Behind the name!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Behind the name!!

Just to share something with everyone! Find out what truly your name means from this website: http://www.behindthename.com

Enjoy

hmm..interesting....

GENEVI?VE f French
    Pronounced: zhe-ne-VYEV, zhawn-VYEV
    The meaning of this name is uncertain, though it possibly means "tribe woman" in Gaulish. Alternatively, it could be a form of GUINEVERE. Saint Genevieve, the patron saint of Paris, inspired the city to resist the Huns in the 5th century.

Comment

STELLA f English
      Pronounced: STEL-a
      Medieval name meaning "star", derived from the Latin title of Mary stella maris, meaning "star of the sea". This name was used by the 16th-century poet Sir Philip Sidney in his collection of sonnets 'Astrophel and Stella'.

Comment

ANNE f French, English, German, Scandinavian
        Pronounced: AN
        French, English, German and Scandinavian form of HANNAH. This is the name traditionally assigned to the mother of the Virgin Mary, though she is not mentioned in the Bible. The name was borne by a 17th-century English queen and also by the second wife of Henry VIII, Anne Boleyn (the mother of the future queen Elizabeth I), who was eventually beheaded in the Tower of London. This is also the name of the heroine in 'Anne of Green Gables' by Canadian author L. M. Montgomery

HANNAH f English, Jewish, French, Biblical
        Pronounced: HAN-a
        From the Hebrew name Channah which meant "favour" or "grace". Hannah was the mother of Samuel the prophet in the Old Testament. The Latin version of this name is Anna.

I burp uncontrollably at times. Eat like a slob most of the time. I'm far from graceful. Oh well.... :roll:

Comment

Here's mine:

CHRISTINA f English
          Pronounced: kris-TEEN-a
          Feminine form of CHRISTIAN. This was the name of a Swedish queen of the 17th century who was interested in the arts and philosophy. She gave up her crown to become a Roman Catholic.

CHRISTIAN m English, French, German
          Pronounced: KRIS-chen (English), KRISH-chen (English), krees-TYAWN (French)
          From a medieval Latin name that meant "Christian". This was the name of ten kings of Denmark. Another famous bearer of the name was Hans Christian Andersen, the Danish author of such fairy tales as 'The Ugly Duckling' and 'The Emperor's New Clothes'.

Comment

And here's mine, short and simple

LYNETTE f English
            Pronounced: li-NET
            Pet form of LYNN. This name was used as a form of LUNED by Tennyson in his poem 'Gareth ad Lynette'.

LYNN f,m English
            Pronounced: LIN
            Either means "lake" in Welsh or else is a short form of LINDA.

Comment

well, i don't have a Christian name, but i like this name since my chinese character "Zhi1" represents the iris flower

IRIS f Greek Mythology, English
              Pronounced: IE-ris
              Means "rainbow" in Greek. Iris was the name of the Greek goddess of the rainbow. This name can also be given in reference to the English word (which derives from the same Greek source) for the name of the iris flower or the coloured part of the eye.

Comment

thanks for sharing this. rather interesting.

Comment

WENDY

Usage: English

Pronounced: WEN-dee [key]
                  Probably first used in J. M. Barrie's play 'Peter Pan' (1904). It was from the nickname fwendy "friend", given to the author by a young friend. However, there is some evidence that the name may have been used prior to the play, in which case it could be related to the Welsh name GWENDOLEN and other names beginning with the element gwen meaning "white, fair, blessed".

Damn it, I'm always associated with Peter Pan.

Comment

TIPHANIE

Pronounced: TIF-ə-nee [key]
                    Medieval form of THEOPHANIA. This name was traditionally given to girls born on the Epiphany (January 6), the festival commemorating the visit of the Magi to the infant Jesus. The name died out after the Middle Ages, but it was revived by the movie 'Breakfast at Tiffany's' (1961), the title of which refers to the Tiffany's jewelry store in New York.

oohz! i love the song, "breakfast at Tiffany's"

Comment

FRANCIS

Pronounced: FRANT-səs [key]

English form of the Late Latin name Franciscus which meant "Frenchman". This name was borne by the 13th-century Saint Francis of Assisi, who was originally named Giovanni but was given the nickname Francesco by his father, an admirer of the French. Francis went on to renounce his father's wealth and devote his life to the poor, founding the Franciscan order of friars. Later in his life he apparently received the stigmata.
                      Due to the renown of the saint, this name became widespread in western Europe during the Middle Ages. However, it was not regularly used in Britain until the 16th century. Famous bearers include Saint Francis Xavier (1506-1552), a missionary to eastern Asia, the philosopher and scientist Francis Bacon (1561-1626), and the explorer and admiral Sir Francis Drake (1540-1595). In the English-speaking world this name is occasionally used for girls.

----------------------------------------------

Geez... Hope that cotters don't misunderstood me as a gal...

Comment

DIDI

Usage: German

Pronounced: DEE-dee

Means "warrior of the people", derived from the Germanic elements ?eud "people" and heri "army".

Comment

Andre- Ah, from the description of your name, you sound like the perfect guy - the type of guy who will protect me ...

Comment

Haha every male .. has the right to protect every female irregardless of whatever danger it is , whoever it is right !!

Comment

my name is not in the list.... zzzzz

Comment

Working...
                              X