Do you keep the change?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you keep the change?

Do majority of you always leave the change untaken after having meals in restaurant? I've a habit of wanting to keep very single cents into my pocket instead of practicing " Keep the change: habit. Once in a blue moon i will but most of the times i don't. Am i stingy??

I feel that since i've already paid for 5% Goods and services tax it should be enough, some even charge 1% cess. My SO always tell me to give them the change but i always tell him if you don't want it, then let me keep the change instead

Ditto. I do the same too, not only we paid the 5% GST, an additional 10% is charged too, involuntarily, even if the service is CRAPPY!

Don't see no reason to leave more unless the service is exceptional.

I hate to be volunteered. Where's our freedom of choice???

Comment

I used to leave the coins behind, but then they do charge 10percent service charge in most restaurants, which can add up to quite a substantial amount!!

Also, quite a number of times, I get pissed when I get my change in all coins?? Not sure if they run out of dollar notes, but I find that its especially true if the change given to me can be easily given in notes.

Nope I don't think you are stingy

Comment

I think you are not stingy in this aspect. The 10% service charge is more than enough IMO in normal situations

There are times when I feel that the service is extremely good and I feel obliged to leave a few coins when I receive the change. I usually take the notes and maybe leave a dollar or 50cents behind.

Comment

My parents used to leave the coins as tips in Singapore, but I'm trying to break the habit because of the service charge. Didn't realize it when I was young. We don't eat out much now so no problems. In Australia they have a decent minimum wage, and I try not to tip as well especially if service is crappy. We all work hard for our money. I don't mind making life a bit easier for other people, but only if they go out of their way to serve. It's part of their job to provide good service. We should not be rewarding people for being unprofessional. In the US the minimum wage is really crappy, but the tips are usually 15% and above. I try to tip a bit when I'm there but if the service is crappy I just don't bother. I had a guy take a roll of bread that was part of my main course - I'm paying good money for a lobster salad that had next to no lobster in it, and you're stiffing me of a <$1 roll? I only left the coins. They get lots of tourists there so they're not afraid of winding up. I ain't rewarding that kind of behavior. This was in San Francisco. I'm averse to dining out in Singapore as well now because of crappy service everywhere.

Comment

Originally posted by ginger
            Also, quite a number of times, I get pissed when I get my change in all coins?? Not sure if they run out of dollar notes, but I find that its especially true if the change given to me can be easily given in notes.
            i heard this from SO (he used to do part time waitering eons ago. ), his colleagues would tell him to give more coins in the change so the customers wouldn't be bothered to get them and they can keep them as tips.

me and SO are poor people, so we'll normally take all the change. otherwise, we'll pay by card! solves the problem. hee!

Comment

If you are tourist in US, I guess you can afford not to leave even a single tip. Should you need to visit the eating place often, I guess it would be pretty unwise. E.g they could be spitting into your food before serving.. and the likes of it.

Comment

In the past, I do leave the change for the waiter but I find that the service in Singapore going from bad to worse! Nowadays I will just keep every single coins that the waiters give, why should we give since we had already give the 10% service charge and the service is not fantastic either.

Comment

Originally posted by chiri
                  i heard this from SO (he used to do part time waitering eons ago. ), his colleagues would tell him to give more coins in the change so the customers wouldn't be bothered to get them and they can keep them as tips.

me and SO are poor people, so we'll normally take all the change. otherwise, we'll pay by card! solves the problem. hee!
                  chiri: i heard of this too.. so people 'pai-seh'(embarrased, sp?) to pick up the coins.
                  i don't care, will bug my SO to pay by cards.. especially some restaurant have additional dis.

you girls keep talking about the 10% service charge. whatabout the 1% cess charge?

so total bill gotta multiply by 1.16/1.17
                  *realize i'm not the only one who keep change
                  Last edited by luv_shan; 28-02-2005, 10:52 PM.

Comment

If there's 10% service charge, mostly i'll keep everything. I work as part-time SA, sometimes I really feel like scolding the young customers(around 15 or so) when they tell me "keep the change"... obviously they are not spending their own money !! even its only a few cents.. I don't think they should do it that way !!

Comment

When me and my bf dine out together,I would tell him to keep the change after paying the 16%. I think guys tend to be more generous in this aspect and usually would just leave the coins as tips. But sometimes if we're dining at places which do not have a 10% service charge and service is good,we'll leave a small tip.
                      I think it's pretty fair this way.

Comment

I will take all my change even if they are in coins... Service charge has already been counted into the total amount in the bill, i see no reason for me to 'tip' them further unless its exceptionally good service.

Comment

I will definitely keep the change. Unless I found the service really good, then I'll leave the change and a small tip. Otherwise I see no point in leaving the change since we're already paying service charge. Which brings me to the point, why should service charge be mandatory? The prices in restaurants are already significantly higher than that of food courts. So doesn't it already comprise service charge? IMO, service charge should be voluntary and the amount should be entirely up to the patron to decide. If the service was commendable, I don't mind tipping more.

Comment

i definitely keep the change cos the service here is SO lousy. i had much much better service in australia and canada so i dont mind tipping them

Comment

I will keep my change if there is 10% service charged but some of the places don't practise that so I will leave my change behind e.g. pasta fresco. But I noticed their service getting worst...isit because they never charged us service charge in the 1st place? :roll:

Comment

Working...
                              X