Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Living in Singapore!

Hi to all the pretty ladies here

I am currently living in Belgium but me and my boyfriend thinks it s too cold, expensive and boring here so he is thinking of moving to Singapore after my studies. Because of the weather and its culture and history, we think its a really beautiful country to live in.

So I was wondering how living is like in Singapore Is life expensive? I know that the weather is good.

Any tips or info are welcome!

Thanks!

Hi Wang Yang,

Actually there's this site where intensive discussion has been posted regarding your queries. Click here

A relatively good idea will be to apply for jobs in Belgium (that's where u come from) with Singapore offices. Hopefully u can ask for an international posting here, then everything will be wonderfully paid for.

HtHs!

Comment

hey wyang83!

weather wise.. singapore is normally quite rainy when it gets to the end of the year.. and it's really hot and humid for sometime in mid year..

lifestyle wise.. can't really comment.. but everything needs money..

hths!

Comment

Hey wyang! Glad to see you're considering Singapore!

Its hot and humid here so if you love the sun this is a great place! Guess the thing I love most about Singapore is the variety of cultures... think food! LOL you'll find that singaporeans are foodies and will go anywhere for a good meal!

Also Singapore is pretty small so if you're one for huge expanses of land (which I think there are tons in belgium), this is really not for you. We're very urbanized here and the closest you can get to nature is the botanical gardens, bird park and pulau ubin! That being said its a pretty green country here and quite beautiful too because the government makes sure they grow lotsa trees and stuff around! Score 1 for PAP!

Singaporeans have many quirks too...but I'm sure you'd like to find that out for yourself! I think the cost of living is pretty high here... buying a brand new car would cost you about 50,000 I think. And housing and stuff is not considered cheap compared to other countries (land is scarce).

However no matter how small Singapore is, its not a boring place to live in! The city is awake most of the time into even the wee hours and there is alot to do and see. Hope you move here soon! If you do, must meet up with all the cozycot people ya? (most of us are singaporeans)

Comment

A good source of info for you would be Belgium Luxembourg Association of Singapore

HTH!

Comment

CaramelGirl & momopeach, Thanks for both recommending very interesting sites

it very useful and loads of info!

Comment

Chiri,

I dont really mind when its raining, I guess its the monsoon season then, because when its hot & rainy, its really nice, but here its always very cold and rainy and thats horrible.

Comment

Paintedpoppies,

I love to learn about different cultures. Whats the language that the childeren learn at school: English and Chinese? Whats the language that SA's speak?

Me and my boyfriend loves try all kinds different kinds of food. Whats are special Singaporean dishes?

I live in one of the biggest city in Belgium but Belgium is a very small country so cant really compare it with any world city. I like living in cities , I am not really a country girl (have lived one year in Shanghai and loved it there). If I really wanna see nature then I got to the Ardennes or parks or Botanical gardends (love these). I love the live in a city that never sleeps where there is always something happening.

Is the cost of living like food wise more high in Singapore compared to other Asian countries? Here it is wel expensive.

I would love to meet all the pretty cozycotters here. I have already met some lovely Singaporeans on LJ, Blogger and with swapping.

Comment

Hey there!

The children here all learn english but also pick up a mother tongue - malay, tamil, chinese. (on some special cases they can pick up punjabi or other indian/hindu dialects, german, japanese or french)

There are so many Singaporean dishes...we have all sorts of food here! But do try the laksa, char kway teow, nasi lemak, curry, roti prata etc!

Well yes food is generally more expensive in Singapore than in the neighbouring countries, cost of living is also much higher so I guess that is a factor to take into consideration?

hths!

Comment

Originally posted by wyang83
                    Chiri,

I dont really mind when its raining, I guess its the monsoon season then, because when its hot & rainy, its really nice, but here its always very cold and rainy and thats horrible.
                    i can't stand it when it's cold and rainy too! it just makes it even colder.. *shivers* haha!

other than the yummy food paintedpoppies has mentioned, there's a wide variety of desserts too!
                    Last edited by chiri; 29-11-2004, 02:06 PM.

Comment

Ooh ya!! And you get to celebrate all the different ethnic festivities! More food! LOL I must seem like a huge pig! I love the nonya kueh kueh (a type of peranakan dessert)!

Comment

The food... definitely the food!

I can't imagine life would be without char kway teow, satay, curry fish head and the like........

Comment

hey there,

i have lived in Amsterdam before...so its roughly the same..and I can tell you that generally, with the Euro dollar so high now, daily living costs here is definitely cheaper than in Europe. Daily living costs meaning meals (unless you love high dining), shopping etc. But the high costs come in terms of assets like cars, houses etc. A car can set you back to 80K and a house can be anything from 200K to 900K. It really depends what you're looking for... but because you're not a citizen, and both of you will be PRs if u migrate here, you will not enjoy the subsidy the govt provides in terms of housing (HDB flats, we call them). As for jobs, u should source around and see if you can find any here....but i generally think that one should go for a pay cut when u move..

in terms of culture and people, i think the people here are not as friendly as in europe/australia/bali/thailand.. but they would be friendly if you make the first move. Well generally most Singaporeans are guarded. Plus everyone here speaks english, so it wouldnt be a problem. Small shops in the suburbs in terms of provision shops and food places usually speak Chinese/English to their customers. I suggest u take a holiday here first before u decide to move here?

all the best!

Comment

Paintedpoppies,

Everything sounds great: nice weather , nice food , lots of different cultures and I guess its still cheaper for living compared to some European countries.

Great that the mother tongue is English because my Mandarin Chinese is not the best either.

I can t wait to come on holiday soon to SG first!

Comment

Originally posted by chiri
                              i can't stand it when it's cold and rainy too! it just makes it even colder.. *shivers* haha!

other than the yummy food paintedpoppies has mentioned, there's a wide variety of desserts too!
                              Well then u really dont move to Belgium, its really cold now, the weather is all grey and dark. We have only a few days in the summer where the temperature goes over 25 degrees and thats it. I already need 3 warm water bottles in bed.

Yeap the different dishes sounds really nice, really need to try it once. I love desserts, I eat lots of sweet stuff!

Comment

Working...
                              X