Trustworthy charities: do they exist?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trustworthy charities: do they exist?

Now that I lost faith in NKF, are there any trustworthy charities that genuinely want to help people? Sometime after the tsunami I also heard that Red Cross is also not that honest What's left?

I think if we want to know which organisations are trustworthy we need to do a little bit of "homework"..it's not quite TRUE if we were to read from rumours...You can understand the situation more if u check it out yourself

Comment

Hmm, I guess it may not be much use even if we do our "homework", unless the organisations themselves are transparent regarding where they put our donation funds to start with. At the end of the day, it takes the relevant authorities such as the lawyers and auditors, or the 'insiders' to give the public the full scoop of all these corruption within.

The said organization really need to thoroughly "clean up their act", after this is really gonna cost them their reputation. Am not that peeved that our own hard earned money towards donation(which is probably just a fraction of our total income); compared to the fact that our donation funds were not put to the best use towards those who really need the money desperately. :roll:

Comment

Actually, do they get audited on a yearly basis? If so, why didnt the audit co. bring up any discrepancies? :roll:

Comment

Non-profit organizations don't require audit? Correct me if I'm wrong.

It is indeed sad to hear such news.
          The best way is to use our money and buy necessities for the needy, donate blood & help out in a non-monetary way. Surely they can't use our blood and eat the canned food?

Comment

Hmm, if I'm not wrong, every legal organization requires audit. More so in such so-called non profit NGOs. Maybe except for those REAL charity organizations like religious based which only makes use of volunteers. The staffs at N** have paid salaries so is subject to this like any other organizations.

But I dunno if the auditors could really do anything about it until the legal authorities step into the picture. Since all along, they have been extravagant.

Comment

If there's any discrepancies, i thought audit co. should take action to inform legal authorities? N** had overstated the number of patients they are treating..

anyway, dont know much about such legal stuffs..its well complicating...It's very weird that no legal authorities are taking actions in getting things justified..it's only until this case was brought up that everything comes to light after some "investigations" by the lawyers

Comment

About the overstating of patients, that of course. But about the CEO getting paid a really high salary (since some time already), plus the other extravagant costs, I don't know if the audit could really do anything about it also. I mean, they can't really say that to their client: I think ur salary is too high" right?

They just needed some concrete proofs, before the whole issue could really be brought up.

Comment

I guess nobody could have guessed they are earning so much! You know that CEO's salary is like 3 years of mine? And he's earning all in 1 month. :Doh: The worst thing is he thinks its so so so damn right, using people's money. Shits.

Comment

Yeah but if they are non-profit and publicly funded..of cos those amount of salaries comes from the donations right? if not, where else? Im not sure if im right, so everything has got to be justified in one way or another...

and yes regarding the overstating of patients. isnt that not enough?

Comment

Yeah, totally agree with u gals about the high salary part. Most normal human beings who work hard for a decent income would probably nod their head vigorously in agreement. But what I was saying is, even if the audit felt the same way about the too-high incomes of the staff, there wasn't much they could do because I don't think there was any legislation regarding what is the salary cap of personnel in charity, non profit organizations.

It only took the blatant dishonesty on N**'s part, such as the overstatement of no. of patients, and lying of the estimation of the funds being only available for 3 yrs (when in actual the reserves could last for 30 years), drastic measures had to be taken.

Note: The above info is quoted from here
                      Last edited by vantastica; 13-07-2005, 03:15 PM.

Comment

Check this up

For those who have contributed to the NKF funds and would like to voice out their views on the recent news.

http://www.petitiononline.com/nkfs/

* This email is circulating around my office

Comment

Other than the CEO's super high salary, it is also his refusal to declare how much he earned that bothers me as well. I'm quite surprised to know that CEO of stated companies and Ministers will have their salaries stated in newspapers as their salaries come from the public/people.
                          I'm very disappointed with NKF and I doubt I will donate anymore in the future. I believe other charities need the exposure and funds as well instead of having NKF fundraisers every year.

Comment

Just a little head's up, heard on news broadcast on radio that at least 1200 account holders have terminated their GIRO accounts for monthly contribution to NKF as of 12pm noon.

Comment

I recalled that those people who sell those charity tickets for $2 near MRT stations actually earn commission to sell those tickets? I think they earn about 50cents a piece.

Comment

Working...
                              X