Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you have a dog that live beyond 13 years old?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you have a dog that live beyond 13 years old?

During the Chinese New Year, SO's friends came over to his place and we started to talk about dogs. I was truely amazed to learn that one of his friend's dog lived till 16 years old. 16 years old! Amazing, could even take an 'O' level exams!Unfortunately, the dog died last year. I heard that the dog was in a very bad condition( limping and skin was mouldly and bald) and they even joked that if we were to see it on the road, we might even call the SPCA for help.
    The person was not around that day as I heard that he is in the States but still would like very much to know what kind of idiet he gave his dog. Do you have a dog that's live beyond 13 years old? Care to share what kind of food you give your dogs? Some people believe that dog food is not good so they actually feed the dogs with human food( boil rice with veg and meat). What do you think?
    Welcome any replys. My two dogs( cavalier king charles spaniel & minature pinscher, both age 9) and I will be grateful to you!

yes, my darling lived till 15 yrs old, was devasted when he passed on in 2003. we fed him a combination of unpolished rice + carrots + spinach + meat dust and alternated it with dried food. he ate twice a day. we also gave him multivits and calcium. he wasn't of any breed, just a mongrel adopted from spca (his mother gave birth to him there). he passed away from old age, his digestive tract just gave up on him.

Comment

Mine lived till about 17 years old. My grandma just feed him anything she cooks so no proper diet was given. I am praying very hard that my current dog will outlive the last one.

Comment

Moo, I can truely understand your loss. I'm also very attached to my dogs especially my cavalier, Chester. Though I have sensitive nose,I will still hug and sleep with her whenever I'm at home and is usually when my nose get really very bad then I have no choice but to get her out of my room. It has come to a point that I'm so used to her smell and snoring that I sleep easily if she's with me and I hope she can live as long as she can.
        All my life, I feed my dogs with dry dog food( science idiet) and mix them with some boil meat( chicken or pork). They eat twice a day too. BTW, what is meat dust? Do you get the unpolished rice from those organic shops? How do you cook the unpolished rice, soak for 3-4 hours and then put in the rice cooker? Do you prepare the food fresh everyday? Can we keep the leftover in the fridge and heat it up again for the next meal(even the next day)?

Comment

Snowny, this is so unbelievable! You got to share with us some tips ok? Your grandma feeds the dog any food she cooks right? Means the food contains oil, salt or even sugar? Do you feed your dog once or twice a day? Any supplements to go along with?
          Seems like I'm begining to believe that feeding dogs with our food is actually better than their dog food. Maybe dog food is highly processed?!
          I will pray for your dog also...
          Last edited by superBum; 02-02-2006, 05:25 PM.

Comment

Yup, anything that we have that day. She feeds him 2 times a day and as and when some snacks ( when she snacks ).

I don't know but when Lucky gets old,he got serious skin problem. That is when I step in and only feed him fish and pork. Chicken is a no no for skin problem.

Comment

I have started to feed my dogs with brown rice, broccoli,carrot and some meat. They simply love it or could be that they're just greedy!

Comment

My first dog was a Welsh Corgi. He lived for 18 years. And till the last 6 months he was perfectly healthy. I grew up with him.

Comment

I had three dogs (Japanese splits - spelling?) They are family, father (L), mother (T) and son (B). L and T came into my family in 1989 when they were around 2 years old then. B was borned between 94 or 95. L became very sick in 2000 due to constant fightings with B and was eventually put to sleep. T was put to sleep in around 2004 and B was put up for adoption in the same year. If I'm not wrong, L was 13/14 when he 'sleep', T was 17/18 and B should be 12 or 13now.

BTW, we feed our dogs with cook meat (those meat found in our soup) once or twice a day, no veggie though. They refused to eat dried foods as we have spoilt them thoroughly. Sometimes we gave them tibits like chocolate and ice-cream.

Comment

I was given a pomernarian for my 1st birthday... granted that i didn't take care of him even if it's mine cause I was too young. It died when I turned 18. My grandma took it for a bath and dropped her cause it was slippery... she died on contact with the ground because she was too old to withstand that fall... my whole family cried buckets...She would have lived longer if not for that fall... my grandma felt so guilty... but it really was just an accident so no one blamed her...

Comment

My SO's first doggie died when he was 18yrs old too.

Comment

i had a couple of japanese spitz who lived beyond 13 years as well
                        and my current few dogs are nearing 10 :D
                        i guess it's because my dogs are really greedy and they eat anything that we give them. we give them dog food twice a day and if we have any tidbits(bones) or even chicken from boiling soup, we'll just give it to them.

Comment

I used to have a Silky Terrier that lived till 13.

Now i have a Sheltie 6 yrs old this yr.... I know I shouldnt be feeling this way but I thinking of getting a Mini poodle cos poodles dont shed. Shelties shed so much and mine has skin problems, always have dandruff or fur stuck to my clothes. argghhh but that is just wishful thinking I dont think I can bring myself to give up my dog

Comment

I think my dog is older than 13 yrs old.

Comment

Care to share what are you feeding your dog?

Comment

Working...
                              X