Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Positive or negative?

what say you?

after reading tons of rants and unhappiness encounters on this forum, i am thinking "are we a bunch of negative people here?"

i am a positive person generally
    there are days when i feel like useless and bitchy and would like to rant and rant (especially to mates on msn)

however i always move on and try to make changes abt my "negativity"

do you?

In general, I'm quite a realist ( which I believe to be also a pessimist )

I get into bouts of 'depression' alot but tries to keep myself on what my friend here would call 'caffeine high'

A lot of things seems to matter less after I stop working as full time employee for companies, a lot less work issues and probably happier in some sense..

Comment

i think that it's part of daily life. we have our bad hair days and such. One should move on and look at the brighter side rather to concentrate on something that will makes us feel bad and lousy. I'm one positive person too

Comment

There're days when I feel utterly negative, and just wanna rant it all out. But after that, I feel much better. The positive side of me just tell me to get it over with! No use dwelling on negative thoughts even after ranting, unless it's something serious.

I guess I'll like to see myself as a more positive person also, but sometimes I think being positive takes more effort than negative. When something bad occurs/things don't work out well one just automatically feels negative at that moment, and [email protected]#$% words/thoughts just come out effortlessly. Ever heard of this term 'negativity bias'?

Baobei, being pessimistic is good in a sense that it 'protects' u from the bad news, as u're prepared for the worst so bad news or events won't come as a shock to u. But being too pessimistic in general makes one a sad person, looking at the world thru 'grey-tinted glasses' (if there's such a term).

Comment

I never thought of it that way, Baobei I'm certainly a pessimist. I'll be quoting you if I ever wanna..er, express out loud my 2 cents what I think about our existential life on earth..

Comment

I call myself an optimistic pessimist

Ok, ultimately still a pessimist but like what you girls have mentioned earlier, it's not constructive at all if you keep harping on the negative stuffs.

For me, besides worrying about the worst, I will also go a few steps further. I'll plan for contigency and seek for alternatives should the worst really happen.

When the guys plan to go kite-flying, a pessimist will normally think about what if it rains (typical mood spoiler ). An optimistic pessimist (me me me!) will think about the same stuff, BUT, goes on to think what are the other activities that can be done indoor, near the kite-flying site (marina south)? The optimistic pessimist starts flipping the yellowpages searching for the number of the bowling alley and the ktv

Tiring at times, but can't help it

Comment

I'm a realist pessimist perfectionist. I don't believe in making life difficult for people, but I cannot bring myself to imagine the best-case scenario in any given situation. I try my best to do what I am expected to, and what I excel in. Perhaps this is why I've always been a high achiever. It's never good enough. I would still like to think there is positivity in this world though.

Comment

Very much bedroom critic, hopeful cynic.

Comment

i used to be optimistic but things start going haywire.........

since teenage.....till now.....thing never go my way........i realise i am not one who asked for impossible....but seems to have to go through alot of bumpy ride....

the latest one been going to a fortune teller.....she told me there is a 3rd party in my relationship....then told me there will be 'jie guo'/ending to be exact....

i perceive it positively that this relationship will end positively........

one week later he told me he is seeing someone.......we break off due to that....

how accurate can she be???......i for sure didnt think it is a bad ending.....

Comment

this is a good thread. I used to think I am a realist, that is, whatever I perceive is true and will happen. But actually, if from an outsider's point of view, I am negative, very negative. I always imagine the worst that MIGHT happpen. hopefully with my new found religion, I will improve on this.

Comment

i used to be very optimistic, but now its a 360 degree change. i think i'm what one can call a pessimist/realist. i always try to prepare myself for the worst possible situation that can occur - so i mean, if you're prepared for the worst, and things turn out better, you'll feel happy

but when talking to friends, especially those who are like moody or upset. then i suddenly turn into an optimist and start telling them to look on the bright side and all that.

so contradictory.

Comment

Re: Positive or negative?

Originally posted by natnatviv
                        after reading tons of rants and unhappiness encounters on this forum, i am thinking "are we a bunch of negative people here?"
                        Not being specific to cc here... I think it is human nature to whine/complain/rant instead of focusing on the blessings and raving about it. One reason is that by saying the bad stuff which happened to you, you're subconsciously hoping that the other party has a similar experience to relate, and if she does that, the negativity of your own situation becomes diluted and you feel a tad better. It's some psychological thing I read somewhere

I'm pessimistic. The world ain't a happy place.

Comment

I am usually a pessimist. I think of the worst case scenario all the time, and in fact, I'm not sure whether I have much trust in human relationships and people.

Comment

Re: Re: Positive or negative?

Originally posted by daphz
                            Not being specific to cc here... I think it is human nature to whine/complain/rant instead of focusing on the blessings and raving about it. One reason is that by saying the bad stuff which happened to you, you're subconsciously hoping that the other party has a similar experience to relate, and if she does that, the negativity of your own situation becomes diluted and you feel a tad better. It's some psychological thing I read somewhere

i am thinking more to the view that "when we are unhappy, do we act on it?"

whineing is okie, but acting on it is also important IMO

Comment

I'd say I'm positive most of the times. I like to wake up feeling beautiful & the weather's fine, (yes, say hot.) I like to think that when a bad thing happens to me, a good one will follow soon after. I have always believe if you are a happy person, then you will be able to bring love and happiness to other people. In any case, I'm still a human, I do not smile & laugh all the time. There are times once a while I break down completely & cry myself silly, but at the end of the day, I count my blessings & am more than happy I've a home to nest myself & a few caring souls who truly love me.
                              Last edited by huishan; 14-03-2005, 03:42 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X