The commonly confused words

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The commonly confused words

Good communication is not necessarily about using an expansive vocabulary. It is about properly using the words and punctuation you already know.

The results of this test will reflect your level of appropriate word usage, with a little bonus test on commonly confused punctuation in one question. Try not to cheat even though you know there's an answer key! ;-) Above all else, have fun!!!

Some of the questions have multiple correct answers, so don't fret if you think there are some "American" answers and some "British" answers. This was done so that it doesn't matter where you live, you will still receive the same score. :-)

http://okcupid.com/tests/take?testid...00288064322170

My results:

You scored 92% Beginner, 92% Intermediate, 93% Advanced, and 70% Expert!
    Last edited by xiaozhu85; 02-04-2005, 11:54 AM.

Comment

Almost perfect score *grin* It's always the Critique or Criticize/Criticise, Nauseated and Nauseaous, and Toward/Towards and While/Whilst that got me stuck for a bit

Comment

Yes yes.. was stuck between while and whilst. Got me confused for quite a while

Comment

I got an expert score?! I thought the questions are pretty easy.

Comment

You scored 85% Beginner, 100% Intermediate, 100% Advanced, and 70% Expert

LOL, what happened to my beginner??

Comment

LOL! You cracked me up, Jean!

Yes, they're quite easy, Gin

Comment

Originally posted by Jean
                You scored 85% Beginner, 100% Intermediate, 100% Advanced, and 70% Expert

LOL, what happened to my beginner??

I am the same! I scored 92% Beginner, 100% Intermediate, 93% Advanced, and 70% Expert! Higher in intermediate than beginner. Supposedly 'exceptional' score. But looks like I need to relearn my ABCs!

Comment

LOL Cheng, it's true! Better go back to primary school and relearn my english! I still dunno how to use stuff like noun, pronoun, verb etc... I go by feeling! heh.

Comment

LOL! Did you check which questions you answered wrongly, Jean and Pikin?

Gin -> What's your % for Expert? Can't recall if I got an "Advanced" grading or something else.

Comment

Nope I didn't! heh, oh well... too damn lazy I guess, heh at least my unorthodox language has served me well during tests/exams still so nothing much to worry about.

Comment

English Genius
                        You scored 85% Beginner, 92% Intermediate, 87% Advanced, and 76% Expert!
                        You did so extremely well, even I can't find a word to describe your excellence! You have the uncommon intelligence necessary to understand things that most people don't. You have an extensive vocabulary, and you're not afraid to use it properly! Way to go!
                        Thank you so much for taking my test. I hope you enjoyed it!

:booty: :booty:

Comment

i went to check for the correct answers. Well, learnt something new today...

The words I and me can sometimes get confusing. There are two rules that make using these two words very simple.
                          1) Never put yourself first.
                          2) Remove the other person from the equation.
                          In this sentence, remove Naomi. Would you say "He went to the banquet with I", or "He went to the banquet with me"? Me is the correct choice in this sentence.

Comment

Don't fret, Jean and Pikin. Looks like even if you don't score well in the Beg/Int/Adv sections you'd most likely be labelled as the Genius! I'm curious now which you answered right
                            Last edited by Glossie; 02-04-2005, 03:28 PM.

Comment

Advanced
                              You scored 100% Beginner, 100% Intermediate, 93% Advanced, and 58% Expert!

I felt like I was back in primary school, doing all those grammar exercises!

Comment

Working...
                              X