single income situation.

Comment

for me i think it should be a amount that is proportionate to his salary..
            cause if he earns 10K i only take 500 from him like don't give him face..

but after all said i still wish to work cause who knows what will happen.. and in the worst scenario.. divorce and whats not.. and also to ensure that i still have a say in the marriage.. cause the money giver is always more superior then money takers right.

Comment

Dear lovely cotters, thanks for all your replies!

BrownEyes- There's a very ideal amount to ask for!

Muddles- Agree that working some part tme will be good. It will be very sweet that we can use our own $ to buy gifts for our SO on special occassions like Christmas and Birthday.

Snowrunner- Haha...I'll became his nanny then!

Falo-You're such a good wife.

nalgene- Ok..then what kind of amount will be consider 'giving him face?'

Comment

It sounds like a terrible idea.

Work out a "salary".

Comment

personally, i like how happybean's handle their saving.
                  at least you won't see how much you get to satisfied yourself, but how to see as a whole, for a family.

Comment

Originally posted by superBum
                    Dear lovely cotters, thanks for all your replies!

BrownEyes- There's a very ideal amount to ask for!

Muddles- Agree that working some part tme will be good. It will be very sweet that we can use our own $ to buy gifts for our SO on special occassions like Christmas and Birthday.

Snowrunner- Haha...I'll became his nanny then!

Falo-You're such a good wife.

nalgene- Ok..then what kind of amount will be consider 'giving him face?'
                    erm.. maybe about 10-15% of his salary?

Comment

a coincidence maybe ... i am contemplating staying home to look after dh & our little prince .. and i am expecting him to take care of all household expenses & give me that $1K he now pays to care for our son. but that would also mean we cant have a car .. and i cant su-ka su-ka fly to HK or BKK to shop ..

but nalgene ... your reply sets me laughing here .. don give him face .. ha ha ha .. a good tickle especially when i am so down today .. thanks babe ..

Comment

u are welcome.. hope you are feeling better now..

Comment

I think that unless my SO/DH is really filthy rich, I wouldn't stop working, especially if there are no children because you won't really have financial security and also because you have to economize a lot. Perhaps a good compromise would be to switch to a job with fixed work hours and that doesn't require a lot of your time. What's the point of staying home just to clean when you could be earning your own money?

With regards to allowance, are you talking about for household expenses or a personal one? For household I guess it would vary depending on your lifestyle but for personal, anything from $500 and above would be reasonable IMO. Of course, this should be adjusted according to how much he earns.

Comment

The point is this - your allowance should be calculated based on what you would be earning if you were working.

Why? Because you've actually *given* up a lot of money by NOT working, because the both of you want it this way. THAT'S why.

Allowance? Dip into your savings? Hon, you're not working full time - your husband is in effect your employer. You don't have much of savings - your savings are NOT going to increase over time. All I can say this - you'd better hope that he wants to stay married to you for ever and ever. If he ever wants to leave - good luck, because not only will you have much lower savings than him, you'll also find it hard to get a job because you've been out of the job market for too long.

I'm basing this on actual cases that I know. Most of the "stay at home" wives aren't "stay at home" - they just *work* from home.

But whatever suits you. I hope it works out.

Comment

Aiyah as long as everybody is happy and contented with their own family arrangement then that's good enough. I started this thread as to understand how much people are asking for their allowances and how do they handle it.
                              As for my case, SO started an account of 2k and everynow and then when the card is left with $500+, I will tell my SO to top it up, ranging from 1k to 1.8k. This Nets card is used for shopping, hair salon trips or whenever I needed cash when he's not around with me. I have to admit that I can't spent lavishly like the last time and have to scale down a few things like going to a budget salon like Hair Inn or Jean Yip, no more Prada as he's strongly aganist it...I feel really sad that I have to wash some of my Prada bags to keep them in good condition as I knew that I might not have to chance to own one again. It would be unfair for me to say my SO is not treating me well. Life's still good and I get to enjoy fine food very often as my SO believe in spending on food, his M3 and his Hifi. I have this lifestyle for two years and we're also getting marry soon and I'm asking myself is this all I'm asking for? After mariage, should I ask for 'other' alowances so that I could save some $ into my personal account. Of course here, we're talking about honesty( SO and I), no lies.
                              Really appreciate for all the replies posted here. Hope there will be more coming in.

Comment

Working...
                              X