X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Money orders

thanks in advance!

WesternUnion

this site should answer your questions about MO.

also, a bit more info:

IMO (International Money Order)

International Money Orders are cash equivalent methods of payment for international transactions, often used in auctions. (Although, with advent of electronic payment methods they are becoming less popular).

As a buyer of IMO, you can specify the name of the person/entity who can cash the MO, if you leave the name area blank, anyone can cash MO in question then. Also, it is recommended that you will out the From: area of the MO with your name/information.

International Money Orders can be purchased at post offices of most countries. When purchasing IMO, you must indicate the currency the IMO will be drawn upon.

For example You are in US but want to send money to UK for an auction payment. You go to USPS (United States Postal Service) branch and indicate that you would like to send 10 Euros. You will be able to pay USPS with US dollars but the IMO will be made out in Euros.

Keep in mind when paying for an auction with a international money order, you have very limited recourse. If the money order is lost in mail, you can usually get a refund when you provide your copy of IMO to the issuing institution. If the person has already cashed the IMO, you cannot retrieve the money then.

MO (Money Order)

Money Orders are cash equivalent methods of payment, often used in auctions. (Although, with advent of electronic payment methods they are becoming less popular).

As a buyer of MO, you can specify the name of the person/entity who can cash the MO, if you leave the name area blank, anyone can cash MO in question then. Also, it is recommended that you will out the From: area of the MO with your name/information.

Money Orders can be purchased at post offices of most countries (i.e. Postal Money Orders). In US another place to buy money orders would be the numerous check cashing institutions.

Keep in mind when paying for an auction with a money order, you have very limited recourse. If the money order is lost in mail, you can usually get a refund when you provide your copy of MO to the issuing institution. If the person has already cashed the MO, you cannot retrieve the money then

Comment

hihi thanks for ur reply! how does this compare with paypal in terms of value and convinience then?

Comment

paypal you do online. MO you gotta go to the post office and buy. figure out the convenience factor.

there's payko too. where you use your paypal to buy a MO. dunno how effective that is, never used it before.

Comment

oh i see.... okay thanks alot!

Comment

in my opinion it's best to use paypal, it costs much less in the end and there's no risk of the payment getting lost in the mail, which was what happened the first (and last!) time i tried paying by western union money order. plus add the cost of using registered mail, another $8 for handling fee.... it's really not worth it.

Comment

I'm trying to learn about receiving MO.

Let's say A buys a MO from PO and she has to mail me the receipt before I proceed to collect the money from any PO?

Pls correct me if I'm wrong.

Comment

Western Union

Any one knows how does western union works?

I'm helping my bf who owns a small car accessories shop, sells his 2nd hand sets to an overseas buyer.. everything went so smoothly, too good to be true..

They buyer, didn't negotiate the price and just make payment to via western union.. bidpay....
                I received an email confirmation from [email protected], saying that the order has been approved..

I went to western union webpage.. trying to check the status of the order no.. but invalid.. my order no is 9digits, wheareas they require 10digits..

The buyer is from Nigeria..
                Last edited by appie; 02-11-2004, 08:50 AM.

Comment

Heard that buying MO from Singpost will be more worth while. The exchange rate they use is much higher than local banks (ie when you use CC, it's according to the local banks rate) :roll:

Comment

Re: Western Union

Originally posted by appie
                    Any one knows how does western union works?

I'm helping my SO, who owns a small car accessories shop, sells his 2nd hand sets to an overseas buyer.. everything went so smoothly, too good to be true..

They buyer, didn't negotiate the price and just make payment to via western union.. bidpay....
                    I received an email confirmation from [email protected], saying that the order has been approved..

I went to western union webpage.. trying to check the status of the order no.. but invalid.. my order no is 9digits, wheareas they require 10digits..

The buyer is from Nigeria..
                    hi appie, i think you are right in saying it's 'too good to be true'.
                    i've just recently started to use BidPay for eBay and have made a payment to a seller. the confirmation email came from [email protected]. i don't see why yours is from @accountant.com when the transaction is via BidPay and/or WesternUnion. :huh:

i hate to say this, but i have a feeling that this could be a fake order. there have been too many email scams originating from Nigeria and other parts of Africa. i will be extremely cautious towards sales requests from such areas. :roll:

have your bf send out the goods? and i guess all correspondences were through emails? try to contact this customer again asap. politely mention that BidPay is not able to trace this number he has given and see what he says. call him in Nigeria if there is a need. as always, please ensure that emails are coming from the right addresses and do verify with all relavant parties if there is a need. he can even try to contact BidPay to see if they do ever use such an email address ( @accountant.com) and if there is really such a payment.

if that customer is not able to provide credible details, or if your bf is still worried, just cancel the order. i would rather forgo this sale than to get cheated or be worried sick.

my job scope comprises of online credit card payment services. from what i know, i would strongly recommend that if your bf wants to accept online payments for his business, he should set up a proper epayment service with recognized service providers. should there be frauds or doubts, they are able to assist him.

hope that he has not lose any money/goods yet. good luck :wish:
                    Last edited by satinchris; 25-10-2004, 02:05 PM.

Comment

Thanks Satinchris..

You are right.. it is a fake order!! I read the email from 'western union' carefully, spot a few mistakes.

1. Western Union auction payment change name to Bidpay.
                      2. The gif image is outdated.
                      3. This email is able to sign up free email account.
                      4. Like what you said, email addy should [email protected] and else.. (Went to Western Union on-line chat, confirmed that it is an invalid email add)

This is the email i received from so called Western Union!!

Dear XXXXXXXXXXX,
                      Western Union ?Auction Payments hereby congratulate you and at the same time informing you once again that the ?Money OrderSM sent to you from Supertek Store has been Approved.?Money OrderSM $1000.00SGD

You can now send the item while your money order is on its way to you, the buyer?s shipping information is provided below. You will receive your money order in 5-7 business days according to our methods of payments

Shipping information:
                      Name: Mr.Maknjuola O.Moruff
                      Address : 18,Dele Ibidun Street,Off Funmilayo Bus-Stop.
                      City : Orile-Agege
                      State : Lagos State.
                      Zip Code : 23401

If the buyer has requested that the item be sent to any address other than the one provided above, please do not ship the item and notify us immediately.

Thank you for using Western Union?Auction Payments. We look forward to serving your online auction payment needs in the future.

Sincerely,
                      Western Union Auction Payments

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                      http://www.westernunion.com/index_co...ination=global
                      https://wumt.westernunion.com/asp/qcReceiver.asp
                      __________________________________________________ __
                      Sign-up for Ads Free at Mail.com
                      http://www.mail.com/?sr=signup

The funny part is when I reply to this email, checkin the status, they responded...and this is their reply(I believe anybody reading this can spot the mistakes too)

Thank you for contacting Western Union Auction Payments. We are writing you regarding the order number 20525460 again.We recently recieve an email from you concerning your payment statue.

Sorry We apologize for any inconvenience that you may have experienced with this order.Thank you for your inquiry. Fortunately, we have this order in our system.The order went through successfully and all errors are noted. You will receive your money order 5-7 business days from the time of issue of payment confirmation letter.

Sincerely,
                      Collins MCall

Customer Service Representative
                      www.AuctionPayments.com.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                      http://www.westernunion.com/index_co...ination=global

PLEASE THIS IS AN AUTHOMATED MAIL, DO NOT REPLY.
                      __________________________________________________ _
                      Sign-up for Ads Free at Mail.com
                      http://www.mail.com/?sr=signup

After knowing this is fake, I email to the guy, told here i have more goods to supply.. ha.. he have the cheek to 'pay' me again.. but luckily.. I glad that we were not cheated by this stupid buyer
                      Last edited by appie; 25-10-2004, 03:51 PM.

Comment

If someone wants to pay me through USPS money order.

Then Where can i get the money?
                        sorry, not very sure of this money order thingy..
                        TIAs!

Comment

appie

it's fake for sure!

Hope your bf have not sent out the item yet.

IIRC, western union money transfer is almost immediate.

I used that twice to send money to my friend in taiwan and another supplier in china. The staff at SingPost helped key in my Pay Money request. I remember him pressing the enter key and telling me "Viola! Now the money can be collected the next minute!".

Comment

sorry to interrupt, is a money order the same as an international bank draft? i have a blank copy of it from Singpost, wondering if this is what you are all talking about?

Comment

Can someone help me to verify if this is for real? Below is the mail I received from [email protected]

==================================================
                              *AUCTION PAYMENT NOTIFICATION*
                              BidPay? Order Number:145785214

Dear my name ,

This is to notify you that Western Union? Auction Payments (Bidpay?)has
                              received an order placed by the buyer of your auction item to have a
                              Western Union? branded Money OrderSM from Buyer's name to inform you of
                              the order sent to you as payment for the auction item Nokia 7260. The
                              order is currently being processed. The details of the transaction are
                              stated below:
                              AUCTION SITE : Yahoo Inc.
                              AUCTION ITEM : Nokia 7260

FINANCIAL DETAILS*
                              (NOTE: All amounts are in $USD)
                              ------------------------------

AUCTION AMOUNT: $xxx.00 USD
                              SHIPPING FEES : $000.00 USD
                              TOTAL : $xxx 00 USD

Once the order is processed successfully, you will receive another
                              email from Bidpay? informing you that the order has been approved and then
                              a Western Union? branded Money OrderSM will be sent directly to you
                              once payment has been finally confirmed.

The Money OrderSM will be delivered to the address below, Please verify
                              that the name and address (As entered by the buyer)are correct:

(PLEASE NOTE: Bidpay does NOT deliver Money Orders to P.O. Boxes).

Name : my name
                              Address : my address
                              City : Non
                              State : Non
                              Zip Code : postal code
                              Email : my email

If there is an error in the name or address, Please contact the
                              technical support department immediately at:
                              [email protected] You
                              can register if you are new to Bidpay? by clicking the link below: But
                              being a new account, it will take 15 business before you can be able to
                              see your order status, because we shall have to set up an account for
                              you. You can register if you are new to Bidpay? or you can update your
                              profile if you are already a registered user.

PLEASE NOTE: This is only a notification informing you that the buyer
                              has made payment to Bidpay?, The payment is currently being processed
                              and so it is regarded as PENDING as it is still subject to APPROVAL
                              after
                              being successfully processed.

Bidpay? hereby advises you NOT to ship the merchandise until you have
                              received another message from Bidpay? stating that the order has been
                              APPROVED,Please exercise some patience as the process usually takes
                              between 6 and 24 hours.
                              *CUSTOMER SUPPORT*
                              A Bidpay Customer Support Representative has been assigned to this
                              particular order and He/She will contact you soon. You can ask Him or
                              Her
                              any questions as regards this order or any of our services. For more
                              information, you can simply visit the and read through the FAQs.

Thank you for using Western Union? Auction Payments. We look forward to
                              serving your online auction payment needs better in the future.

Bidpay Team,
                              Western Union Auction Payments
                              Bidpay Agent
                              THIS IS AN AUTOMATED MESSAGE PLEASE DO NOT REPLY

Referral ID:
                              hyjTJ8Te1XEr3XiR2KfWYT+xCzdpvb6mgYuxT0LYDsp9bEUdzv pDLua5TIAaV/+B

Comment

Working...
                              X