Are you a fashion victim?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are you a fashion victim?

Extracted this from Sunday Life! Gosh, I think I had broken almost all the rules but I can't live without heels for instance. Mini skirt causes celluite?

Eight fashion trends which may put wannabe trendoids at risk:

Time to hit the nail on its head
    MANICURED nails can look pretty. But they can also turn pretty ugly if not groomed correctly. Dr Eileen Tan, associate consultant dermatologist at Changi General Hospital, says she has started to encounter an array of nail cosmetics-related skin disorders ever since nail salons started growing in popularity.

For example, pushing back the cuticles too much may damage the softened nail matrix. This is the part of the nail below the nail fold and which is responsible for growth.This can result in depressed lines running across the nail. Viral warts or fungal infections can develop because it is easier for such micro-organisms to penetrate the nail. Certain nail products can also damage the nails.

Nail hardeners, which are used to strengthen nails, often contain formaldehyde. This can give rise to allergic contact dermatitis, or skin irritation. It can also cause onycholysis where the nail is lifted off the nail bed. This can cause much discomfort, like getting your nail caught on clothing, for example. Prolonged use of formaldehyde can cause the nail to split and become brittle.

Don't live to dye another day
    HENNA tattoos can give your skin a touch of exotica.
    But they can also leave you with a rash and blisters.
    Dr Goh Chee Leok, medical director of the National Skin Centre, says the problem is not the henna dye itself, but the chemical para-phenylene diamine (PPD), which is sometimes added to it.
    PPD, which is used in some hair dyes, gives the henna tattoo a darker colour, making it stand out more and last longer.

TIT FOR TATTOO: While henna tattoos will not mark you for life, the dye used may contain a PPD chemical. Exposure to the chemical can lead to allergic reactions like rashes and itchiness. To ensure you are getting a pure henna tattoo, Dr Goh says the henna dye should be reddish brown, and not anything darker, like black.

Mini me

A WOMAN flaunting her legs in a micro-mini can be a road hazard to motorists and passers-by. She can also be a hazard to herself.
    Physiotherapist Yasmin Qureshi from Delfi Orchard's Back and Neck Centre says a woman wearing a tight mini-skirt can injure her back if she has to pick something up from the floor.The proper way to bend over is to place one foot in front of the other, and bend both knees.

'But you can't spread your legs one in front of the other in a mini. There's no room to,' she says. 'She'll probably twist her hips to one side, and contort her spine in an undesirable way. It's easy to sprain your back muscles.'

In fact, the mini skirt has also been said to cause cellulite.
    Two years ago, researchers at Germany's Gottingten University found that women who insist on wearing mini skirts in the cold are likely to grow a thicker layer of fat and cellulite on the legs to keep warm. So, avoid mini skirts if the air-conditioner is on full blast at the office.

Ms Qureshi also advises against wearing a mini to work, especially if you are going to do something strenuous, like lifting files off the floor. 'On other occasions, if you're wearing a mini and you drop something, get someone else to pick it up for you,' she says.

[COLOR=DEEP PINK]So hip, it hurts
    LOW-SLUNG jeans that threaten to expose your rear end have raised some serious aesthetic concerns. Now, they have created some health ones as well. Dr Toh Choon Lai, a consultant orthopaedic surgeon at Mount Elizabeth Medical Centre, says wearing tight clothes - like hipster jeans - can squeeze a sensory nerve that passes over the hip bone. This causes a tingling sensation in the thighs called meralgia paresthetica. Other symptoms include numbness, pain, a burning sensation and sensitivity in the front and outer part of the thigh.

A Canadian doctor recently warned in a letter published in the Canadian Medical Association journal that hipster jeans, favoured by celebrities like Britney Spears and Christina Aguilera, could bring on this condition.[/COLOR]

Cont.....

[COLOR=DARK BLUE]Shoe fetish
    HIGH heels give you instant sex appeal - they make you taller, give the illusion of longer calves, push your pelvis out and give you a nice wiggle. But in the long run, they can leave you hobbling in pain, with corns on your feet, shorter calves and back problems. Man was designed to walk on a level surface. On heels, the surface area is decreased. Your walking pattern is dramatically altered and abnormal. The average person takes 10,000 to 15,000 steps a day. Now imagine doing that on your toes. High heels throw the weight forward onto the balls of the feet. The back is arched and the knees are locked to compensate for the body leaning forward. The higher the heels, the greater the weight on the ball of the foot. There is also greater pressure on the knee-caps as they are in a constantly bent position.Some studies show that a three-inch heel puts twice the amount of pressure on the ball of the foot. That means a woman who weighs 47 kg exerts a weight of 94 kg on her feet 10,000 times every day.

Pointy-toed shoes, which were all the rage last year, can end up squeezing toes together. This, in turn, can compress the nerves running through the toes, and can leave the foot with a tingling sensation. It is also easy to develop corns and calluses since the toes are rubbing together. And with all the toes squashed together, it is hard to grip the ground for the right amount of stability. [/COLOR]

[COLOR=DARK RED]Bag envy
    SOME handbags can damage not just your bank accounts but your shoulders, too. A bag stuffed with your 170-g PDA, 215-g mobile phone, 500-g wallet, makeup pouch, vitamin box and numerous keys, can add up to a great burden on your shoulder muscles and arms. It is even more dangerous if your bag comes with a hard and chunky handle. Chronic stress, and tightness in the neck and shoulder muscles can result if shoulder bags are carried on the same shoulder every day. One can also get a stiff neck and numbness in the arms as the handbag sits on the levator scapulae - the muscle that helps to lift the shoulder blade. This, in turn, pulls on the cervical and upper thoracic vertebra, which is the upper half of the spine bones behind the chest. The common underlying cause of the syndrome is compression of the nerves and arteries in the thoracic outlet. This compression can be caused by an extra first rib, an old collar bone fracture, abnormal muscles or muscle hypertrophy, where muscles increase in size in response to increased work.

Doctors advise women not to overload their handbags. Carry only the essentials. But if the essentials end up weighing a tonne, avoid carrying the bag on one shoulder. Alternate the bag between both shoulders, or use both arms to support the bag.
    Alternatively, use a backpack-style bag so that the weight is more evenly distributed between both shoulders.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=ORANGE-RED]Beware fallout from rebonding
    IMAGINE running your fingers through silky straight hair, only to have it come off in clumps. That is what happened to Danielle Lugue, 14, after she rebonded her hair a year ago. Her mother, sales and marketing director Fay Lugue, says her daughter's hair started breaking about two months after she had it rebonded. Mrs Lugue, 39, says: 'It was scary. You'd see all her hair falling off in the shower. And it would be in big clumps, too.'She's never going for rebonding again. It's just too unhealthy for the hair.'

Doctors and even some hairstylists agree that rebonding is one of the most damaging things you can do to your hair. Hair is irreversibly altered after the perming process. Chemically-treated hair shafts are weaker and fracture more easily. This can lead to hair loss. 'If you must have absolutely straight hair, Dr Tan's advice is to go to an experienced and professional hairstylist who uses the right technique and equipment. The best approach is to treat your hair kindly. Avoid harsh shampoos, regular perms and chemical processes to your hair if you can help it. [/COLOR]

Waxing lyrical
    THE thought of a Brazilian wax can make one's hair stand on end.
    It involves stripping off all the hair in the pubic region with hot wax. IT BURNS, IT BURNS: Using hot wax to remove body hair can end up burning the skin and causing blisters if the wax is not cooled to a safe temperature.

As with waxing on any other part of the body or face, complications can arise if the wax is too hot. Hot wax, if not cooled to a safe temperature, can burn the skin, and cause redness and blisters. It can take up to a week to heal with steroid cream and antihistamine medicine. It is possible to develop a secondary infection if waxing is done extensively at one go. The skin can get a bit raw, and this can result in the skin follicles being infected.

Comment

Re: Are you a fashion victim?

[size=1]Originally posted by meow123
      Mini skirt causes celluite?
      From the article, I think it's also due to the cold temperature. No cloth to protect your legs from the cold, so circulation drops and thus encourage cellulite to form. Should be like that

I'm only guilty of 2
      - Shoe fetish
      - Bag envy
      But I don't mind committing more sins

Comment

Oh my gosh meow! I m guilty of many. All my jeans hang at my hips, I've rebonded my hair, bleached them, permed them and rebonded them again.

And I have brazilian wax ever since I can remember.

Comment

Originally posted by Hunny
          Oh my gosh meow! I m guilty of many. All my jeans hang at my hips, I've rebonded my hair, bleached them, permed them and rebonded them again.

And I have brazilian wax ever since I can remember.
          oh you are a fan of brazilian wax huh?? I think this one is the least harmless of the eight...

I am very guilty of the shoes....can't live without heels and I love pointed ones too.....and I can't imagine not colouring my hair....it would be too boring...

nah, I would continue with what I am doing...just got to make sure I don't overdo it....

Comment

uh oh. am i a fashion victim? but i don't have enough clothes/accessories/bags/shoes to qualify as such. but i've broken enough rules here. can't live without heels, big bags, hipster jeans. and i've rebonded my hair enough to know its damage. *groan*

Comment

Originally posted by michannat
              uh oh. am i a fashion victim? but i don't have enough
              that's classic!

actually that thought crossed my mind too, not enough possessions to qualify as "victim"

Comment

oh gosh...thats scary, i cant leave without heals, minis and hipsters (but i *** wear them so often now)

Comment

Originally posted by kiss_me
                  oh gosh...thats scary, i cant leave without heals, minis and hipsters (but i *** wear them so often now)
                  no worries, minis is no problem for hot weathered Singapore!

Comment

Originally posted by meow123
                    oh you are a fan of brazilian wax huh?? I think this one is the least harmless of the eight...

I am very guilty of the shoes....can't live without heels and I love pointed ones too.....and I can't imagine not colouring my hair....it would be too boring...

nah, I would continue with what I am doing...just got to make sure I don't overdo it....
                    Hi meow meow, haha yah I adore doing the Brazilian because it means I'll stay hair-free for ages and the regrowth is finer.
                    I dont want my pubes to stick out when I m in my bestest bikini

Oh yes shoes! I m a comfort freak so I only stick to flats or open-toe sandals.Tried some pointy elfish shoes at FEP yesterday.. My toes were crushed

Comment

I'm guilty of the Deadly Sins....that's why I'm spending a fortune on fitness to correct my battered and bruised body!

No seriously though....carrying a shoulder bag on one side over several years has left me with one shoulder about an inch lower than the other. :roll:

Crushing heels have given me bunions and callouses. Doesn't help that my feet are broad to begin with, and I can't resist pretty, tiny, pointy shoes! I'm trying to wear more flats and thong sandals now so that my toes have room to move and breathe.

All my clothes hang at my hips too, but luckily they're mostly loose-fitting and floaty skirts, nothing too tight or constrictive, so no worries about pinching any nerves there.

I truly truly believe that bit about miniskirts causing cellulite....witnessed it first hand overseas. Those girls who liked to dress skimpily even in the middle of winter put on a lot of flab around their exposed areas. It's the body's natural defence mechanism to "pad out" exposed / vulnerable areas! So....WRAP UP! WRAP UP!

Comment

i am a victim on rebonded hair.. cant stand my frizzy hair and love the sleekness and hassle-no-more effect after the whole sesison.

i do agree that it do contribute in the rate of falling hair. feel that my hair also tend to fall in clumps soon after rebonding. my hairstylist told me to give my hair a break for a year more. btw, i only do rebonding once a year.

Comment

Working...
                        X