60 minutes exposes war crimes in Iraq

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 60 minutes exposes war crimes in Iraq

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/...in614063.shtml <-- The full story.

http://www.democraticunderground.com...dress=109x8317 <-- the gory photos.

I think everyone needs to know and actually see what's happening if this is true.

Has anyone else heard of this? Someone please tell me this is all staged.

have read it but not sure how true it is, well if it is, they should be ashamed of themselves for treating fellow human beings like that

Comment

From today's ST:

The US-led coalition moved to contain the damage. President George W. Bush said on Friday: 'Their treatment does not reflect the nature of the American people. That's not the way we do things in America. I didn't like it one bit.'

R-I-G-H-T .....

But on a serious note, I think being in a war situation can change the way people think/act, that's why in a war, there's almost always rampant war crimes being committed everywhere. But having committed these beastial acts, they should be persecuted to pay for their actions.

Comment

I'm disgusted!! :puke:

Comment

it's horrifying, but somewhat explicable.

the herd mentality can submerge individual values and make a person do something that he/she would never do otherwise.

the guys in my hostel caught a rat once and proceeded to do the following:
          a) whack it with a broomstick
          b) throw it down from the 4th floor
          c) pick it up and throw it down from the 4th floor again
          d) stomp on it
          e) set fire to it

they then repeated the entire process when they caught another rat a few weeks later.

now, these are normal, perfectly sane boys that we're talking about. guys who are generally sweet and animal loving... one of them even keeps hamsters! and yet they come together in a group and attack a harmless rat. i don't know what they were thinking but i can only guess that it was an act of bonding, and they were too caught up in the moment, proving their manhood and brotherhood.

war can do that to people -- being in a position of power and needing to feel "big" and strong at the expense of the weak.

Comment

http://www.guardian.co.uk/Iraq/Story...207458,00.html

There's more bad news coming out now.

I just think it's horribly depressing. what's worst is how some americans try to defend the behaviour by saying it's just common in war, that the iraqis probably deserved it, that people are over-reacting.

Comment

that's disgusting! just because it TENDS to happen doesn't mean it HAS to happen -- or that it's right when it happens. :piss:

Comment

i know! these idiots say things like 'you kill them anyway, so how can you talk about decency?'

but the thing is, you're allowed to kill them during conflict. But when you've captured them as prisoners, rules of engagement apply and you have to treat them decently. that's why we have things like the Geneva Convention which US hasn't ractified yet (i think). it's not even part of the ICJ which means if any American commits war crimes, he cannot be held accountable internationally.

which is the problem now, because a civilian contractor is accused of sodomising a teenaged Iraqi POW. But since he's a civilian, he can't be courtmartialled like the rest of the soldiers. Since it happened in Iraq, America cannot try him only the Iraqis can. And the Iraqis have already issued a blanket 'pardoning' for all crimes committed in their country by Americans. so he's going to get away scotfree?! :piss:

Comment

Originally posted by ataraxia
                  .... And the Iraqis have already issued a blanket 'pardoning' for all crimes committed in their country by Americans. so he's going to get away scotfree?! :piss:
                  They did it because they think they can get away with it.

The internet is such a blessing. Imagine if these only came to light when all the American & British troops have left -- there'll probably be YEARS of denial, and the wrongdoers will probably never be exposed or brought to justice.

I sure hope that more of such incidences will surface over the next few days, and enrage the world community enough to lobby for the withdrawal of the foreign troops.

The world is already so weary of Bush's war-games.

Comment

.... but the thing is, you're allowed to kill them during conflict. But when you've captured them as prisoners, rules of engagement apply and you have to treat them decently. that's why we have things like the Geneva Convention which US hasn't ractified yet (i think).
                    What rules of engagement? What's the Geneva Convention?

These soldiers are probably young, hot-blooded PUNKS who signed on to go to Iraq, hoping to grab a piece of action, and probably to collect war stories to brag at the local pub.

The pictures posted on the Internet looked like they were taken as souveniers to show off to friends back home. It almost says: Look! We're having sooooooo much fun! Wish you were here babe!

:puke:

Comment

i just don't get it. most soldiers agree that the rules of engagement and basics of the Geneva Convention are drilled into them through basic training. either these soldiers just lost it, or the chain of command really screwed up.

I believe war does horrible things to people, enabling them to do things they would never even think of usually. think Lord of the Flies. But it's still inexcusable.

Thank god for the internet.

It's such a dilemna now, because the coalition forces can't just pull out completely after thoroughly destroying the infrastructure. US should feel morally obliged to help the Iraqis, but yet we can't ensure they'd do the right thing.

Worst of all, the UN can't really step in, especially since it's also extremely unpopular in Iraq!

Comment

OMG
                        A horrible thought just struck me: are the women (and children) safe?

*flashback*
                        Okinawa

Comment

call me cynical but it's all that i expect in the war no matter who's involved - which is why i would never approve of any war, justified or not such as that led by US and allies into iraq last year. and honestly, after the bush and blair shannigan, i wouldn't imagine less of their armies' tactics

Comment

i know! these idiots say things like 'you kill them anyway, so how can you talk about decency?'

but the thing is, you're allowed to kill them during conflict. But when you've captured them as prisoners, rules of engagement apply and you have to treat them decently. that's why we have things like the Geneva Convention which US hasn't ractified yet (i think). it's not even part of the ICJ which means if any American commits war crimes, he cannot be held accountable internationally.

xue: the US did not ratify the international court of war crimes (correct name?) cos they said that they might be prosecuted by countries unneccesarily, therefore US citizens cannot be brought to trial if they commit war crimes, bit hypocritical eh?

Comment

lumos: yeap! it's so unfair! they think they can judge those people in guantanomo (sic) bay but the world cannot hold any Americans accountable for any war crimes?

Comment

Working...
                              X