Therapy sessions??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Therapy sessions??

I am just wondering if any Cotters here go for professional therapy sessions?

I don't think such sessions are the norm in Singapore and I am really interested in them. I am a fairly anxious person and I suspect this can be alleviated by some professional help. It's not life-threatening or anything, but I believe I will live happier and healthier without some of those moments.

TIA!

What theraphy are you referring to? Psycological theraphy? If so, then the best way is to walk in a regular clinic, see the doc and ask him to write you a referal. This way, you save alot more $ than compared to if you walk-in for a consultation. Actually if your concerns are just anxiousness about daily life, would self-help books be able to do the job instead? Or how about motivational courses that teaches you how to have more control over your emotions and reactions?

Comment

Sometimes I get those almost-panic-attacks which freak me out. I cannot breathe properly and feel really overwhelmed and would just start crying. They don't happen often, but can be triggered unexpectedly. This did not happen during my childhood and is pretty recent. Hopefully, it does not get worse.

Comment

If you have an idea of the reasons behind your panic attacks, but just that you can't control it, then I'd still suggest tht you stick to self-help books, relaxation excercises, etc. But if you don't even have an idea of what triggers these attacks, when they might happen, and how serious they could be each time, then do seek professional help. Just my $0.02's worth, but whatever issues you have deep down and whatever you need to overcome in your life, you have to do it on your own. Therapists can only help by suggesting ways to untie the knot. Only you can untie it physically and cut the string for good. Go to them if you need someone to analyse possible reasons for certain behaviours/reactions. Take it from there on your own. I really feel that the only way to solve such problems for good is by your own strength.

Comment

hey,

i used to go for a couple of sessions back in varsity days. but that was the inhouse counselling center that my uni had. helped me A LOT cos i was highly stressed and depressed by my course.

i'd say go for them. get a referral from your GP and try. mango is right to say that *you* have to 'cut the knot'....but in several cases, because you are so close to the problem, you may not be able to identify nor see it clearly at all. therapists will help you clarify the problems, and identify possible solutions. but the ultimate choice is still yours...whether to actively do something about the problem or let it slide.
          if it's psycological problems rooted in your past, it's a tad bit harder to deal with by yourself.

do note though, that it may take a while to warm up to your therapist. and also each therapist may have his own style. you may need a little 'shopping' to find one that suits you.

Comment

Depression.. Help!

Hi,

I have a cousin who has a seroius depression problem. He seem to have problems interacting with people. Because of that he has not been working for a few years. He has very few friends, for some reasons he stop going to church. He just stayed at home most of his days. Not much activities. His family is very worried. He actually holds a local degree qualification...

Is there a hotlline for him to call? Or any psychologist to recommend? Anyone has similar experience to share
            Last edited by Acidica; 15-11-2004, 11:24 AM.

Comment

Can call SOS at 1800-221-4444 24hrs daily

Various helpline numbers available here

WHERE CAN YOU GET HELP?
              If you, or someone you know is unable to cope with depression, professional help is available.
              Institute of Mental Health Clinic: 6389 2200

Behavioural Medicine Clinic (Health Promotion Board): 6435 3879

Behavioural Medicine Clinic (Alexandra Clinic): 6762 4166

Child Guidance Clinic: 6435 3878/9

CGH's Division of Psychological Medicine offers comprehensive psychiatric services. If you wish to book an appointment for psychiatric consultation, please contact our Appointment Centre at tel: 6850 3333.

Seek treatment early. Don?t suffer unnecessarily. Help is available and effective.

Source 1

Source 2

Source 3

Comment

Thanks CaramelGirl for your post!

Comment

*bravely sticking hand up*

Yep, I go to therapy.

It can be good and bad. For so many reasons. It look me probably about 6 months to get into it, before that I just used to sit there, wondering what I was supposed to say.

It is good if there are things in your life that are bothering you to a point where it affects your day-to-day living. I always knew that I wasn't quite 'normal' in that I seemed to be very unhappy all the time, and had difficulty trusting people. So it does help with things like that.

On the other hand, there are times when it affects the way I deal with my friends because sometimes I might have to talk about very upsetting things and it makes me feel like not being around anyone, to the point where I'd just rather be at home, alone.

If something is bothering you, it is a good idea to try and get help. I used to think that a lot of my problems were because I was an awful human being, or because I wasn't a good enough daughter, not smart enough, not pretty enough. Slowly, things are starting to change. But I wonder when I shall get better or if I'll ever be fully well.

Comment

On the other hand, there are times when it affects the way I deal with my friends because sometimes I might have to talk about very upsetting things and it makes me feel like not being around anyone, to the point where I'd just rather be at home, alone.

If something is bothering you, it is a good idea to try and get help. I used to think that a lot of my problems were because I was an awful human being, or because I wasn't a good enough daughter, not smart enough, not pretty enough. Slowly, things are starting to change. But I wonder when I shall get better or if I'll ever be fully well.
                    Hey...this sounds like me sometimes. I do want to get therapy but they are so expensive.

Comment

actually i think talking abt the problems helps.
                      a therapist is there to listen and help/ guide u thru ur probs.
                      in many instances, we talk abt our problems, but do we make an effort to change?

making changes is difficult but taking baby steps will help
                      first of all, do find someone to talk abt ur "prob", the willingness to communicate is already a big step

"ME" time is also important, helps to sort out ur thoughts and not be nasty to pple we love around us....

Stay positive, gals! Life is never easy, but keep trying!

Comment

Hi all, I am a depression victim for years. From very serious to now able to lead a normal life, but with meds and therapy. I have been treated by Dr. Tay Liam Kai at Mt Elizabeth Hosp and the recovery was very speedy during the 1st year of my treatment. However, the cost is pretty high. Hmm... yup, I come from a normal family so it was really a burden at the start but due to the speedy recovery, the costs have been cut. Now I only visit the doc once in 3 months for follow-ups and get medication... I hope this helps in your relative's situation. I have been there, I know how terrible it is.

Comment

Working...
                        X