Would you like to be a tai-tai?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would you like to be a tai-tai?

Hypothetically speaking, if your husband (or future hubby) earns a 5-digit sum monthly, and is able to provide for a comfortable lifestyle for the two of you ... would you give up your current career and be a tai-tai (lady of leisure)?

One of my friends did her FYP (Sociology, I believe) in which she interviewed her fellow uni mates and other ladies on whether they aspire towards leading the lifestyle of a tai-tai, and the results were a resounding 'yes!', even among young working professionals!

So, what's your take on the above? To be an independent woman or lead a life of leisure (but thereby depend upon your hubby for 'pocket money')?

I want to be Tai-Tai! HaHa! If my hubby got the money why not? I cantarrange my day will courses! People rushing for work while i'm rexlaxing at cafe for coffee!

Comment

Yes! So that I can actually be there for my children! And I can write my book! :D

Comment

That's an interesting question! For me, even if my husband is earning 5 figure salary, I think I will still not give up my job. Or at least find a not-so-stressed job so that I can knock off on time to be with my family. And not to worry about work after knocking off.

I think it is very important for us woman to have our own money source. If touchwood, anything happen like he has a mistress or anything, you still have a job to provide for yourself and the kids and you won't feel so lost.

Or if not to think along this line, I will say I will also want my own salary so that I can buy a lipgloss or a blouse as and when I like. I don't think i will feel comfortable spending his money "freely" while he slogs hard at work.

My boss told me I am a high maintanance person with all my makeup and nailpolish obessions, but I proudly told her, I maintain myself

Comment

Sure hell! I wouldn't mind if my man can support me, and would love to be the woman behind the successful man. He can slog at work and I will take care of his home and private affairs like his money, hahaha! I have seen a few of my expat colleague's wife who are leading such lifestyle, looks fulfilling enough.

Comment

I think most girls would aspire to be a tai-tai..who doesn't?But seriously,I think we ladies shouldn't depend totally on men.I would still prefer to have my own salary.

Comment

Who doesn't want to lead a life of luxury being a Tai Tai ....
              As long as my HB can suport my high maintainance lifestyle , that will be enough .
              That's what a Tai Tai want to lead their lifestyle...

Comment

```````````
                Last edited by happybean; 29-05-2007, 10:19 PM.

Comment

i want to be well off enough to be able to stop work anytime, but i would probably wanna have some work if not it'll be really boring!

Comment

I would mind staying home to look after the kids, after all this is a tough job. But i would choose to work part time, when the kids grow older.

Come to think of that, staying at home would be boring. But humans are contradicting, when we are in school > dream of working > hoping to be Tai Tai, to escape from work > when really become taitai later will feel bored and feel like working.

Comment

Originally posted by Jess
                      I would mind staying home to look after the kids, after all this is a tough job. But i would choose to work part time, when the kids grow older.

Come to think of that, staying at home would be boring. But humans are contradicting, when we are in school > dream of working > hoping to be Tai Tai, to escape from work > when really become taitai later will feel bored and feel like working.
                      Well, Humans won't never be contented with what they have .
                      Once they get what they want , they will also hope for another one.

Comment

I wouldn't mind stopping work if my husband is capable of supporting me. But he has to be VERY rich or have very good earning powers because I intend to further my studies. Come to think of it, that doesn't sound like the good life of a tai-tai either... Ah well...

But I think I'll be bored stiff if I lead the life of a real tai-tai. When you are working, going for hair treatments, manicure/pedicure. facials, high teas etc are like a treat for yourself. But if these activities become a ful-time occupation, it'll be rather dreary, won't it?

Comment

sure man...
                          I'd think I'm able to do more with my kids and for others...
                          Keeping myself occupied with children, doing things that I like, being a volunteer, doing something for charity or for good course...... etc etc...
                          the sky is the limit!!

Comment

it would be nice to lead the life of a tai-tai for a while but i think that i would still prefer earning my own source of income

Comment

hm... may be some tai-tai are born in a wealthy family... like from parents inheritance perhaps?! And therefore it's the hubby who is working to keep himself alive.... hahaha
                              people generally think it's the other way round... don't know why?!
                              Last edited by GG; 15-07-2006, 10:45 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X