Let's Go Dutch?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Let's Go Dutch?

How do you girls split the dinner bill when you dine out with friends? Do you divide the total amount by the number of people? Or do you calculate exactly the amount your dish cost + 15% (service charge & tax)?

My best friend was complaining to me about a gathering she had last week with four other ex-classmates, and one of the girls insisted on paying the exact amount her platter of fish & chips cost instead of dividing the bill five-ways. She thought it was very calculative & troublesome, since everyone's main course more or less cost the same (perhaps only a difference of $2 or so?). So yeah, there was plenty of bitching!

Dine at Marche. haha.

With most of my friends we split according to what we eat because we have different appetite sizes and some wanna order dessert while others are content with their salads.

Comment

For me: I'll use the total amount to divide by how many person we have. For few dollars, usually my friends didn't bother about it. As we seldom get together for a meal why need to be so calculative.

Comment

depends on the group and what they ate. if difference isn't much, then just split according to number of people.
        if there's desserts/appetisers/drinks that are added on, then split according to order.

Comment

nothing wrong with the lady insists on paying her exact charges for that fish & chip. Simple calculation: fish&chip price + 15% tax = her share.

in the first place, why are the girls so unwilling to split to their share unless spliting to 5 is their advantage... :roll:

Comment

Originally posted by ShoppingQueenie
            For me: I'll use the total amount to divide by how many person we have. For few dollars, usually my friends didn't bother about it. As we seldom get together for a meal why need to be so calculative.
            Yeps, what ShoppingQueenie has said just about sums up my best friend's point of view.

If everyone's food costs more or less the same, I think it's fine to split it equally. But of course, if one girl orders only an appetiser, then she shouldn't be made to pay for what the others ate. In this case, probably it'll be fairer to pay for only what one eats?

Anyway, the girl in question works as an accountant, so probably that's a occupational hazard :eh:

Comment

then it really self explain she really go by the book.

Comment

Well, if everyone's food cost more or less the same, it will be easier to split it just 5 ways isnt it? :eh: it's so troublesome to calculate the exact amt for tax and service charge...

in my case, i dont meet up with friends very often so i'm fine with paying abit more, as long as everyone is happy!

Comment

well, IMO it's perfectly fine to split up by the number of people.

but normally i'll be the one paying first (discounts!) and my friends will pay me back. i don't really bother with all the tax and stuff.

Comment

To me, "more or less" means there's still a difference, and if that person's not willing, then let her be. If it's $2 not including taxes, it can mean plenty to her. The more magnanimous and less petty people can simply stop bitching about it - if they're indeed less petty. End of story.

Comment

I feel that even if my friend pays more this time, the next time I pay that little bit more....it all works out in the end between us friends...nothing to be nit-picky about. But if I have a friend who wants to pay exact, that's really her right to do so and no one should put her down for it. Have some respect, money might mean close-to-nothing for some, but alot to others

Comment

I totally agree with daphz! $2 might not mean much to your best friend but to the other gal who happen to be an accountant it can be substantial amount.

With very very good friends, treat this time and get treated another day or split equally among each other even thou afew dollars difference is fine because we have been good friends for sooo long.

But with normal friends/classmates/colleagues, better split exactly because to you its nothing but they might be feeling upset. Using handphone calculator is easy not troublesome to split the amount.

Comment

i think if it was me, i'd prefer to split exactly with people who are not so close to me too.

but if close friends, i don't mind cause this time round, i might be the one treating her, the next time she'll be treating me. afterall, it's really embrassing to be so calculative when you're with good friends.

Comment

usually we will pay for what we eat and split the extra charges? there are times we don't split the extra charges cos' it's just a dollar or two.

Comment

It really depends on who I'm eating with. If with friends that I'm not as close too, we usually pay for what we eat since some people might not be happy with splitting equally. If with my close girlfriends we just split it equally since we usually order wine, appetisers and desserts to share anyway and it just makes it easier to calculate.

Comment

Working...
                              X