What do u do with unwanted gifts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do u do with unwanted gifts?

I have stuff at home given to me by friends. I don't use them and they are taking up my storage space.

What would you do? Keep them anyhow, give them away or sell off at auctions? The reason why I am asking is because I am toying with the idea of selling them online but have not quite decided if I should really do so? Anyway, what do you do with your unwanted gifts?

give them away to people who will appreciate/use them
    or like clpersonal, i'd rewrap and give it as a token during parties etc.
    i don't think it's nice to sell gifts...that's my personal opinion though.
    Last edited by sharon; 26-10-2003, 09:29 PM.

Comment

Well, i'm embarrassed to say this but i'll re-wrap them and give it to somebody else that i'm not very close with. Of course the gift must be appropriate for the occasion.
      But i try not to do this all the time, if its gifts from close friends or relatives, no matter how much i dislike it, i'll still keep it.

Comment

I normally sell them if they can fetch some value or give them away if they are not practical to me and cant be sold for much profit.

Comment

one man's junk is another man's treasure ... ...

o'well i'll either re-wrap and give it to another person (who's not from the same group of friends where i got the gift from) or sell it off at flea market.

hehe ...

Comment

If they're still in good condition, I'll give them away to charities because most of my unwanted stuff are all soft toys..

Comment

Personally, I would re-wrap them and give it to another friend from an entirely different group during an appropriate occasion. Don't think I want to auction it off since it will risk having the friend who gave it to me see me doing that. But it is selling off in a more discreet manner, I think it is ok too. The morale behind is, do not show any disrescpect for the person who gave you the gift in the first place

Comment

Originally posted by Vonnie
                The morale behind is, do not show any disrescpect for the person who gave you the gift in the first place
                yeah i think this is what i wanted to put across, well said Vonnie

Comment

Thank you everyone for your input.

Personally, I have never given to anybody (except to mom), gifts that were given to me and this explain why my storage space is exploding. All the important people in my life have never given me a "wrong gift".... hee hee, except for dad but still, they are precious to me and I will keep them for life.

Anyway, after some consideration, I guess I will not be selling any of my gifts from friends afterall as I would not want to upset anyone. But truth is, I don't mind if my gift to my friends are given away or sold. As the owner of the gift they can do anything they want and I am cool.
                  Last edited by naughtygirl; 27-10-2003, 01:11 PM.

Comment

I auctioned off some previous X'mas and housewarming gifts. Now auctioning GWP

Comment

Re: What do u do with unwanted gifts?

I'd usually auction stuff away....
                      But once this guy saw his gift being auctioned away online n got kinda pissed, it made me feel so guilty even tho' we weren't close at all. So i guess if you wanna sell your unwanted gifts away..do it in a discreet manner. else U might jus end up hurting some1's feelings unknowingly...
                      Last edited by nicole; 04-11-2003, 04:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by qiu
                        If they're still in good condition, I'll give them away to charities because most of my unwanted stuff are all soft toys..
                        Me too! .. I'll usually give them away to charity sales, like fund-raising for some homes... as Mum is quite involved in it... they will sell it off and then money will be given to the homes to help others...I take it that I'm helping others at the same time clearing up my room space.........

Comment

Originally posted by Vonnie
                          Personally, I would re-wrap them and give it to another friend from an entirely different group during an appropriate occasion. Don't think I want to auction it off since it will risk having the friend who gave it to me see me doing that. But it is selling off in a more discreet manner, I think it is ok too. The morale behind is, do not show any disrescpect for the person who gave you the gift in the first place
                          thats what i will do too...

Comment

My aunt used to buy me expensive presents. I appreciate the gesture but not the gift as our tastes are very different. As I didn't want her to waste her money on me with those "useless" gifts, I plucked up the courage to tell her to stop buying me presents. I know she was very hurt at first but I felt it was better in the long run.
                            These days, for practical reasons, I'm very thick skinned. When it comes to Christmas or birthdays, I will tell people that if they insist in buying me something, food is preferred.

Comment

agree. sometimes my dad's colleagues or my aunt will buy those small (and not very useful) gifts from overseas and give us. then what we do is to give them away to friends. cos too many at home, my mum complain.

Comment

Working...
                              X