Shopaholics Anonymous

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shopaholics Anonymous

Hi. I'm Xue and I'm a incurable shopaholic.

After spending the entire day online surfing CC and MUA boards, while checking out e-tailers, I suddenly realised how addicted I am to shopping! Especially online shopping.

It's crazy how tempted I get to buy all these strange products (Whipped Body Frosting? Scented triple-wick candles in the shape of cakes?) just by reading biased descriptions, raves from online strangers and seeing pretty pictures. I'm discovering new 'needs' I never knew existed!

This led me to wonder - how many more out there are as hopeless as me?

How often do you window-shop online?
    Every day at least! Every other hour I'm free it seems.

How often do you shop online?
    Every month at least. Usually once a week if you include CPs I request from lovely friends back home. Trying my best to cut down!

How much do you usually spend on online shopping?
    I only started since moving to London, where prices outside are scary and the cold is disgusting! So far, thanks to SSC, I've spent about S$100-200 each month on online shopping alone. I don't even dare begin to calculate how much it'll be if this included CPs!

What tempts you into making purchases?
    Definitely reviews from 'real' people! Especially people I 'know', like in CC. All these 'enablers' and temptresses lurking around just luring my credit card out!!

I'm also tempted by gorgeous pictures and alluring descriptions. Such a sucker!

What are your favourite e-tailers?
    Haven't been shopping online much (lying through my teeth!) But so far, I like SweetScentsCandles' customer service most.

Would love to hear from the rest of you! I'm sure there're lots of Cotters out there with confessions to make too.

Re: Shopaholics Anonymous

Hi. I'm Zhirong and I'm a incurable shopaholic.

Lol. super fun poll.

Same as you Xue. Every single day, and I can stick with it for a whole day!

Each time there is a bulk purchase, i'm mostly tempted.

Each month, i try to keep it to $70 or less.

Great raves from other MUAers. Great quality products get good raves, so great quality products tempt me!

I thought Meagan (BB) and Anji (CS) are both very friendly e-tailers. quality-wise, CS is not bad, while BB i'm not sure yet. also i like some Yahoo auctions members
    Last edited by islande; 13-02-2004, 09:44 AM.

Comment

after reading Xue's post,

Hi, I am Sylvia,
      i wish to make my own confession and hopefully from this, spring forth in reducing my expenditure and time spent on online and real life shopping...

At least an hour a day

Every other week or at least once a month when a spree appears or my heart just gets the better of my head......arghh

Around 100 - 200. it really depends. on a month which includes birthdays and various other occasions, bill goes up to 500 or even more....

Podders and Cotters and the devil in me......
      Like xue, i am a sucker for flowery language, gorgerous pictures and the thought of owning something not readily avaliable in Sg.

Victoria secrets, amazon, pattizer amongst the many (i fear my bills this month...arghh)
      Last edited by Alya; 13-02-2004, 11:00 AM.

Comment

A little poll to make my Friday even better!

Hi. I'm Rachel and I'm just an average shopaholic. *phew*

I like ebay. Thanks to my ex-bf who introduced me to ebay. He makes his living on ebay. Yes, there is someone in Singapore who's livelihood depends on ebay which to me is still very unbelievable.

I'm a safe online shopper. I buy what I need. I do not have any purchases that I regret buying and I make sure it doesn't happen. I make sure I do not get a shock when my bills arrive.

I window shop everyday.

At least once a month.

Max: $500. That's the limit every month. I usually spend way less than that. However I think I'm exceeding this month.

I do my research first before plunging into a purchase and I take a long time to decide if it's for myself. I can't afford careless spendings now as I have other commitments these days.

I don't have a favourite one but I do think my overseas MUA correspondents are my best ones!

Comment

Re: A little poll to make my Friday even better!

Hi. I'm Michelle and I'm a rational shopaholic. (if we're just talking about online shopping).

i hate rude shocks when i open my credit card bills hence i track most of my online shopping. also, i'm terrible at gauging clothes sizes over the net and prefer to try them on before i buy. i never thought i would cave in to the world of online shopping but as it is, i've stuck to safe purchases like bags and candles/tarts. and besides, nothing beats going to orchard and lugging my shopping home. shopping in itself is very therapeutic and satisfying for me. i like to shop alone and weekday mornings are the best.

about once a week.

once a month but it varies. depends on lemmings brought on by fellow cotters.

max $100 each time including shipping. i'm a safe shopper and will only buy limited items each time.

reviews from CCers have helped heaps. i'll be even more tempted if the items are not found in singapore, hence the need for online shopping.

i have not bought enough stuff to have found any.

Comment

Re: Re: A little poll to make my Friday even better!

Hi, huili here.
            I only like to shop for body & bath, skincare, shoes/bags/accessories, furniture ....
            That explains why I dont have many clothes.

Everyday.

If there's a spree on anything skincare products and bath & body in CC.

No limit. Because if I dont grab now, then when?
            This kind of attitude and concept really burn a hole in my wallet.
            But I just dont feel right if I dont spend.

Reviews, raves and for experiments.

N/A.

Comment

I guess everyone here is more or less the same. Even those who just keep quiet, i can imagine them quietly shop online after u all raved about stuffs

Every day, Every other hour, is a habit

I'm not sure. Not too much actually

I wont spend too much unless is on special sale!

gorgeous pictures and alluring descriptions like xue

not e-tailers, but yahoo auction!

Comment

Re: Re: Re: A little poll to make my Friday even better!

Hi, Hazel here.
                I love online shopping!! On MUA or at Yahoo..and some online e-shops... i will usually shop for makeup (esp lipglosses!), clothings and earrings!

Almost everyday!

Whenever something caught my eye..
                or when i see something cute..i always buy on impulse!

no idea.. as much as my bank allows..

reviews and packaging!

yahoo auction, supre, e-shop.com, MUA

Comment

Interesting poll

Everyday *groan*

Once in a few months for non-essentials. Nothing beats real shopping!

Varies, normally I wait until there are a few items I like so I can save on shipping or at least justify it!

If I REALLY don't have time to get something I need and as mentioned by Michannat, to get items not readily available.

Abercrombie, Amazon, Topshop, Tesco, Sainsburys (for grocery shopping.Yes, I am that lazy at times! )

Comment

I am Michelle and I am really a bad bad shopaholic

Every single day! My school requires me to online 24/7 so I think its too much of a sin and temptation!

If the shipping costs are right and I really want the item, the mouse will go crazy! (if you get what I mean!)

It really depends on how much I really want the item but it's mostly CP's from overseas (Think NARS) so I guess it's quite alot! trying to keep it lower than $400

MUA & CC reviews and packaging and whether does it suit me *really* well

yahoo SG auctions, supre and might be trying on fresh.com!
                    Last edited by stilafaux; 22-06-2004, 01:27 PM.

Comment

I'm Michelle and I'm an incurable shopaholic.

Everyday !!! Whenever I can find some spare time at work or when I am trying to de-stress. On-line retail therapy does help !

A couple of times a week - yes, I am incorrigible ! This includes CPs or "other arrangments" in MUA.

It varies ... from US$35 onwards .... and the $ is growing esp with the new S/S LE make-up collections

Recommendations from friends or reviews on CC or MUA or pictures/photos of the items - irresistable !

Perhaps I should say my CP-tailers ! Otherwise, Sephora and SSC.

Comment

How much do you spend on clothes each month?

:wave: Hi ladies.....

Just received my credit card bill today and realised that I spent almost $300 on clothes each month! This is quite a hefty sum for a miserably-paid worker like me.

Out of curiosity, how much money do you spend on clothes every month? Do you actually set aside a budget for shopping?

Comment

Uh, way more than I should be spending. I don't have a set budget, but I estimate that depending on the month, around 50%-75% of my monthly expenditure (excluding rent) goes toward my shopping habit.

Comment

Too much...

I average around S$300 when I'm back in Singapore. Over in London, I've just spent over S$1000 on a winter shopping spree...

Comment

It depends, sometimes I don't shop for months and when the need for retail therapy comes, I'll spend as much as $800.

Comment

Working...
                              X