Talent agency scams

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Talent agency scams

Has anyone heard of an agency doing print ad etcs called BH Industry? My friend has been asked by them to go for auditions but she is worried that it might be bogus. I mean we're wary cos we've all heard of modelling agencies that turn out to be bogus and require to pay large sums of money as "registration'.

Thanks!

I know this one... they're supposed to be a modelling cum talent agency but I was told that it's fake. You see, most modelling agencies require you to have a portfolio and compcards so that when you go for assignment auditions, you present your portfolio of your different poses and styles ( vogue,casual,sporty etc...) to the client and then give them your comp card which is basically a model's business card. However, BHI doesn't require any portfolio whatsoever but instead, they require you to pay $500 for the make-up kit by beverly hills and supposedly sponsors your grooming lessons so basically at the end of the whole course, you'll be left with nothing but a $500 make-up kit which is silly because if you ever manage to clinch an assignment, there will be a make-up artist on the shoot to do your make-up most of the time so why on earth do you need a professional make-up kit??
    Last edited by grace; 01-12-2003, 09:36 PM.

Comment

yep, grace's right. Tell your friend not to waste her time. Oh yes.. and almost 3/4 of my friends have been approached by their "hunters"... another thing is.. i heard that their grooming trainers are not even professional trainers or makeup artists! :huh:

Comment

yeah it's a sham i think, the new paper reported something on this BH agency a few months or a year back, i can't remember. anyway they will ask the so - called scouted talents to buy all the skin care products and after that never contact them again.

Comment

I agree with all of them here. I never go for these talent or so called model agency, cos before u can earn, u have to spend a fortune!

Comment

It's a sham. Tell your friend not to go. Has she signed the contract? I believe that there's a penalty of S$2000 if one breaks the contract.... it's ridiculous.

Comment

Thanks everyone for the info. No luckily she hasn't even gone for the "interview" with them as she was kind of skeptical about it in the first place. The first thing that struck me when she told me where the co. is situated (Takashimaya) is that it could be link to the Beverly Hills cosmetics scam I read about quite long ago.

I just needed confirmation and some information and now I'm pretty sure its a sham! Gee and they kept emphasizing they're not a modelling agency but they do print advertisements etc...duh

Comment

Dont go!

The makeup alone costs $500, and you still have to buy your own m/u tools and such.
                I've been approached before many times and I heard friends who've been cheated of the money cause apparently, there were no assignments coming your way after you've spent the fortune on the "grooming classes".

Even the "talent scouts" look so bogus.. So may of those young girls standing along Tangs and the tunnel towards Tangs, all approaching you at one go.

Comment

Agree fully... its fake... you need to pay a lot more before you can have your pictures taken... its reported in the news too... Be careful!!

Comment

Originally posted by popsicle
                    Thanks everyone for the info. No luckily she hasn't even gone for the "interview" with them as she was kind of skeptical about it in the first place. The first thing that struck me when she told me where the co. is situated (Takashimaya) is that it could be link to the Beverly Hills cosmetics scam I read about quite long ago.

I just needed confirmation and some information and now I'm pretty sure its a sham! Gee and they kept emphasizing they're not a modelling agency but they do print advertisements etc...duh
                    They are indeed linked with Beverly Hills cosmetics!!! (not sure if they are now)

Comment

There are also many talent/modelling agencies who ask you to pay 300 over bucks to get your portfolio and comp card done.

I personally think if you're indeed a modelling material, these companies will fork out cash to groom you. What's 300 dollars to them if a girl can bring in lotsa jobs for them?

I suggest girls who really wanna try out modelling to take some shots (use elite model's guideline) and send it to various agencies. If u've got the quality, they'll call u up.

Comment

I was so duped! I went, (BH thingy at taka)
                        A lady tried to talk me into buying $500 worth of "professional" make up. When I told her I already owned a set, she told me she will call me back in 6 months and showed me the way out of the office.

Comment

Like tyra banks says: "An agency who asks you to pay upfront is a scam."

Comment

Yeah, i agree totally. I went with my gf before to some agency @ Takashimaya (not sure if it's BH, can't really remember the name) & they promoted the stupid makeup set. I told my gf not to be taken in cos their makeup set's not even a common brand. I'd rather she don't spend that kind of $ on something not even reputable. Thank goodness she escaped their clutches!!!

I'm sick of all these talent scouts bugging girls all the time just cos they're skinny. I mean, like hello? Just cos they're skinny doesn't mean that they're model material, right? There was once i was approached by this guy outside the open air Swensens @ Orchard. When i declined & said i wasn't interested, he kept bugging me all the way across the road to Paragon. When i insisted on declining, he got fed up & shouted after me "You think you're very pretty is it?! Please go take a good look @ the mirror!!!" Geez.. I was totally appalled by his lack of manners!!!

Comment

Originally posted by crazyshopaholic
                              Yeah, i agree totally. I went with my gf before to some agency @ Takashimaya (not sure if it's BH, can't really remember the name) & they promoted the stupid makeup set. I told my gf not to be taken in cos their makeup set's not even a common brand. I'd rather she don't spend that kind of $ on something not even reputable. Thank goodness she escaped their clutches!!!

I'm sick of all these talent scouts bugging girls all the time just cos they're skinny. I mean, like hello? Just cos they're skinny doesn't mean that they're model material, right? There was once i was approached by this guy outside the open air Swensens @ Orchard. When i declined & said i wasn't interested, he kept bugging me all the way across the road to Paragon. When i insisted on declining, he got fed up & shouted after me "You think you're very pretty is it?! Please go take a good look @ the mirror!!!" Geez.. I was totally appalled by his lack of manners!!!
                              Totally feel angry for you.. now all the bad energy is towards that rude guy

Comment

Working...
                              X