Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calling overseas - Info & Help

Hi gals,

I need some help. For those of you who have loved ones or friends living overseas, what kind of calling cards do you use when you speak to them on the phone? I want to make calls to Canada and States and am sourcing for the cheapest option. I am totally clueless with this, but I want to be able to make the calls from either the comfort of my own home or mobile phone which happens to be from SingTel provider. I looked through the Singtel website and am quite interested in this v019 cards. Have anyone used this? I think it is about 0.10 cents per minute? Does anyone has a cheaper alternative? I'll be most glad if you can let me know if there are any other cheaper alternatives. Thank you so much in advance!! :wave:

Don't know if I am of any help... but I have heard that Starhub subsribers pay local charges when callling the States?

Comment

I use to use www.i2u.com.sg
      Its 0.075 cents to call States and Canada.
      You can dial using any phone, as long as its registered with them and start dialing by 1150 or something along that line. I didn't need to use it for some months, so I've forgotton about it.
      Do check out the website.

I think so far its the cheapest, and i still manage to rack up some 30-40dollars of IDD bills.... geez

Comment

Also check out sunpage.com.sg!

Comment

Disclaimer first... I seldom call overseas, so these may not be necessarily the cheapest.

The SingTel v019 card ... is it the same as 019 service? I know that dialing 019 is cheaper than 001, just that quality may not be that good. And yup, I think starhub mobile subscribers can dial to the States but pay local mobile charges till end of this year.

Alternatively, if you're always calling up the same person, how about going through internet telephony? If I'm not mistaken, both parties will need to have a mike/speaker that can be connected to the PC, and u can use MSN IM to connect. I think there are alternative software available, but I can't recall offhand. Maybe do an internet search if you want to find out more?

Comment

webcams? you can use yahoo messenger or msn messenger. but somehow my webcam doesn't work on msn so no chance to try it out with bf.

i use 019. quality is quite good! no complains there! used to use the sunpage calling cards too. good quality too

Comment

i love Singtel's ICC. the rates are , good clarity and no problems with connection etc., check it out ! even now that i am in the US, i still use Singtel ICC to call back home.

Comment

Making overseas call

Anyone has any idea what is cheapest way to call Taiwan.

I have enquired from Singtel that the roaming charge is about $1.77/min and the person who is on auto-roaming will be charged on all the calls incoming and outgoing.

Comment

Roaming is very expensive, do u mean call back sg when u r in taiwan or call to Taiwan when u r in sg? If u wanna call taiwan from sg, use 019 then country code - area code then tel no. It cost about 20cents per min if the promo is still not, if not would be 40+cents

Comment

a cheap way would be using the international calling card. i used them quite often when my parents were in China for a few months coz of my dad's work. i would call my mum everyday and 1 card can last a week. i got the sunpage $10 card.

Comment

use Phoenix 1516 or Sunpage IDD, they charge abt 5cents per min only. Singtel and Starhub has budget IDD code also, you call to check with them.

Comment

I use an internet telephony, SKYPE!!

free for all international calls and quality is pretty good. just do a search for it on yahoo or something.

Comment

Oh my! I'm using Skype as well! It's so cool.... I actually found out about it from my housemate...she kept on borrowing my lap top every night to talk to her boyfriend...I was pretty annoyed.... haha

Comment

Internet telephony

Will be going off to the UK for about a year next week, and am scouting round for internet telephony options. Skype is unfortunately out of the question for me, since they haven't come up with a version for Macs and I don't want to run Virtual PC unless I really have to.

Anyone had any experience with other types of internet telephony programs? ICQ Phone?

Also - does anyone have any brands to recommend for headsets? Thanks muchly!

Comment

I'm using sunpage 1521. Free subscription and it's only 5 cents per minute to most countries.

Comment

Working...
                              X