Inspirational Stories/Quotes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inspirational Stories/Quotes

Who Moved My Cheese? By Spencer Johnson, M.D.

Who Moved My Cheese? is a good, little, self-help book. It's a very short book-about 90 pages, big type, and lots of white space. I've written book reviews that were longer! If you're planning to cuddle up and read a book over the weekend, you better have a back up to this one.

Despite its small size, Who Moved My Cheese? is masterful at helping people deal with a substantial, psychological roadblock-change. Who Moved My Cheese? tells the story of two mice (Sniff and Scurry) and two "little people" (Hem and Haw) trapped in a maze. Cheese is a metaphor for whatever you want in your life. For the mice, it's cheese. For the "little people," it could be success, happiness, or financial security.

One day, the foursome finds cheese in Cheese Station C. It's probably one of those researchers putting it there, but we don't know. Maybe fate or an accident has placed it there. Anyway, they all like it. They return day-after-day to eat cheese.

The mice always explore their surroundings and are looking for change. They weren't completely surprised when one day the cheese disappeared. They noticed the supply had been dwindling.

Or, even if they were surprised, when it was gone, it was gone. Sniff lifted his nose and decided upon a direction. Scurry took off in the same direction. The mice went looking for new cheese in the maze. They didn't try to hold on to a past that no longer existed.

The mice didn't analyze things too much. Change happens. They knew they had to deal with it.

The little people were different. They had come to view Cheese Station C as their home. They bragged about it. They felt it was theirs. They were outraged, shocked, scared, and befuddled when the cheese disappeared. In their comfort, they didn't notice the cheese supply had been dwindling, nor that it had become old and smelly. They had become complacent.

Hem and Haw felt the situation was unfair. It was their cheese, and now it was gone. Hem and Haw remained in Cheese Station C hoping the cheese would return and wondering where it had gone.

One day, Haw decided that waiting for the cheese to return wasn't working. He was getting weaker the longer he remained, and so, he moved into the maze looking for new cheese. He felt too old and tired to seek new cheese, and he was afraid. Afraid of the unknown, and afraid he wouldn't find new cheese, but he pressed on.

As fate would have it, Haw did find new cheese (it would be a pretty weak self-help book if he didn't!) On his cheese-seeking quest, Haw kept writing life lessons on the wall of the maze like:

"Change Happens. They keep moving the Cheese."
    "Anticipate Change. Get ready for the cheese to move."
    &
    "Enjoy Change. Savor the adventure and enjoy the taste of the new cheese!"

(Will Haw become another self-help mouse writer?)

Hem was hemmed in by his old ideas. We don't know if he ever left Cheese Station C. He may have starved, as the longer he stayed in the cheeseless station, the weaker he would become.

Anyway, learn to think more like a mouse. Don't depend upon the status quo. Realize change happens and circumstances, which may have favored you, change. Yet, you can't control change and are not entitled to things remaining the same. (An aside to employers who need to let people go: This is a great book to give the your ex-employees. They'll feel excited and optimistic about their future in the job maze. They might even be glad you terminated them!) Be ready to move looking for new cheese.

Who Moved My Cheese? provides inspirational guidance to those suffering job loss, downsizing, divorce, or altered life situations. It's message, to seek out new opportunities, makes the reader, faced with change, want to quit the "It's-not-fair" hand-wringing and seek opportunity.

Who Moved My Cheese? provides a simple, powerful message to the person confronted with unwelcome change.

---Contributed by Tryne Extracted from "Checking in from Workplace"
    Last edited by cUp; 24-02-2005, 12:13 PM.

A Scorpion befriended a Ladybug who became a loyal companion to him. A time came when she struggled to cross a challenging and dangerous river, and so the Scorpion offered to take her to the other side on his back. He had come to care for her and promised he would never harm her. But, safely across theriver, he allowed his tail to dip upon her with its venomous sting. As she lay in greatest pain, she said, "... but, you promised... why?" He shrugged and said, sadly, "Because it is my Nature."

--Extracted from friend's blog

Comment

Everything Happens For The Good

There was once a King who had a wise advisor. The advisor followed the King everywhere, and his favorite advice was, ?Everything happens for the good?. One day the King went hunting and had a little accident. He shot an arrow at his own foot and was injured. He asked the advisor what he thought about the accident, to which the advisor replied, ?Everything happens for the good?. This time the King was really upset and ordered for his advisor to be put in prison. The King asked his advisor, ?Now, what do you think?? The advisor again replied, ?Everything happens for the good?. So the advisor remained in prison. The King later went on a hunting trip, this time without the advisor. The King was then captured by some cannibals. He was taken to the cannibals' camp where he was to be the evening meal for the cannibals. Before putting him into the cooking pot he was thoroughly inspected. The cannibals saw the wound on the King?s foot and decided to throw him back into the jungle. According to the cannibals' tradition, they would not eat anything that was imperfect. As a result the King was spared. The King suddenly realized what his advisor said was true. The advisor also escaped death because had he not been in prison, he would have followed the King on the hunting trip, and would have ended up in the cooking pot.

Comment

Life
        Life is an opportunity, benefit from it.
        Life is beauty, admire it.
        Life is bliss, taste it.
        Life is a dream, realise it.
        Life is a challenge, meet it.
        Life is a duty, complete it.
        Life is a game, play it.
        Life is costly, care for it.
        Life is wealth, keep it.
        Life is love, enjoy it.
        Life is mystery, know it.
        Life is a promise, fulfil it.
        Life is sorrow, overcome it.
        Life is a song, sing it.
        Life is a struggle, accept it.
        Life is tragedy, confront it.
        Life is an adventure, dare it.
        Life is luck, make it.
        Life is too precious, do not destroy it.
        Life is life, fight for it.
        - Mother Teresa -

Comment

Conversation with God

I like this one, hope you'll like it too

God: Hello. Did you call me?

Me: Called you? No. Who is this?

God: This is GOD. I heard your prayers. So I thought I will chat.

Me: I do pray. Just makes me feel good. I am actually busy now. I am in the midst of something.

God: What are you busy at? Ants are busy too.

Me: Don't know. But I can't find free time. Life has become hectic. It's rush hour all the time.

God: Sure. Activity gets you busy. But productivity gets you results. Activity consumes time. Productivity frees it.

Me: I understand. But I still can't figure out. By the way, I was not expecting YOU to buzz me on instant messaging chat.

God: Well, I wanted to resolve your fight for time, by giving you some clarity. In this net era, I wanted to reach you through the medium you are comfortable with.

Me: Tell me, why has life become complicated now?

God: Stop analyzing life. Just lives it. Analysis is what makes it complicated.

Me: Why are we then constantly unhappy?

God: Your today is the tomorrow that you worried about yesterday. You are worrying because you are analyzing. Worrying has become your habit. That's why you are not happy.

Me: But how can we not worry when there is so much uncertainty?

God: Uncertainty is inevitable, but worrying is optional.

Me: But then, there is so much pain due to uncertainty...

God: Pain is inevitable, but suffering is optional.

Me: If suffering is optional, why do good people always suffer?

God: Diamond cannot be polished without friction. Gold cannot be purified without fire. Good people go through trials, but don't suffer. With that experience their life become better, not bitter.

Me: You mean to say such experience is useful?

God: Yes. In every term, Experience is a hard teacher. She gives the test first and the lessons afterwards.

Me: But still, why should we go through such tests? Why can't we be free from problems?

God: Problems are
          Purposeful
          Roadblocks
          Offering
          Beneficial
          Lessons to
          Enhance
          Mental
          Strength.
          Inner strength comes from struggle and endurance, not when you are free from problems.

Me: Frankly in the midst of so many problems, we don't know where we are heading...

God: If you look outside you will not know where you are heading. Look inside. Looking outside, you dream. Looking inside, you awaken. Eyes provide sight. Heart provides insight.

Me: Sometimes not succeeding fast seems to hurt more than moving in the right direction. What should I do?

God: Success is a measure as decided by others. Satisfaction is a measure as decided by you. Knowing the road ahead is more satisfying than knowing you rode ahead. You work with the compass. Let others work with the clock.

Me: In tough times, how do you stay motivated?

God: Always look at how far you have come rather than how far you have to go. Always count your blessing, not what you are missing.

Me: What surprises you about people?

God: When they suffer they ask, "why me?" When they prosper, they never ask "Why me?" Everyone wishes to have truth on their side, but few want to be on the side of the truth.

Me: Sometimes I ask, who am I, why am I here. I can't get the answer.

God: Seek not to find who you are, but to determine who you want to be. Stop looking for a purpose as to why you are here.
          Create it. Life is not a process of discovery, but a process of creation.

Me: How can I get the best out of life?

God: Face your past without regret. Handle your present with confidence. Prepare for the future without fear.

Me: One last question. Sometimes I feel my prayers are not answered.

God: There are no unanswered prayers. At times the answer is NO.

Me: Thank you for this wonderful chat. I am so happy to start the New Day with a new sense of inspiration.

God: Well. Keep the faith and drop the fear. Don't believe your doubts and doubt your beliefs. Life is a mystery to solve, not a problem to resolve. Trust me. Life is wonderful if you know how to live.

Comment

good one!!!!!!

Comment

truly inspired. thank you.

Comment

anymore?

Comment

Definitely, but i'll have to dig thru my blog first

Comment

I like this one very much but it is in Chinese.. Not too sure if it is okay to post Chinese, please delete if not appropriate

谁是前世埋你的人?

书生拿着书在打瞌睡。

欣赏他的人说,你瞧,他多用功,睡着了还拿着书。

不欣赏他的人说,你瞧,他多懒惰,一拿着书就睡着了。

看的人不同了,书生就不是那个书生了。

你爱他的时候,他的缺点都是优点,你不爱他了,他的优点也成了缺点。

看的眼光不同了,他就不是他了。

和一个人牵手的时候,就以为会是一生一世的相守。 等到隔着太长的一段心路望回来, 才惊讶的发现, 虽然彼此都那么熟稔的活在彼此的身边,却连相互述说的欲望都已经没有。 是的, 冷眼旁观着,彼此都在不知不觉中成了河川。 而河川, 永远都只会觉得是对方这座桥在走。

有一则佛教故事。

从前有个书生, 和未婚妻约好在某年某月某日结婚。到那一天,未婚妻却嫁给了别人。书生受此打击, 一病不起。这时, 路过一游方僧人,从怀里摸出一面镜子叫书生看。

书生看到茫茫大海,一名遇害的女子一丝不挂地躺在海滩上。路过一人, 看一眼,摇摇头, 走了。又路过一人, 将衣服脱下给女尸盖上,走了。再路过一人,过去,挖个坑,小心翼翼把尸体掩埋了。

僧人解释道, 那具海滩上的女尸,就是你未婚妻的前世。你是第二个路过的人,曾给过他一件衣服. 她今生和你相恋, 只为还你一个情。但是她最终要报答一生一世的人, 是最后那个把她掩埋的人, 那人就是他现在的丈夫。

书生大悟。

前世,究竟是谁埋了你?

金岳霖找到了林徽音。他用一生的孤独来回报林这位前世埋了他的人。

徐志摩找到了谁? ?我将于茫茫人海中访我唯一灵魂的伴侣, 得之, 我幸;不得,我命。 如此而已。 ? 这是他在追求陆小曼时说的话。他轻轻的从林徽音的身边走了, 正如他轻轻的来, 他轻轻的挥手,没有带走林身边的一朵云彩。 为了满足陆奢靡的生活, 他频繁的往来于南北授课,在碧蓝的天空中,他把他34岁的生命回报给了前世埋他的陆小曼。

人们从奈何桥上匆匆走过。

孟婆说:?行路的人,喝碗孟婆汤解解渴。? 口渴的人心急的喝了。 于是, 那个前世埋他们的人, 在他们头脑中渐渐模糊了。他们开始惊惶的四处张望,妄图在茫茫人海中寻找今生的爱人。 ?众里寻它千百度, 蓦然回首, 那人却在灯火阑珊处。 ?其实, 你携起他的手时,就是前世残存的记忆在提醒你了, 前世埋你的人, 就是你身边与你相濡以沫的爱人啊。

欣赏那个打瞌睡的书生吧。他真的很用功,你瞧,他睡着了还拿着书呢。

月光下的大海,泛着粼粼的波。

朋友说,无期,和你的爱人去看看月光下的大海吧,在大海的最深处,也许就藏着你前生的记忆呢。

我在屏幕前轻轻的笑了。三生石上的旧精魂,真的不是一个美丽的传说么?与前世埋过我的爱人,携手在银色的沙 滩,那该是今生最完美的一种幸福了吧。

我从奈何桥上走过。

孟婆说:?行路的人,喝碗孟婆汤解解渴。?

不,不不,我不喝,我宁愿在忘川河边忍受水淹火炙的磨折,我也一定要记得,前世,是谁埋了我。

前天吃晚饭的时候,我把这个佛教故事讲给先生听。沉默良久,他说,前世是我埋了你,是不?我的眼泪,突然就 不争气的流下来了。

这是网路上流传许久的一篇文章,出自谁的手笔却不详。

与你分享,不管你是第一次还是第N次看

Comment

lol! i want to visit your blog too! can i?

I can't read chinese well! HELP ..will try my best to read it when i have mood...i read chinese damn slow...

Comment

有一则佛教故事。

从前有个书生, 和未婚妻约好在某年某月某日结婚。到那一天,未婚妻却嫁给了别人。书生受此打击, 一病不起。这时, 路过一游方僧人,从怀里摸出一面镜子叫书生看。

书生看到茫茫大海,一名遇害的女子一丝不挂地躺在海滩上。路过一人, 看一眼,摇摇头, 走了。又路过一人, 将衣服脱下给女尸盖上,走了。再路过一人,过去,挖个坑,小心翼翼把尸体掩埋了。

僧人解释道, 那具海滩上的女尸,就是你未婚妻的前世。你是第二个路过的人,曾给过他一件衣服. 她今生和你相恋, 只为还你一个情。但是她最终要报答一生一世的人, 是最后那个把她掩埋的人, 那人就是他现在的丈夫。
                        cup, The juice of this article, IMHO, is quoted above.

i first heard of this story on YES93.3, recited by LingZi in her Music Story segment... touching~

Comment

Would like to share this with fellow cotters, hope you find it meaningful as i did.

I asked God to take away my habit.
                          God said, No.
                          It is not for me to take away, but for you to give it up.

I asked God to make my handicapped child whole.
                          God said, No.
                          His spirit is whole, his body is only temporary

I asked God to grant me patience.
                          God said, No.
                          Patience is a byproduct of tribulations;
                          it isn't granted, it is learned.

I asked God to give me happiness.
                          God said, No.
                          I give you blessings; Happiness is up to you.

I asked God to spare me pain.
                          God said, No.
                          Suffering draws you apart from worldly cares
                          and brings you closer to me.

I asked God to make my spirit grow.
                          God said, No.
                          You must grow on your own! ,
                          but I will prune you to make you fruitful.

I asked God for all things that I might enjoy life.
                          God said, No.
                          I will give you life, so that you may enjoy all things.

I ask God to help me LOVE others, as much as He loves me.
                          God said...Ahhhh, finally you have the idea.

Comment

Put the glass of water down

A lecturer was giving a lecture to his student on stress management.

He raised a glass of water and asked the audience, "How heavy do you think
                            this glass of water is?"

The students' answers ranged from 20g to 500gm.

"It does not matter on the absolute weight. It depends on how long you hold it. If I hold it for a minute, it is Ok.

If I hold it for an hour, I will have an ache in my right arm. If I hold it
                            for a day, you will have to call an ambulance.

It is the exact same weight, but the longer I hold it, the heavier it
                            becomes."

"If we carry our burdens all the time, sooner or later, we will not be able
                            to carry on, the burden becoming increasingly heavier."

"What you have to do is to put the glass down, rest for a while before
                            holding it up again."

We have to put down the burden periodically, so that we can be refreshed and
                            are able to carry on.

So before you return home from work tonight, put the burden of work down.
                            Don't carry it back home. You can pick it up tomorrow.

Life is short, enjoy it!!

Comment

hi ohce, i like the chinese story! very meaningful! anymore to share with us? btw, you know where can i find such stories online?

Comment

Working...
                              X